Tennis Forum banner

3921 - 3940 of 4607 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,229 Posts
UK net immigration has hit the highest number since 1975 last year. EU immigrants have been largely replaced by students from India & China.

Was that Nigel Farage & Boris Johnson's plan all along? :p

I think the plan is to replace poorer EU immigrants with rich tax evaders from Russia and Saudi Arabia, yeah. How it that transpires we will see....

But yeah, the whole idea seems to be to turn the UK into a giant tax haven for the super rich, a Singapore in Europe so to speak.

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
I do. It is a big relief. I absolutely applaud it. Although quite frankly it should never have been policy to begin with.
The gentleman was for turning :)

Reactions: ricard89

·
34,229 Posts
The gentleman was for turning :)
Thank goodness. That is one of the few positive aspects of Johnson. His need to be liked means that sometimes, thankfully, he does back down when he is met with universal disapproval. Frankly I wish though that he would back down a lot more. Credit must also go in a very big way to Keir Starmer for putting Johnson under such pressure in during PM question time. That is what we need in an opposition leader right now. Corbyn could never!!!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I think the plan is to replace poorer EU immigrants with rich tax evaders from Russia and Saudi Arabia, yeah. How it that transpires we will see....

But yeah, the whole idea seems to be to turn the UK into a giant tax haven for the super rich, a Singapore in Europe so to speak.

These dreams always seemed fairly ludicrous - probably didn't need a global pandemic to highlight this - which it has. Approve of their approach or not Singapore's success has been based on decades of hard work, focus and ruthless competence - supplemented of course by an underpaid immigrant workforce. While the UK government would be totally relaxed with the underpaid immigrant workforce, I'm sensing the hard work and ruthless competence......well seriously............

Given the thread title I should also maybe point out that Singapore is of course a founder member of ASEAN which in the last ten years created a single market to ensure free flow of goods, services, skilled labour, and capital. So one country has just entered a single market and the other is leaving the biggest single market in the world - and appears to be in no apparent rush to get any access to it. So actually these would be fundamentally different approaches to financial success. Any bets on which one will work? :p

·
Registered
40,378 Posts
Thank goodness. That is one of the few positive aspects of Johnson. His need to be liked means that sometimes, thankfully, he does back down when he is met with universal disapproval. Frankly I wish though that he would back down a lot more. Credit must also go in a very big way to Keir Starmer for putting Johnson under such pressure in during PM question time. That is what we need in an opposition leader right now. Corbyn could never!!!
Some of his own party turned on him as well apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
UK net immigration has hit the highest number since 1975 last year. EU immigrants have been largely replaced by students from India & China.

Was that Nigel Farage & Boris Johnson's plan all along? :p

I don't think Boris gives a stuff about immigration. He is a classic Conservative free marketeer - as long as there is someone there to pick his strawberries and peel his grapes I don't think he worries too much where that person comes from. Personally I doubt Nigel is worried it about either but that depends if you think he believes the stuff he comes out with or is simply a con artist.I would lean towards the second option but who knows.
I certainly think some people who voted for Brexit to get immigration down are going to be disappointed over the next few years.

·
34,229 Posts
I don't think Boris gives a stuff about immigration. He is a classic Conservative free marketeer - as long as there is someone there to pick his strawberries and peel his grapes I don't think he worries too much where that person comes from. Personally I doubt Nigel is worried it about either but that depends if you think he believes the stuff he comes out with or is simply a con artist.I would lean towards the second option but who knows.
I certainly think some people who voted for Brexit to get immigration down are going to be disappointed over the next few years.
I agree with you. Johnson doesn't care one way or the other, that is my impression too. Farage? I think he really is a pretty nasty piece of work, and he is certainly happy to spread hatred and intolerance as a means of getting attention but beyond that who knows. My impression is he'll say anything if he thinks it will win him support. That said, descriptions of him as a child suggest a pretty unpleasant youngster, to put it mildly, even then.

Of course right now....there is nobody to pick the strawberries so there is a bit of a problem. I think we are going to experience substantial fruit and vegetable shortages in the coming years. But I guess for those who are rich enough to afford inflated prices for fruit and vegetables they will be fine....

As for you last point, I couldn't possibly agree with you more than I do. To say I 100% agree doesn't even feel it does that comment justice. :D

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
But not everyone who voted Brexit did so to get immigration down.

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
But is an immigrant from an EU country with £50 in the bank more or less worthy than an immigrant from a non-EU country with £50 in the bank?

·
34,229 Posts
But is an immigrant from an EU country with £50 in the bank more or less worthy than an immigrant from a non-EU country with £50 in the bank?
They are worth the same, of course. However, providing freedom of movement within the UK to the EU immigrant gave us in the UK freedom of movement throughout Europe and access to free trade within Europe.

·
34,229 Posts
Pressure on Dominic Cummings to quit over lockdown breach - The Guardian

This is extremely damning. When Scotland’s chief medical officer, Catherine Calderwood, was was photographed visiting her second home in Fife while in lockdown she was forced to resign from her position. When Prof Neil Ferguson, the epidemiologist whose modelling prompted the lockdown, was found to have flouting physical distancing rules by having liasons with his girlfriend during lockdown he was forced to quit as a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage). Ferguson's actions were met by strong disapproval by leading Conservatives who all supported his decision to resign. Matt Hancock said he was “speechless” adding “I think he took the right decision to resign.” Former Tory leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith said Ferguson’s behaviour “risks undermining the government’s lockdown message”.

Needless to say leaders of the SNP and Liberal Democrats are already insisting he stand down.
A Labour Party spokesman said: “If accurate, the Prime Minister’s chief adviser appears to have breached the lockdown rules. The Government’s guidance was very clear: stay at home and no non-essential travel. "The British people do not expect there to be one rule for them and another rule for Dominic Cummings. Number 10 needs to provide a very swift explanation for his actions.”

Bottom line is this: Either Cummings goes or Boris Johnson ends up looking like a coward and a hypocrite. This is one very damaging story for The Conservative Government and while it certainly isn't going to prevent them from remaining in government, it is bound to chip away at their credibility as the carry on to the future.

One more hard hitting article that hits it right on the money:
Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings will be seen as part of an elite for whom the rules do not apply - Sky News

·
Registered
40,378 Posts
I really hope he goes, he’s such a vile human and this is really damming, but after Patel survived nothing will shock me, but if some conservatives say he needs to go then Boris is at risk of loosing control of the party.

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
Pressure on Dominic Cummings to quit over lockdown breach - The Guardian

This is extremely damning. When Scotland’s chief medical officer, Catherine Calderwood, was was photographed visiting her second home in Fife while in lockdown she was forced to resign from her position. When Prof Neil Ferguson, the epidemiologist whose modelling prompted the lockdown, was found to have flouting physical distancing rules by having liasons with his girlfriend during lockdown he was forced to quit as a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage). Ferguson's actions were met by strong disapproval by leading Conservatives who all supported his decision to resign. Matt Hancock said he was “speechless” adding “I think he took the right decision to resign.” Former Tory leader Sir Iain Duncan Smith said Ferguson’s behaviour “risks undermining the government’s lockdown message”.

Needless to say leaders of the SNP and Liberal Democrats are already insisting he stand down.
A Labour Party spokesman said: “If accurate, the Prime Minister’s chief adviser appears to have breached the lockdown rules. The Government’s guidance was very clear: stay at home and no non-essential travel. "The British people do not expect there to be one rule for them and another rule for Dominic Cummings. Number 10 needs to provide a very swift explanation for his actions.”

Bottom line is this: Either Cummings goes or Boris Johnson ends up looking like a coward and a hypocrite. This is one very damaging story for The Conservative Government and while it certainly isn't going to prevent them from remaining in government, it is bound to chip away at their credibility as the carry on to the future.

One more hard hitting article that hits it right on the money:
Coronavirus: Dominic Cummings will be seen as part of an elite for whom the rules do not apply - Sky News

I take it that you agree that Stephen Kinnock also made the Labour Opposition look equally cowardly/hypocritical when he did similar.

·
Registered
40,378 Posts
I take it that you agree that Stephen Kinnock also made the Labour Opposition look equally cowardly/hypocritical when he did similar.
Adey, I am not saying that it’s correct for anyone to do that, but surely you agree this is wrong, he travelled to freaking Durham from London when most of us couldn’t even leave our own towns, the amount of vulnerable people he could’ve infected yet alone his own parents, this man thinks he’s above the law, so therefore he should be sacked. I believe any politician flouting the laws should be sacked because why should some of us abide by it whilst the rest continue on.

I went to a pond yesterday and found a group of 30 youths having a party, it literally makes me despair that they could do that when I cannot even visit my parents because of this coronavirus. (I know rules have changed now, but I’m keeping my distance still).

If boris keeps this man he’ll loose a lot of respect from people like me who has stuck to the rules...

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
Adey, I am not saying that it’s correct for anyone to do that, but surely you agree this is wrong, he travelled to freaking Durham from London when most of us couldn’t even leave our own towns, the amount of vulnerable people he could’ve infected yet alone his own parents, this man thinks he’s above the law, so therefore he should be sacked. I believe any politician flouting the laws should be sacked because why should some of us abide by it whilst the rest continue on.

I went to a pond yesterday and found a group of 30 youths having a party, it literally makes me despair that they could do that when I cannot even visit my parents because of this coronavirus. (I know rules have changed now, but I’m keeping my distance still).

If boris keeps this man he’ll loose a lot of respect from people like me who has stuck to the rules...

Of course I totally agree - and in the spirit of fairness and equality it's only right for it to be pointed out that there was a Labour MP who did exactly the same thing.

·
Registered
40,378 Posts
Of course I totally agree - and in the spirit of fairness and equality it's only right for it to be pointed out that there was a Labour MP who did exactly the same thing.
True enough and for that reason that labour MP should also resign.

·
34,229 Posts
No. Just no.
Here are the obvious differences.
1) Dominic Cummings was knowingly carrying the covid-19 virus on his travels. Stephen Kinnock was healthy.
2) Dominic Cummings stayed for over a week at his parent's house with his wife, who was also suffering from the virus and child. Stephen Kinnock visited his father on his father's birthday bringing him some food and a cake. He did not enter the house and kept social distance from his father at all times during what was a brief (less than 30 minutes) visit. The visit was filmed and those facts have been established.
3) Dominic Cummings is the Prime Minister's senior adviser. He is regarded as being one of the most important individuals determining Government policy. Some would say 2nd only to Johnson himself. Indeed some would even go so far as to say he is basically the guy pulling the strings and Johnson is his puppet. Stephen Kinnock on the other hand is a back bench MP with no influence. He is not a member of the Shadow Cabinet.

These two incidents are exactly the same thing as much as a great white shark is exactly the same thing as a sardine.

And for the record, Stephen Kinnock is one of my least favourite Labour MPs, I consider his actions to be poorly judged, and I would have no issue with him being reprimanded or punished in some way although it is clear the extent of his transgression is very very slight compared with that of Cummings and the difference between the influence of the two individuals is vast.

3921 - 3940 of 4607 Posts