Tennis Forum banner

4661 - 4680 of 4767 Posts

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
It is a long time ago. Almost 20 years. I had to refresh my memory about how that election transpired. And reading Wikipedia it is pretty clear Blair did nothing wrong. It wasn't a decision made by the Leader but by a combination of MPs, MEPs, union members and Labour members. Then when Livingstone lost the vote he reneged on his promise not to run. This really is a completely different situation. If you want to justify Johnson's actions with this I can only shake my head in a combination of horror, amazement and sympathy.
If Maggie had done similar I'm sure it would have been engraved on your mind :)

Blair did nothing wrong if you mean against the law - but he did rig the voting to ensure that Ken didn't get chosen as the Labour candidate. And Ken did the right thing to renege on his promise after that - and the final result showed he was right to do so.

At the next mayoral election Blair was forced to accept him as the Labour candidate.

Again it's not a case of justifying actions - its pointing out what things were and could be like again under a Labour government.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
While Johnson did act illegally in trying to close Parliament last year and only stopped because he was forced to by the courts. A much more serious attack on democracy.

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
While Johnson did act illegally in trying to close Parliament last year and only stopped because he was forced to by the courts. A much more serious attack on democracy.
The people had their say on that - and what was their answer - oh yes a 80 seat majority to Boris.

Reactions: Silent Bird

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
I have no idea why anyone would want to vote to re-elect the incumbent government after this crisis. Of the 193 countries in the world, we are literally in the bottom 2 if you go by the excess death rate. It really is a shameful indictment on the government's handling of this crisis - but then again I guess this is what happens when you chronically underfund the health system for a decade.
Because most their voters don't care. They've been voting for more deaths for 10 years anyway.

Sad as it is but the economic damage which is mostly still to come will do more damage to the Tories than the deaths from this crisis.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
The people had their say on that - and what was their answer - oh yes a 80 seat majority to Boris.
What does that have to do with said actions being illegal. This is your go to answer for everything, but all you are showing here is people are willing to support criminality as long as they think it's on their side, which just gives a poor impression of those people.

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
What does that have to do with said actions being illegal. This is your go to answer for everything, but all you are showing here is people are willing to support criminality as long as they think it's on their side, which just gives a poor impression of those people.
I don't see what answer you want/expect to get - the topic raised about the peroguing (sp) of Parliament. It happened - those judges said it was illegal and parliament was re:eek:pened.

Shortly afterwards a general election was called - so every person of voting age in the country had their opportunity to vote for who they wanted to be PM at that election with those events in mind.

Reactions: Silent Bird

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
I don't see what answer you want/expect to get - the topic raised about the peroguing (sp) of Parliament. It happened - those judges said it was illegal and parliament was re:eek:pened.

Shortly afterwards a general election was called - so every person of voting age in the country had their opportunity to vote for who they wanted to be PM at that election with those events in mind.
One is a legal issue. One is a political issue.

It's laughable you're talking about the threat to democracy from the side of breaking the law, foreign interference, overspending and Cambridge Analytica. The next trick will be voter suppression, given they are carbon copying the Republicans in the US, and that is there go to strategy. No doubt you will turn a blind eye to that too.

·
Registered
30,704 Posts

Laughable. Ozza thinks that illegality equals criminality.

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
One is a legal issue. One is a political issue.

It's laughable you're talking about the threat to democracy from the side of breaking the law, foreign interference, overspending and Cambridge Analytica. The next trick will be voter suppression, given they are carbon copying the Republicans in the US, and that is there go to strategy. No doubt you will turn a blind eye to that too.
Doesn't voter suppression equal having a Labour Leader/PM (Blair) party rigging a party election so that a candidate (Livingstone) can't be selected? And YOU accuse ME of turning a blind eye. Starmer's already purged Long-Bailey.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,538 Posts
Doesn't voter suppression equal having a Labour Leader/PM (Blair) party rigging a party election so that a candidate (Livingstone) can't be selected? And YOU accuse ME of turning a blind eye. Starmer's already purged Long-Bailey.
Long-Bailey was not "purged" as it happened. She did not have the whip taken from her. She was removed from the shadow cabinet because of an antisemitic post she made. And why was Dr Julian Lewis purged? Oh that's right, because he stopped Johnson letting eternal stooge and incompetent Chris Grayling take charge of the Intelligence Committee.

And what about last year? Johnson got purged the Tory Parliament of its entire moderate wing, leaving only a party of extremists.

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
Long-Bailey was not "purged" as it happened. She did not have the whip taken from her. She was removed from the shadow cabinet because of an antisemitic post she made. And why was Dr Julian Lewis purged? Oh that's right, because he stopped Johnson letting eternal stooge and incompetent Chris Grayling take charge of the Intelligence Committee.

And what about last year? Johnson got purged the Tory Parliament of its entire moderate wing, leaving only a party of extremists.
So the kinda Labour party you support is one that says - yes the people of London can now have a mayor and they can choose whoever they like to be that mayor.

But now I'm going to rig the Labour selection and voting process so that Londoners can't choose Ken Livingstone.

And if that's not bad enough they then criticise and attack him for standing as an Independent candidate after the rigged result is announced..

You wouldn't believe it if you read it in a book - the Carry On films couldn't have done a better job.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
So the kinda Labour party you support is one that says - yes the people of London can now have a mayor and they can choose whoever they like to be that mayor.

But now I'm going to rig the Labour selection and voting process so that Londoners can't choose Ken Livingstone.

And if that's not bad enough they then criticise and attack him for standing as an Independent candidate after the rigged result is announced..

You wouldn't believe it if you read it in a book - the Carry On films couldn't have done a better job.
But hey Blair won an election after that with a huge majority so in your world that absolves him of all wrong doing like you claimed it did for Johnson.

Or could it be you're just a complete hypocrite who will say anything to defend the Tories.

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
But hey Blair won an election after that with a huge majority so in your world that absolves him of all wrong doing like you claimed it did for Johnson.

Or could it be you're just a complete hypocrite who will say anything to defend the Tories.
The hypocracy comes from those who complain about things like Russia being involved in the Referendum campaign - when the Blair/Livingstone case is a far worse mis-use of power/influence - but of course it's only Tories who ever commit wrongs in some peoples minds.

·
Registered
40,700 Posts
To be fair today they did vote to not protect the NHS from foreign interference, that’s a worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
The hypocracy comes from those who complain about things like Russia being involved in the Referendum campaign - when the Blair/Livingstone case is a far worse mis-use of power/influence - but of course it's only Tories who ever commit wrongs in some peoples minds.
Yes because that's at all relevant right now.

We had all those discussions 20 years ago, whether Tony Blair was right or wrong 20 years ago makes not the slightest difference to Russian interference in our democracy right now. And the government refusing to investigate foreign interference in our electoral system is much more serious than Blair overstepping his authority in internal Labour Party processes.

The only reason it was even mentioned in this thread is you're incapable of making a coherent argument in defence of the government's actions over the Intelligence Committee so your only recourse is to distract and confuse the issue.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
To be fair today they did vote to not protect the NHS from foreign interference, that’s a worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely but don't worry I'm sure Adey will come along to explain how Harold Wilson was once rude to a Doctor which is much more serious.

·
Administrator
67,614 Posts
The only reason it was even mentioned in this thread is you're incapable of making a coherent argument in defence of the government's actions over the Intelligence Committee so your only recourse is to distract and confuse the issue.
Again you don't seem to comprehend - at the moment there are two main parties - Tory and Labour. You take the view that the Tories are bad/not good - the past is what makes a party what it is now and everyone of us takes that into consideration when making decisions on who to vote for.

I voted for a government that will deliver Brexit - and that's what they're doing. I'm not overly concerned about the Intelligence Committee in the grand scale of things and it's not an issue that would change my mind on who to vote for - and judging by the recent opinion polls it's not causing a collapse in the Tory vote.

4661 - 4680 of 4767 Posts