Tennis Forum banner

4201 - 4220 of 4574 Posts

·
Registered
40,365 Posts
Actually that's an interesting point - it would be funny if it's always been his personal plan to leave office the day after Brexit finalised.
I don’t know why but it comes across like that, I think he prefers to be in the public eye as more like a celebrity. I mean he will be set for life after this. And perhaps he just wants to finalize brexit and be remembered for completing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
66,738 Posts
I don’t know why but it comes across like that, I think he prefers to be in the public eye as more like a celebrity. I mean he will be set for life after this. And perhaps he just wants to finalize brexit and be remembered for completing it.

It's an odd situation to lose some of your political capital over - I wouldn't if it was me.

·
Registered
40,365 Posts
It's an odd situation to lose some of your political capital over - I wouldn't if it was me.
I’m not sure boris has always been a politician though, I mean it’s his day job but he does have that celebrity status almost. It’s fascinating, we shall see what happens.

·
Administrator
66,738 Posts
Of course Labour MP's are angels personified - look at the former Labour Deputy Prime Minister (video not tweets) :-

Reactions: Silent Bird

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
I don't think money really comes into it. Boris is silver spoon, he was born set for life. On top of that he can get any number of cushty gigs, which if we're honest are much easier than being PM as it's much easier to spout lies in a Telegraph column read by the converted than as PM where people will question what you're saying.

The Brexit theory doesn't really wash with me either. As if Brexit is a disaster he will be seen as the PM that led the country into oblivion, remembered in the same breath as Chamberlain and Eden.

He's a populist, he thrives on adulation.

·
Registered
40,365 Posts
Yes but as a remainer I think no deal Brexit will be disastrous but what if it isn’t it could be successful we just don’t know. Then Boris takes plaudits for it and off he goes, furthermore he’s got further than Mrs May did.

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Yes but as a remainer I think no deal Brexit will be disastrous but what if it isn’t it could be successful we just don’t know. Then Boris takes plaudits for it and off he goes, furthermore he’s got further than Mrs May did.
The problem is success is going to be measured in economic terms. Even for those believing it will be a success on those terms, you now have a backdrop of a huge global recession on the back of the coronavirus pandemic, so the economy will be in tatters regardless. So it's hard to envisage this fantasy scenario that you ride off into the sunset a hero. Indeed has anyone in history ever come out with credit when they oversaw a recession?

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,176 Posts
The problem is success is going to be measured in economic terms. Even for those believing it will be a success on those terms, you now have a backdrop of a huge global recession on the back of the coronavirus pandemic, so the economy will be in tatters regardless. So it's hard to envisage this fantasy scenario that you ride off into the sunset a hero. Indeed has anyone in history ever come out with credit when they oversaw a recession?
Agree. But the one thing that does concern me. If we leave at the end of the year with no deal we all know the consequences will be pretty catastrophic. Thing is, given the timing, this government might very well attempt to blame the mess on the pandemic. Of course it would be a disgrace if they get away with that but I wouldn't be surprised to see them try. Probably the biggest secret to the Tories success over the last decade is to always find someone else to blame whenever anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
Agree. But the one thing that does concern me. If we leave at the end of the year with no deal we all know the consequences will be pretty catastrophic. Thing is, given the timing, this government might very well attempt to blame the mess on the pandemic. Of course it would be a disgrace if they get away with that but I wouldn't be surprised to see them try. Probably the biggest secret to the Tories success over the last decade is to always find someone else to blame whenever anything goes wrong.
That is the worldwide conservative/right wing playbook. ;)

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Boris Johnson wanted to be PM and wants to be remembered as being PM it's just the actual job of being PM he doesn't care for.

It's status/prestige he's after. We've seen already he doesn't actually like turning up and doing the job.

·
Administrator
66,738 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
They can try. You'd think it will struggle if our economy crashes at a bigger rate than the likes of France and Germany.

I would say also that it doesn't tend to matter in the bigger scheme of things. The economy collapsing tends to lead to public opinion turning against the incumbent no matter what the reasons were. We will get plenty of previews of this over the next few years starting with Trump at the end of the year. I personally think Trump would have beaten Biden, who is an awful candidate imo if it wasn't for the coronavirus, but I suspect Trump's handling of the coronavirus and subsequent collapse in the economy will now bury Trump.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,176 Posts
They can try. You'd think it will struggle if our economy crashes at a bigger rate than the likes of France and Germany.

I would say also that it doesn't tend to matter in the bigger scheme of things. The economy collapsing tends to lead to public opinion turning against the incumbent no matter what the reasons were. We will get plenty of previews of this over the next few years starting with Trump at the end of the year. I personally think Trump would have beaten Biden, who is an awful candidate imo if it wasn't for the coronavirus, but I suspect Trump's handling of the coronavirus and subsequent collapse in the economy will now bury Trump.
I agree with everything you say here, yep. That is why I am pretty optimistic that this is the last term of Conservative government this country is going to see in a long, long time. :)

And yeah, it is very disappointing the Democrats didn't find a better candidate than Biden to oppose Trump but I agree given the circumstances Biden should, fingers crossed, still win.

·
Administrator
66,738 Posts
Trump has six months.

Boris has got over 4 years ahead of him where a lot can happen.

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
Trump has six months.

That could prove a negative rather than a positive. We haven't really felt the economic impact yet at all, that's still to come. For example look at the financial crisis of the early 1990s, indeed in that example John Major managed to win an election in the early stages of the recession, but after the crash in September 1992 more and more people turned on the government and they were behind pretty much every opinion poll for the next 4 years.

·
Administrator
66,738 Posts
That could prove a negative rather than a positive. We haven't really felt the economic impact yet at all, that's still to come. For example look at the financial crisis of the early 1990s, indeed in that example John Major managed to win an election in the early stages of the recession, but after the crash in September 1992 more and more people turned on the government and they were behind pretty much every opinion poll for the next 4 years.
Yes that's true but Major was leading a party still fighting among themselves over the knifing of Maggie/it's future with Europe - and they then had Blair as opposition leader after John Smith died.

The Tories are now united - and Starmer trails Boris massively in the charisma stakes - which is gold-dust amongst any politician. It was obvious Major would lose to Blair - at present I don't see that happening, but of course as I say in 4 years anything can happen.

If this was 81 there'd be the feeling that Maggie would be heavily defeated at the next election - and no-one could foresee that a war which she then won would follow.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Trump has six months.

Trump actually has 5 months but I would agree with what Ozza said this might not be a negative. As the US opens up I imagine there is likely to be a recovery, from absolutely fucked to slightly less fucked.Of course things will still be fucked, but there is maybe an outside chance nobody actually realises how badly until next January or so. Which would be good news for Donald. Of course this supposes coronavirus cases in the States outside NY and NJ start falling sometime before November......

But five months or four years I think BoJo is on tricky ground - because once confidence is lost it is next to impossible to get it back whatever the time frame. Obviously having managed to lose Scotland (I believe it's up North somewhere) the Labour party will have to do well in the shires to win.Luckily they now have leader everyone living there doesn't want to burn at the stake. Which I think has to be definite progress.(y)

4201 - 4220 of 4574 Posts