Tennis Forum banner

4681 - 4700 of 4767 Posts

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
Absolutely but don't worry I'm sure Adey will come along to explain how Harold Wilson was once rude to a Doctor which is much more serious.
Well it's funny you say that but..................

:)

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Doesn't voter suppression equal having a Labour Leader/PM (Blair) party rigging a party election so that a candidate (Livingstone) can't be selected? And YOU accuse ME of turning a blind eye. Starmer's already purged Long-Bailey.
That isn't actually voter suppression no. Voter suppression is controlling the voting pool to discourage/make it harder for likely opponents of you to vote. Ideas like mandatory ID are part of this, in America you will see things like states constantly purging the electoral roll, forcing new voters to have to keep signing up to be eligible to vote. Gerrymandering is another strategy whereby you would fix constituency borders to give yourself the biggest chance of winning.

This is before my time, Blair was never an option at any election I was eligible to vote, but parties choosing who represents them goes on all the time. Indeed as already pointed out how is this any different to Boris' purge before the last election which I seem to remember people here being in favour of.

Starmer getting rid of Long-Bailey, this goes on with every leader of Conservatives and Labour, Boris has already gotten rid of several people for example, cabinet reshuffles, it's what happens, this is just straw clutching.

One difference is that I don't even support Labour like you do with Boris and the Conservatives, I didn't even vote Labour at the last election.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Again you don't seem to comprehend - at the moment there are two main parties - Tory and Labour. You take the view that the Tories are bad/not good - the past is what makes a party what it is now and everyone of us takes that into consideration when making decisions on who to vote for.

I voted for a government that will deliver Brexit - and that's what they're doing. I'm not overly concerned about the Intelligence Committee in the grand scale of things and it's not an issue that would change my mind on who to vote for - and judging by the recent opinion polls it's not causing a collapse in the Tory vote.
I completely understand its just, unlike you, my every opinion isn't decided by tribalism. I didn't particularly approve of what Blair did then but on balance I decided the good outweighed the bad and voted for him.

I didn't vote for Corbyn or Johnson because the negative far outweighed the positive for both.

If you had just been honest and said I don't really care about the Intelligence Committee and I don't think the voters do then I probably wouldn't have said anything as it's a perfectly legitimate, if concerning, opinion to have. I think frankly everyone should care about Russian interference in our democratic process no matter who it benefits.

But you didn't you just bitched on about something that happened 20 years ago that has not a single bit of relevance to the present day. None of the main players are at all involved in the Labour Party right now.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,538 Posts
What is happening right now is a horror show. On one hand The Conservative Party claim to support the NHS but they are united in voting to allow the NHS to be part of trade deals, and they deny food standards are at risk but then they vote to allow food standards to lowered to allow for trade deals, and then the Tories vote for all trade deals to be allowed to pass through without Parliament approval, something that doesn't happen in the US, where trade deals need Senate approval or in the EU where trade deals need EU Parliament approval. It isn't wrong to say the Tories are liars and hypocrites, because that is exactly what they are.

But I guess Tory supporters don't really care about food standards and the NHS, right?

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
I completely understand its just, unlike you, my every opinion isn't decided by tribalism. I didn't particularly approve of what Blair did then but on balance I decided the good outweighed the bad and voted for him.

I didn't vote for Corbyn or Johnson because the negative far outweighed the positive for both.

If you had just been honest and said I don't really care about the Intelligence Committee and I don't think the voters do then I probably wouldn't have said anything as it's a perfectly legitimate, if concerning, opinion to have. I think frankly everyone should care about Russian interference in our democratic process no matter who it benefits.

But you didn't you just bitched on about something that happened 20 years ago that has not a single bit of relevance to the present day. None of the main players are at all involved in the Labour Party right now.
Well you can't have been around much during the Referendum campaign - we had Blair on campaigning for the remain side. You also can't have been around much during the last election campaign either, when he was attacking Corbyn more than he was Boris.

You only need to read back in this thread and you'll see I'm probably the only one person in this thread who ever gives praise and states that I like certain MP's/Labour MP's who supported remain or have different views to me.

So with that in mind - let's hear something positive or non-negative from you about any MP or politician who was or is a Leave supporter.

·
Registered
40,700 Posts
What is happening right now is a horror show. On one hand The Conservative Party claim to support the NHS but they are united in voting to allow the NHS to be part of trade deals, and they deny food standards are at risk but then they vote to allow food standards to lowered to allow for trade deals, and then the Tories vote for all trade deals to be allowed to pass through without Parliament approval, something that doesn't happen in the US, where trade deals need Senate approval or in the EU where trade deals need EU Parliament approval. It isn't wrong to say the Tories are liars and hypocrites, because that is exactly what they are.

But I guess Tory supporters don't really care about food standards and the NHS, right?
This is just shocking, an MP I despise Maria Caulfield, is actually a nurse and went back to working during the pandemic, so I really don’t understand why she would vote for it, furthermore perhaps they are all just sheep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Well you can't have been around much during the Referendum campaign - we had Blair on campaigning for the remain side. You also can't have been around much during the last election campaign either, when he was attacking Corbyn more than he was Boris.

You only need to read back in this thread and you'll see I'm probably the only one person in this thread who ever gives praise and states that I like certain MP's/Labour MP's who supported remain or have different views to me.

So with that in mind - let's hear something positive or non-negative from you about any MP or politician who was or is a Leave supporter.
Sigh, I gave you a chance to make an honest point instead of more deflection and that's still all you can do.

I'll point out I asked you for a good argument in support of the government's actions over the Intelligence Committee and you haven't even tried but you are happy to demand something from me.

But it's actually easy, Julian Lewis a fervent Brexiter and member of the ERG but actually recognises the danger of foreign interference in our electoral process and the governments latest attempt to corrupt parliamentary democracy and stood against it.

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
Sigh, I gave you a chance to make an honest point instead of more deflection and that's still all you can do.

I'll point out I asked you for a good argument in support of the government's actions over the Intelligence Committee and you haven't even tried but you are happy to demand something from me.

But it's actually easy, Julian Lewis a fervent Brexiter and member of the ERG but actually recognises the danger of foreign interference in our electoral process and the governments latest attempt to corrupt parliamentary democracy and stood against it.
What part of "I'm not overly concerned about the Intelligence Committee in the grand scale of things and it's not an issue that would change my mind on who to vote for" was it that you didn't get?

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I mean do I really have to explain how that is just indifference or tribal loyalty and not an argument. You can't even bring yourself to say whether you think the governments actions are right or wrong.

It's amazing how someone can supposedly still be so worked up about an incident during a mayoral election 20 years ago that had no long term consequences but can't be arsed to have an opinion about this.

I noticed you ignored my positive comment about a Brexiter, I'm stunned.

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
I mean do I really have to explain how that is just indifference or tribal loyalty and not an argument. You can't even bring yourself to say whether you think the governments actions are right or wrong.

It's amazing how someone can supposedly still be so worked up about an incident during a mayoral election 20 years ago that had no long term consequences but can't be arsed to have an opinion about this.

I noticed you ignored my positive comment about a Brexiter, I'm stunned.
I've already said that Grayling is probably the worst government minister in history - check back in the thread.

I voted for this government - and were there an election tomorrow I would vote for them again - I doubt anyone could be 100% totally satisfied with any government so you weigh up what's important to you and how they've performed.

What do you expect me to say - finally it's a joy to actually see someone other than me make a positive comment about a person who doesn't agree with them on this side of the argument.

·
34,538 Posts
I've already said that Grayling is probably the worst government minister in history - check back in the thread.
Indeed you did. Which only makes it more baffling that you are okay with the man who prevented him from leading the Intelligence committee being kicked out of the Tory party.

·
Registered
7,785 Posts
Waiting for Tracey Ullman's impersonation of Boris Johnson. She did an amazing job on Theresa May and Angela Merkel - I'm certain she can take on ol' BoJo, too. ;)

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
Indeed you did. Which only makes it more baffling that you are okay with the man who prevented him from leading the Intelligence committee being kicked out of the Tory party.
I'm sure that, similarly to you, these things I will have in my mind and consider the alternatives just before I put my X on the ballot paper at the next election.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
40,700 Posts
I must admit this flu vaccine for 30 million is the best thing the government has done so far in this pandemic, I have friends who are nurses and they are petrified of flu because they know covid will be so bad, so if we can extinguish a lot of flu it might ease the burden.

·
34,538 Posts
I must admit this flu vaccine for 30 million is the best thing the government has done so far in this pandemic, I have friends who are nurses and they are petrified of flu because they know covid will be so bad, so if we can extinguish a lot of flu it might ease the burden.
There have been some secret memos going around that the Government is pretty worried about the possibility of a quadruple whammy next winter....Covid-19, The flu, Brexit and flooding. So it is good if at least they have taken some affirmative actions to prepare for at least one of these four things. Definitely better than nothing and definitely a positive step.

·
Registered
40,700 Posts
There have been some secret memos going around that the Government is pretty worried about the possibility of a quadruple whammy next winter....Covid-19, The flu, Brexit and flooding. So it is good if at least they have taken some affirmative actions to prepare for at least one of these four things. Definitely better than nothing and definitely a positive step.
I put brexit down to us just silently leaving with no deal.

Flooding yes it’s an issue because we love building on a flood plain, so there we go.

But yes boris is saying everyone may even get a flu jab.

4681 - 4700 of 4767 Posts