Tennis Forum banner

4501 - 4520 of 4580 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,180 Posts
Meanwhile gutless Boris Johnson can't bring himself to sack his mate Robert Jenrick. This is what the public think of that:

·
34,180 Posts
Diane Abbott changed her tune quickly...

Kate green new shadow education minister.
Yep. I think Keir Starmer has ridden his 1st crisis as Labour leader and come out of it a lot stronger and with more credibility. The case for why Starmer had to let go of Long-Bailey is strong and there have been some fine articles supporting the decision. As for the Labour's left wing, they know now who is in charge and they know they will have to behave themselves.

Great article here. Should be read by one and all.

The sacking of Long-Bailey shows that, at last, Labour is serious about antisemitism. Keir Starmer promised zero tolerance. His swift and decisive action over her misguided tweet shows he means it - Jonathan Freedland

·
Administrator
66,742 Posts
As for the Labour's left wing, they know now who is in charge and they know they will have to behave themselves.
If there's one thing the left wing of the Labour party is known for - it's behaving themselves :)

·
Administrator
66,742 Posts

Reactions: Silent Bird

·
34,180 Posts

Are you standing up for Trickett and anti-Semitism? Hmmm.....

Contrast with the Conservatives is that the far-Right of the Tory party have nothing to complain about because Johnson is letting them get away with everything they want and he is doing what they want him to.

·
Administrator
66,742 Posts
Are you standing up for Trickett and anti-Semitism? Hmmm.....
No of course not - as I've said before I 100% support what he's done with regard to Anti-Semitism

But I'm just alerting to the new civil-war and in-fighting within the Labour party that's started.

·
34,180 Posts
No of course not - as I've said before I 100% support what he's done with regard to Anti-Semitism

But I'm just alerting to the new civil-war and in-fighting within the Labour party that's started.
....in your dreams.

So basically what you are saying is that Starmer has done exactly the right thing, and acted in a courageous, principled way and you hope very hard that it works out badly for him...I get it.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts

I'm not yet convinced this is anything more than a storm in a teacup. I'm interested in politics yet despite all the adulation I still don't feel I really know Rebecca Long Bailey. She didn't make much of an impact in the job she got fired from either - and I mean scoring points off Gavin Williamson is hardly the most challenging job in politics.......
And if people didn't even notice she was there they will hardly care if she is gone.

But if the attacks from the left are noticed is this necessarily bad for Starmer?
Attacks from the left reassured hundreds of thousands of Tory voters Tony Blair was the man for them. Anytime somebody takes a break from abolishing the police to criticise Joe Biden for being too moderate he probably has a celebratory dance round his basement. Or celebratory shuffle anyway.
Even the Welsh Windbag back in the day got a bit of respect when he took on Derek Hatton and the nutters from Miltant. Not enough to get elected obviously - there are limits.:p

So not only has Starmer done the correct thing, he might also have done the right thing politically too, which is obviously not always the same.

·
Administrator
66,742 Posts
....in your dreams.

So basically what you are saying is that Starmer has done exactly the right thing, and acted in a courageous, principled way and you hope very hard that it works out badly for him...I get it.
I'm saying he's done the right thing - and in doing the right thing he's caused problems for himself in the future - Long-Bailey will be stalking in the shadows waiting for her moment to strike much like Heseltine did in Maggie's time.

·
Registered
30,525 Posts
I'm saying he's done the right thing - and in doing the right thing he's caused problems for himself in the future - Long-Bailey will be stalking in the shadows waiting for her moment to strike much like Heseltine did in Maggie's time.
We'll see. The way things are going, there will be zero substantial differences between the Labour and Tory party at the next election (in terms of actual politics, discarding the rhetorical tactics and optics).

·
34,180 Posts
We'll see. The way things are going, there will be zero substantial differences between the Labour and Tory party at the next election (in terms of actual politics, discarding the rhetorical tactics and optics).
Your ability to distinguish between the difference in various pieces of music is very good. Unfortunate that ability doesn't extend to politics.

Perhaps if you lived in this country you would recognise that differences that might not matter one iota to you in another country actually effect the inhabitants of this country very substantially.

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
I actually keep seeing quite a bit on this on Twitter from actors in despair. The damage from the pandemic is going to be so far reaching. Here you have a £1bn industry under threat of collapse. The thing is people's general perception too of actors is that they are rich, but that perception is from film stars, in reality unless you're one of the top performers you won't be that rich from performing in the theatre, and your earnings are of course zero right now with no protection from the government and no sign when you can earn again. Even worse that a lot of theatre actors are young aspiring actors who probably have not a lot to fall back on.

See a feed like this for what is or rather isn't happening: https://twitter.com/aaronsidwell

It's quite disheartening really.

·
34,180 Posts
I actually keep seeing quite a bit on this on Twitter from actors in despair. The damage from the pandemic is going to be so far reaching. Here you have a £1bn industry under threat of collapse. The thing is people's general perception too of actors is that they are rich, but that perception is from film stars, in reality unless you're one of the top performers you won't be that rich from performing in the theatre, and your earnings are of course zero right now with no protection from the government and no sign when you can earn again. Even worse that a lot of theatre actors are young aspiring actors who probably have not a lot to fall back on.

See a feed like this for what is or rather isn't happening: https://twitter.com/aaronsidwell

It's quite disheartening really.
Yes, it is very disheartening indeed.

And it isn't just actors who are affected. There is the cost of keeping theatres and other venues open, plus the loss of income by other involved in the arts, like musicians, directors, writers, comedians, stagehands, theatre staff etc. It is a very worrying situation and if the rest of us hope to return to a world where we are once again able to be entertained by a night at the theatre or a gig or some stand up comedy it isn't going to happen unless this government takes affirmative action and that will mean funding.

·
Registered
30,525 Posts
Your ability to distinguish between the difference in various pieces of music is very good. Unfortunate that ability doesn't extend to politics.

Perhaps if you lived in this country you would recognise that differences that might not matter one iota to you in another country actually effect the inhabitants of this country very substantially.
I'm sure the record breaking budget figures produced by Rishi Sunak must have been hard for you.

·
34,180 Posts
I'm sure the record breaking budget figures produced by Rishi Sunak must have been hard for you.
I'm sure you must be thinking to yourself what a clever post you are making but I am looking at it and I am at a loss even trying to comprehend what sort of point you are trying to make here.

4501 - 4520 of 4580 Posts