Tennis Forum banner

4201 - 4211 of 4211 Posts

·
Registered
40,308 Posts
Actually that's an interesting point - it would be funny if it's always been his personal plan to leave office the day after Brexit finalised.
I don’t know why but it comes across like that, I think he prefers to be in the public eye as more like a celebrity. I mean he will be set for life after this. And perhaps he just wants to finalize brexit and be remembered for completing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
65,975 Posts
I don’t know why but it comes across like that, I think he prefers to be in the public eye as more like a celebrity. I mean he will be set for life after this. And perhaps he just wants to finalize brexit and be remembered for completing it.

It's an odd situation to lose some of your political capital over - I wouldn't if it was me.

·
Registered
40,308 Posts
It's an odd situation to lose some of your political capital over - I wouldn't if it was me.
I’m not sure boris has always been a politician though, I mean it’s his day job but he does have that celebrity status almost. It’s fascinating, we shall see what happens.

·
Administrator
65,975 Posts
Of course Labour MP's are angels personified - look at the former Labour Deputy Prime Minister (video not tweets) :-

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
I don't think money really comes into it. Boris is silver spoon, he was born set for life. On top of that he can get any number of cushty gigs, which if we're honest are much easier than being PM as it's much easier to spout lies in a Telegraph column read by the converted than as PM where people will question what you're saying.

The Brexit theory doesn't really wash with me either. As if Brexit is a disaster he will be seen as the PM that led the country into oblivion, remembered in the same breath as Chamberlain and Eden.

He's a populist, he thrives on adulation.

·
Registered
40,308 Posts
Yes but as a remainer I think no deal Brexit will be disastrous but what if it isn’t it could be successful we just don’t know. Then Boris takes plaudits for it and off he goes, furthermore he’s got further than Mrs May did.

·
Premium Member
8,671 Posts
Yes but as a remainer I think no deal Brexit will be disastrous but what if it isn’t it could be successful we just don’t know. Then Boris takes plaudits for it and off he goes, furthermore he’s got further than Mrs May did.
The problem is success is going to be measured in economic terms. Even for those believing it will be a success on those terms, you now have a backdrop of a huge global recession on the back of the coronavirus pandemic, so the economy will be in tatters regardless. So it's hard to envisage this fantasy scenario that you ride off into the sunset a hero. Indeed has anyone in history ever come out with credit when they oversaw a recession?

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,817 Posts
The problem is success is going to be measured in economic terms. Even for those believing it will be a success on those terms, you now have a backdrop of a huge global recession on the back of the coronavirus pandemic, so the economy will be in tatters regardless. So it's hard to envisage this fantasy scenario that you ride off into the sunset a hero. Indeed has anyone in history ever come out with credit when they oversaw a recession?
Agree. But the one thing that does concern me. If we leave at the end of the year with no deal we all know the consequences will be pretty catastrophic. Thing is, given the timing, this government might very well attempt to blame the mess on the pandemic. Of course it would be a disgrace if they get away with that but I wouldn't be surprised to see them try. Probably the biggest secret to the Tories success over the last decade is to always find someone else to blame whenever anything goes wrong.

·
Registered
7,722 Posts
Agree. But the one thing that does concern me. If we leave at the end of the year with no deal we all know the consequences will be pretty catastrophic. Thing is, given the timing, this government might very well attempt to blame the mess on the pandemic. Of course it would be a disgrace if they get away with that but I wouldn't be surprised to see them try. Probably the biggest secret to the Tories success over the last decade is to always find someone else to blame whenever anything goes wrong.
That is the worldwide conservative/right wing playbook. ;)

4201 - 4211 of 4211 Posts