Tennis Forum banner

3621 - 3640 of 3744 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,029 Posts
I assumed you were coming from a trip out of earth to be this light or ignorant about the Covid-19. Hospitals are overstretched. The crisis is concrete. Do you read other posts? Or do you live in denial along with your bros Dan and Miracle Worker?
Have you read my entire post? Where did I say that this isn't a real crisis? I'm aware there are people in real danger who should be protected, and I wrote that there.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
After 3 years of those who didn't want it playing politics to stop it and every opportunity and then a decisive election where it was "the" issue of the election which gave Boris a landslide win - the outcome of it is that UK is now no longer a member of the EU - so that's Brexit done in anyone's book. Future trade talks are ongoing yes, but we have left.

This virus thing isn't really a party political matter, it hadn't even been heard of at the time of the last election.
All you are really doing is playing up to the idea that Brexiteers don't know what they voted for or voted for fantasy reasons that were a figment of their imagination. Nothing with regards to Brexit is decided, we are still effectively on the same terms right now that we were before. If it was that simple to convince Brexiteers you might as well have done what that satire piece a while ago said, of just one day come out and say we have left the EU, and people wouldn't notice the difference. You yourself have repeatedly said you wanted to get out of control from under EU laws, something which hasn't yet happened, and seems to be at loggerheads with what you are now saying, as you are giving the impression you are satisfied with the current outcome.

The point was electing this government was always a disaster waiting to happen. There were many warnings ahead of the general election of the brain drain going on within the Conservative party, and the threats that poses, this is just one of them, that when something serious arises they are clueless, there's no leadership, because the people at the top are well out of their depth.

·
Premium Member
38,340 Posts
Have you read my entire post? Where did I say that this isn't a real crisis? I'm aware there are people in real danger who should be protected, and I wrote that there.
Of course i've read your entire post. It's the kind of post people were posting two months ago during your trip on Mars.

Nobody should use the word "flu" about this virus from now on.

·
Administrator
65,107 Posts
All you are really doing is playing up to the idea that Brexiteers don't know what they voted for or voted for fantasy reasons that were a figment of their imagination. Nothing with regards to Brexit is decided, we are still effectively on the same terms right now that we were before. If it was that simple to convince Brexiteers you might as well have done what that satire piece a while ago said, of just one day come out and say we have left the EU, and people wouldn't notice the difference. You yourself have repeatedly said you wanted to get out of control from under EU laws, something which hasn't yet happened, and seems to be at loggerheads with what you are now saying, as you are giving the impression you are satisfied with the current outcome.
Well yes - the signed agreement after the election with the EU was that the UK LEAVES the EU with a transition period - so we've left - if you look at the current list of EU countries you'll see that the UK isn't a member anymore.

Yes we adhere to EU rules till the end of the year and by the end of the year there's either a deal or there's not a deal - I and people of a like mind wanted to leave the EU so we did not vote for a party that supported EU membership and am satisfied that we've left.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Well yes - the signed agreement after the election with the EU was that the UK LEAVES the EU with a transition period - so we've left - if you look at the current list of EU countries you'll see that the UK isn't a member anymore.

Yes we adhere to EU rules till the end of the year and by the end of the year there's either a deal or there's not a deal - I and people of a like mind wanted to leave the EU so we did not vote for a party that supported EU membership and am satisfied that we've left.
And who cares what else they stand for right. Screw the NHS, screw public services, screw the vulnerable, all that matters is you got your wish to leave the EU I suppose?

You have to take ownership for everything you voted for, not just pick out the bits you like, especially given you were continually warned and belittled the warnings.

·
Administrator
65,107 Posts
And who cares what else they stand for right. Screw the NHS, screw public services, screw the vulnerable, all that matters is you got your wish to leave the EU I suppose?

You have to take ownership for everything you voted for, not just pick out the bits you like, especially given you were continually warned and belittled the warnings.
I don't get what point you're trying to make - the EU issue is sorted.

If you're talking about the Virus situation - Boris (or Corbyn) aren't health experts - they've obviously taken advice from the best Health experts of the country and have come to the decision they have. That's the whole thing about this - nobody knows what's ahead for us as it's a totally new situation. It seems a strange course to take, yes and I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong because none of us know for sure.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
It surely is the biggest irony of all right now that we are trying to hide behind certain expert opinion when for the last 4 years those now in charge have been saying we're fed up of experts and don't need them.
By that same logic you're now ignoring the experts. At least the time horizon here is 6 month predictions made by medical experts instead of you deifying 10 year predictions by economists.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
I don't get what point you're trying to make - the EU issue is sorted.

If you're talking about the Virus situation - Boris (or Corbyn) aren't health experts - they've obviously taken advice from the best Health experts of the country and have come to the decision they have. That's the whole thing about this - nobody knows what's ahead for us as it's a totally new situation. It seems a strange course to take, yes and I'm not saying it's right or it's wrong because none of us know for sure.
How can it be sorted when literally nothing is decided. Using this logic you would be happy for things to go on as they are now forever more with regards to relationship with the EU which is then suggesting you had no purpose to vote leave in the first place.

The point is it's all entwined in politics, as I said politics isn't about one issue, it's a multi-issue game. The action being taken is all down to a huge lack of preparation due to years of under funding of the NHS and public services, something which is entirely the fault of the Conservatives. The stats were there for all to see who bothered to do the research for what they were voting for. If you voted for the Conservatives you were voting for more deaths, just look at the increased number of deaths down to austerity. It's then one of two things, either you were happy to go along with that, or you did not know you were voting for, the latter is even providing a get out clause for those that were misled.

·
Administrator
65,107 Posts
How can it be sorted when literally nothing is decided. Using this logic you would be happy for things to go on as they are now forever more with regards to relationship with the EU which is then suggesting you had no purpose to vote leave in the first place.
The agreement signed was that the UK would leave and then stick to the EU rules until the end of 2020. We've left and are sticking to those rules till 31 Dec 2020, that's part of the deal and it's legally impossible for us to change them. 1st Jan 2021 onwards we make our own rules or stick to rules we wish to.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Isn't it wonderful being sovereign? We can now quit all those annoying groups we used to be in.

Anyone who was paying attention to the details was well aware of all the pitfalls. Unfortunately one line rhetoric won the day, which is indeed still what this is about, it's cheap political point scoring, can't be seen to be doing anything the EU are doing, we're independent Great Britain.

One of the downsides is you will now see spin how it was the corona virus that brought us down, not the fact that people voted for a recession when they voted for the Tories. Indeed you can already see the spin from the mugs on Twitter somehow flipping it on to Corbyn. The sort of idiot spinning about how few cases we have, the next brain wave will be you can show off you have zero cases if you do zero tests.

·
Registered
40,218 Posts
The government not wanting to foot the bill for cancelling events so takes away medical staff so the events cannot take place...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,294 Posts
Welfare cuts have left UK undefended against coronavirus The UK has fewer ICU beds per capita than Italy. Austerity measures have led to a catastrophe waiting to happen.

This is a pretty shocking article. I'm not posting all of it here, those who want to read the whole thing can click on the link, but these are the 1st few paragraphs and highlights....

One interesting thing this article does tell us is this. Germany has 29.2 Intensive Care Unit (ICU) beds per 100,000 people compared to the UK which has just 6.6 ICU beds per 100,000. Have we discovered the secret to why Germany is doing so well keeping their Coronavirus death-rate down? Also quite worryingly Italy has twice as many ICU beds per 100,000 as the UK. That's not good.

Along with other countries, the UK is braced for an epidemic of coronavirus cases, with health officials in the country warning that widespread transmission is now "highly likely".

If this happens, many will need hospital treatment, and concerns are being raised that the country is woefully ill-equipped to manage the crisis.

One of the keys to ensuring effective treatment for critical-condition cases of coronavirus is the availability of a high number of intensive care unit (ICU) beds. This is because, if the UK follows the pattern in China, as many as one in five coronavirus patients could need intensive care in order to recover.

But, according to figures from the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), the UK has just 6.6 ICU beds per 100,000 people, compared with Germany's 29.2, Italy's 12.5 and France's 9.7.

In its annual Budget, delivered this week, the UK government produced a welcome series of financial stimulus packages designed to help fund the NHS, including six billion pounds for 50,000 more nurses, 40 new hospitals and 50 million more GP surgery appointments, but the overriding impression is of a government still focusing its priorities around shielding the UK economy from the virus, but not yet its people.

In terms of managing the supply of treatment to fight coronavirus, the financial stimulus to the NHS is too little, too late for an over-pressured health system that has been underfunded for an entire decade.

Out of the G7 countries, the UK's health spending per person was until this week's financial stimulus announcement, the second-lowest, spending 2,989 pounds a person in 2017 - far behind France and Germany. This is a consequence of a decade of NHS underfunding wrapped around the auspices of austerity.

England currently has one of the lowest levels of hospital beds per 1,000 people ratio - 2.3 - according to the OECD, compared with 13 in Japan; 12 in South Korea; eight in Russia and Germany; six in France; 4.5 in Switzerland; 4.3 in China; 4.2 in Scotland, 3.8 in Australia; 3.6 in Italy; 2.97 in Spain; 2.96 in Ireland; and 2.77 in the US.

The UK now has fewer doctors and nurses per head than almost any developed country. It ranks second-worst with only 2.8 doctors and 7.9 nurses per 1,000 population - both well below the average for the 21 countries that were analysed. The average number of doctors per 1,000 population is 3.6, with Austria having 5.1, and the average number of nurses is 10.1. Switzerland has 18 nurses per 1,000 people - more than twice as many as the UK.
These three articles are specifically about the UK's loss of EU NHS staff since the Brexit vote:

NHS missing 10,000 nurses since Brexit as Europeans avoid moving to the UK - Daily Mirror

More than 22,000 EU nationals have left NHS since Brexit referendum, figures show - The Independent

More than 11,000 NHS staff from the EU have left since the Brexit referendum - The Metro

But hey.....who needs nurses when you have sovereignty? Right? :confused:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,294 Posts
Trivia question. Who once said "The real hero of Jaws is the mayor. A gigantic fish is eating all your constituents and he decides to keep the beaches open. OK, in that instance he was actually wrong. But in principle, we need more politicians like the mayor.”?

·
Registered
40,218 Posts
Boris says 12 weeks to turn the tide, that’s like get brexit done on the 31st October, he might get that done as well we shall see!

·
Registered
40,218 Posts
Boris’s own ministers are saying he’s wrong about the 12 weeks. This Tory government will be undone by coronavirus, however I do think boris is updating the country well, with these war like meetings he does see himself as another chuchill.

·
Registered
40,218 Posts
Lockdown by the end of the week it looks like, Boris has just given a stark warning, however there are rumours of a cross party revolt in the houses of commons lead by senior tories.

3621 - 3640 of 3744 Posts