Tennis Forum banner

Brighter future, Kontaveit or Siniakova?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
35,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Too much fire. :laugh2:

Random thread I know but I'm really interested to see which one of these 2 TF rates higher atm. TF probably rates Anett higher atm due to her impressive GS showings so far which is pretty reasonable but let's look deeper into their games and what they do differently (better/or worse than the other).

Both of them are at the same height and almost same age (Anett is only 5 months older than Katka). Anett has 1 WTA title to her name whereas Katka has 2. Anett reached higher ranking however and performed better at the slams at this point.

Game-wise comparison:

Serve: Siniakova

Before 2018, my answer would have been easily Anett since Katka's serve was more of a weakness than a strength before this year. She was serving was more DFs than aces and her service motion wasn't as smooth. This year, she improved her serve significantly and it's a legit weapon. Anett's serve is a weapon as well but not quite as good as Katka's serve imo.

Forehand: Kontaveit.

Anett easily has the better FH and can easily boss the points with it. Most of the time she puts good amount of spin, power and control on it. Katka's FH on the other hand is pretty streaky and way more likely to break down.

Backhand: Siniakova

Well, Katka's BH is pretty special to say the least. Short-backswing allows her to take the ball extremely early consistently and that takes time away from her opponents. Sublime accuracy, pace and unlike her FH, her BH is pretty reliable shot. She has the ability to hit it from the most difficult positions and has no issue generation plenty of pace with her BH despite the short backswing. With all that said, Anett's BH is pretty good as well but think Katka's BH is more special.

Movement/Footwork: Kontaveit

Anett just moves better from the baseline and has the better footwork. Katka does a lot of reaching and bending during the rallies instead of actually getting herself in a proper positioning to hit the ball.

Power: About even.

Probably Katka has a slight edge here since she can hit her serve harder and her shots look more penetrating when she is aggressive. There is no big difference tho. Both can hit pretty hard. Would say Anett hits bigger rally balls on average tho.

Aggressiveness: Kontaveit

Anett is always pretty aggressive from what I've seen.

Defense: About even.

Volley/Touch/Net approach: Siniakova.

Katka is the more natural volleyer. More comfortable at the net and has lots of doubles experience.

Return: Kontaveit

More consistent and better at punishing weak serves.

Mental: Kontaveit

Katka can be rattled easily since she is quite emotional player on court. I think Anett has the edge here by default. Doesn't necessarily mean that she is a mental beast atm. :lol: She can improve mentally for sure.

Fighting spirit: Both are fierce competitors. :worship:

Peak level: Siniakova (not on all surfaces tho)

Well, I expect most to disagree here (since Anett showed better level in slams) but after her significant serve improvement, I feel Katka's game will be more dangerous when on from now on. Not to mention her game is less predictable. Think Anett will peak higher on the slower surfaces tho (especially on clay).

This is all my opinion of course and I might be a bit biased in some of these for obvious reason. I think both got bright future but probably Anett is the safer bet since she has the more solid technique overall which results in more solid baseline play.

Anywho, looking forward to their progress this season.

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,747 Posts
How is this even a contest? One is a supremely talented and big-haired athlete and the other, in the words of one her fans, all she has is beauty :shrug:

·
Registered
37,508 Posts
One has severe technical limitations, the other severe mental/choking limitations. Whoever fixes this will be greater. They both have the game, work ethic and attitude to succeed it’s just about who can fix these flaws. Siniakova also needs to learn how to bring her intensity to more than 2 or 3 tournaments a year. The reality is both will probably become great players and have quite comparable careers.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,089 Posts
Kontaveit has a lot in her and could have a long career. Siniakova has some unconventional technique(forehand) that's gonna cause her an elbow/wrist injury. I don't think she can have a long career. Not the mention the bad footwork, where she stretches for the ball. Puts even more stress on the arm and lower back as well.

Reactions: Perun

·
35,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How is this even a contest? One is a supremely talented and big-haired athlete and the other, in the words of one her fans, all she has is beauty :shrug:
Bish, you better believe Katka is more beautiful even with a straight hair. :nerd: Just saying.

·
35,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kontaveit has a lot in her and could have a long career. Siniakova has some unconventional technique(forehand) that's gonna cause her an elbow/wrist injury. I don't think she can have a long career. Not the mention the bad footwork, where she stretches for the ball. Puts even more stress on the arm and lower back as well.
I tried her FH grip and swing yesterday. Puts so much stress on my wrist when I swing the racket. :tears:
Unfortunately, have to agree with you on her being more likely to get injured.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I tried her FH grip and swing yesterday. Puts so much stress on my wrist when I swing the racket. :tears:
Unfortunately, have to agree with you on her being more likely to get injured.
Typical Siniakovas game is running and pushing, sometimes combined with unexpected attacking shots. Nothing to admire, really.

·
Registered
23,230 Posts
well. rumours have it one is an arch choker, so its the other one most likely. :shrug:

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Kontaveit is probably the safe bet and I see it more. But I liked to watch Siniakova game in Shenzhen so much that I'd be really sad if she doesn't start doing it more often. Besides she's so pretty and together with Ostapenko has one of the nicest and different hairs.

·
Registered
8,692 Posts
I hope Anett can fix her choking habit then definitely her. But its not easy. Once a choker, always a choker is the way it usually goes. Kontaveit has a game to take on every top player on grass and clay.

·
Registered
20,804 Posts
I haven't watched much of either. Saw Siniakova when she beat Sharapova and thought that was good, also took set off Svitolina with aggressive tennis.

Kontaveit has a very simple game which is nice when its clicking but I'm not sure she has many plan Bs. She had CSN on the ropes in Melbourne and failed to make use of her opportunities.

·
Registered
9,395 Posts
I like both! Probably find Siniakova's game slightly more entertaining to watch (and netplay is a bit better which usually swings a player in my favour)... but I kind of expect her to have a bunch of injuries throughout her career with the way she plays. Kontaveit will probably become more consistent and be around a lot longer.

·
Registered
16,197 Posts
They both have choking mentality not consistent enough to be at the top.of the game.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Kontaveit has so far been a lot more injury-prone than Siniakova, just saying.

They're two of the most unpredictable players in the top 100 week-to-week at the moment - they'll have weeks when you think they've really turned a corner, gone up a level, and they'll follow it with weeks of terrible R1 losses. Kontaveit going 2-8 after Gstaad last year was inexplicable after such a strong clay/grass season. Siniakova won two titles - two of the strongest International runs you can have, comparable to some Premiers - in 2017, but her MD w/l record outside of those was only 13-23, and she lost R1 at every Slam. There isn't really any rhyme or reason to any of this.

Having said that they both have so much room to improve and I think they'll both get a lot more consistent in time - but I also think that unreliability will always be there to an extent. I guess for Siniakova, it's about finding the balance in her game and knowing which of her many shots to play when, and for Kontaveit it's learning to not just be a BBB reliant on random "good days".

I'd be surprised not to see both in the top 10 at some point, but maybe will spend more time in the 11-20 range. And I think they'll have similar careers, comparable to a Safarova or Vinci.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts