Tennis Forum banner

3881 - 3900 of 4607 Posts

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
I don't really agree with the posts of there's nobody to replace Boris on the horizon, I think there is at least a couple of people moving to position themselves if it goes belly up. Both Gove and Hunt to me in recent months have been making moves that is basically if perception moves to Boris has totally failed on the coronavirus that they are the "safe pair of hands" to replace him.
There's always someone who will take over but it's usually not someone you'd ever expect eg Major after Thatcher or May after Cameron, but if you're the one doing the knifing of the PM you generally don't get to become leader in the following leadership election yourself.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,229 Posts
The next GE will most likely be more than 4 years away. But I have some advice for Tory voters when that election does come..... Stay home, save lives, protect the NHS. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
There's always someone who will take over but it's usually not someone you'd ever expect eg Major after Thatcher or May after Cameron, but if you're the one doing the knifing of the PM you generally don't get to become leader in the following leadership election yourself.
Boris was one of the main architects of the manoeuvring against Theresa May.

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
Boris was one of the main architects of the manoeuvring against Theresa May.
Yes, but the British people wanted Brexit and she wasn't delivering. On a normal knifing of a PM the people are bystanders.

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
This really is revisionist history Adey.
I don't think so - as far as the issue of Brexit goes there was years of delay. As soon as Boris became leader and then got and then won the election with a huge majority and he got Brexit done.

I know you'll argue over the deal/no deal/complexities side of things and whether it's getting it done - but the likelihood is that at the end of the year the issue will then have finally been put to bed - if May had remained as PM it's unlikely she'd have won a large majority in December and there'd still be constant debate about it...I know the virus would have taken over as the No 1 priority but you get what I mean.

·
34,229 Posts
I don't think so - as far as the issue of Brexit goes there was years of delay. As soon as Boris became leader and then got and then won the election with a huge majority and he got Brexit done.

I know you'll argue over the deal/no deal/complexities side of things and whether it's getting it done - but the likelihood is that at the end of the year the issue will then have finally been put to bed - if May had remained as PM it's unlikely she'd have won a large majority in December and there'd still be constant debate about it...I know the virus would have taken over as the No 1 priority but you get what I mean.
It leaves me astonished that such a small piece of text could have so much there I disagree with. But to pick through it with a fine comb would take more time than it was worth and it wouldn't make a difference to you anyway. You probably wouldn't even read what I wrote, so it would be entirely pointless and indulgent for me to endeavour it. Next year, I look forward to you telling me all the positive differences leaving the EU with no deal has made to your life.

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
It leaves me astonished that such a small piece of text could have so much there I disagree with. But to pick through it with a fine comb would take more time than it was worth and it wouldn't make a difference to you anyway. You probably wouldn't even read what I wrote, so it would be entirely pointless and indulgent for me to endeavour it. Next year, I look forward to you telling me all the positive differences leaving the EU with no deal has made to your life.
I will do so.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Premium Member
8,706 Posts
On that where special advisors clearly means Cummings it will be interesting to see if and when that all goes belly up. A lot of people have been happy to go along with Cummings so far as he's been doing what they want on Brexit, but he's not a Conservative, he's even made anti-Conservative comments in the past, he has attacked a number of prominent Brexiteers and several are meant to dislike him. His style is anarchist too, ie. my way or the highway, it will be interesting going forward what problems arise. We've already seen Javid ousted by him, and there almost certainly are clashes with others in cabinet. One of the accusations there from Peter Bone is actually the same accusation Philip Hammond was making before the election that Cummings wants to turn the Conservative party into the US Republican party.

On another note I've sensed all along Farage is waiting for some fallout to blame Cummings for as he is meant to despise him.

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
Nadine Dorres trying to smear Starmer already...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course, you'd never get a Labour MP trying to smear Boris would you :)

Reactions: Silent Bird

·
Registered
40,378 Posts
Of course, you'd never get a Labour MP trying to smear Boris would you :)
No, and I didn’t say you wouldn’t, it was just the way it was so basic and the fact her own party had to tell her not to do it. I don’t mind smearing if it’s factually correct, the woman is incompetent, in other jobs she would’ve lost her job, but in government it’s a slap on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
34,229 Posts

Given the incredible hash job this government is doing right now relating to the coronavirus, given that unlike most of Europe the virus is still very much out of control in the UK, and given the sheer incompetence of those who are leading this country it is hard to see the approval for the Government's handling of the coronavirus do anything but continue on a southward spiral, down, down and further down. In times of crisis a country needs competent, honest, dedicated leaders with integrity and courage and compassion. The coronavirus is shining a very bright torch directly on the leaders of this country and it is being made drastically clear these people are not up to the job.

I predicted months ago that the UK would end up handling the virus worse than anywhere in Europe. I based that on my knowledge of the competence of the people in charge of this country. This has now come pass and sadly the circumstances we are in show no signs of improvement. Indeed the policies of Johnson and co ensure that things here in the UK are going to remain dangerous, disparing, chaotic for months to come. I do genuinely fear for the direction this country is heading in and I look towards the next couple of years with genuine trepidation and fear.

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
I do genuinely fear for the direction this country is heading in and I look towards the next couple of years with genuine trepidation and fear.
Kier Starmer has a lot to answer for if you feel that way with regards to Brexit - he was one of the main ones pushing Corbyn into their disastrous EU policy at the election which caused them untold damage and gave Boris the huge win.

·
34,229 Posts
Kier Starmer has a lot to answer for if you feel that way with regards to Brexit - he was one of the main ones pushing Corbyn into their disastrous EU policy at the election which caused them untold damage and gave Boris the huge win.
That's actually not true. Reality is that Corbyn muzzled Starmer during the election campaign and Starmer was not part of Labour's campaign, which obviously was a big mistake. Corbyn sat on the fence in a way that did the party no good at all inspiring absolutely no one. That would absolutely not have been Starmer's policy. Many in Labour, including Starmer, did everything they could to get Labour to present a more positive pro European message. Unfortunately the extremists within Labour, the likes of people like Seamus Milne, Len McCluskey and Jennie Formby made that impossible.

Yes it is true, the leader of Labour who had a -51 point approval rating silenced the man who is leading Labour now and has a +23 point approval rating (higher than that of Johnson). It wouldn't be understating things to say it almost looks like Labour had a death wish at the last election.

·
Administrator
66,883 Posts
That's actually not true. Reality is that Corbyn muzzled Starmer during the election campaign and Starmer was not part of Labour's campaign, which obviously was a big mistake. Corbyn sat on the fence in a way that did the party no good at all inspiring absolutely no one. That would absolutely not have been Starmer's policy. Many in Labour, including Starmer, did everything they could to get Labour to present a more positive pro European message. Unfortunately the extremists within Labour, the likes of people like Seamus Milne, Len McCluskey and Jennie Formby made that impossible.
Yes how you word it in itself is correct in it's way - but I take issue over Corbyn being on the fence as being the bad thing in terms of votes to win at the election - he was clinging to that fence whilst Starmer was trying to pull him off into a pro:EU field against an anti:EU/respect the referendum result Boris, which is what the actual disaster for Labour ended up being.

3881 - 3900 of 4607 Posts