Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

Registered
Big question: if Maria does not have an MDWC for the AO, why throw away the PR? Look what happened in 2019 when she tried to play the grass season, and it cost her a PR she could use now.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Big question: if Maria does not have an MDWC for the AO, why throw away the PR? Look what happened in 2019 when she tried to play the grass season, and it cost her a PR she could use now.
That would mean she cannot play until March.

Not sure PR and WC can be used simultaneously as PR is supposed to be a return from injury hence a selected amount of tournaments is allowed. But correct me if I am wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Very strong field and one of the toughest tournament of the season.

Hope for a few matches for Maria and obviously health.

Premium Member
As expected in a tournament like this...tough draw:

(1)Barty v BYE
(wc)Sharapova v Q
Stephens v Q
Pavlyuchenkova v (5)Kvitova

(4)Svitolina v Collins
Vekic v Q
(wc)Stosur v Kerber
Q v (8)Keys

(6)Bertens v Yastremska
Kontaveit v Hsieh
Kenin v Sevastova
Sakkari v (3)Osaka

(7)Konta v Strycova
Riske v Muchova
(wc)Tomljanovic v (wc)Hon
(2)Pliskova v BYE

Premium Member
If she can get to the second round Barty will be a nice test for her to see where she is at. She will probably be off to Kooyong after that but hopefully with a few matches under her best.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
So safe to say she doesn鈥檛 play till Tuesday since Qualifying doesn鈥檛 finish till Monday.

Registered
I was optimistic that she drew a qualifier in R1 but then saw Putintseva, Mladenovic, and Bouzkova are in qualies. Could still be a rough 1st round for Maria but we'll see who actually comes through and where they get placed.

Registered

Registered
Mlerrelevant out thankfully. The one player I couldn't stand getting a win over a rusty Yuryevna.

Hope she can win R1 regardless who she plays. A match against Barry would be a good test if nothing else.

Did anyone watch the full Abu Dhabi exho? How did she play? I know exho isn't a competitive match but I'm sure Maria took it seriously. ROS looked good from highlights but they never tell full story.

Premium Member
I thought she played quite well in Abu Dhabi...there are some pretty decent long highlights on YouTube.

I鈥檓 guessing after that she thought she was ready to play maindraw matches and confirmed her WC for Brisbane and ditched Hawaii.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
So I went to watch her practice this evening.

It looks like just a light practice on rallies and some points and serve practice here and there.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts