Tennis Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
While brainstorming my genius unwashed panty funding, this discrepancy escaped my attention. Why does she need almost 4x as much? :confused: $40k is a lot less panty sales - only 3.75 panty sales per week
$40k probably means traveling the absolute cheapest way possible whereas with $150k she could travel in a bit more luxury.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
82,549 Posts
ITF survey was about actual costs, not about the ideal world, where players would play anywhere they like, would be traveling with the coaches full time etc.

And it's average. It's one thing to spend six months in Sharm el Sheikh and it's a different thing flying to a different tournament every week.

·
Premium Member
12,064 Posts
$40k probably means traveling the absolute cheapest way possible whereas with $150k she could travel in a bit more luxury.

I'd wager $40 is the cheapest and $150,000 is what you would have to spend to try and create or maintain an elite career. The $40k figure is likley if you use your local clubs coaches for an hour session or as part of a group. The $150,000 is likely having a full time top level coach, physio, personnal trainer, expenses for your coaches travel, food, accomodation etc. I'd imagine $150,000 isn't even for having your own team on tour.

·
Premium Member
12,064 Posts
As for similar extended reading for those interested here are a few similar and informative articles:

A low ranked Irish proffesionals tour:

Financing the Tour | Life as an Irish Professional Tennis Player

A player surviving through Grand Slam entries being in just the top 100:

Forbes Welcome

An couple of good articles on tenis costs that features CoCo and Bethany:

French Open -- The sobering reality of tennis costs

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/30/tennis/wimbledon-2015-tennis-pros-count-cost/

A good topic on tennis money:

http://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/822730-tennis-has-income-inequality-problem.html

·
👑 не дум&#10
44,853 Posts
ITF survey was about actual costs, not about the ideal world, where players would play anywhere they like, would be traveling with the coaches full time etc.

And it's average. It's one thing to spend six months in Sharm el Sheikh and it's a different thing flying to a different tournament every week.
Ive heard it straight from talking to one of the players, playing in Sharm el Sheikh isnt cheap

·
Registered
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
how about you move to Santa Margherita di Pula where there's soon going to be a futures each week, the place is wonderful and there's even camping facilities. yes, you'd have the transatlantic flight cost but you'd save tons of money staying there and you could also coach at the hotel in the spare time. you should really give it a try imho. plus the field is usually weak-medium for a futures, meaning you'd constantly get to R2/QF at worst, if u are lucky enough you can run into a walkover or a guy getting injuried and you'd rak up tons of pts to play all sort of CH qualies and futures back in USA.

Reactions: Johnny Groove

·
Registered
8,574 Posts
how about you move to Santa Margherita di Pula where there's soon going to be a futures each week, the place is wonderful and there's even camping facilities. yes, you'd have the transatlantic flight cost but you'd save tons of money staying there and you could also coach at the hotel in the spare time. you should really give it a try imho. plus the field is usually weak-medium for a futures, meaning you'd constantly get to R2/QF at worst, if u are lucky enough you can run into a walkover or a guy getting injuried and you'd rak up tons of pts to play all sort of CH qualies and futures back in USA.
I would definitely do that if I were a not-so-talented medium level player just wanting to live the dream for a few years, but eventually you'd have to get out of the Satellite level in order to improve your tennis, and that's when the going gets though. There's no such thing as a $25K circuit in a single country and that implies travelling all year long.

·
Stanning for Andi
21,681 Posts
A career spent on the ITF circuit almost exclusively playing doubles is a financially fruitless exercise, alas. Has anyone else managed to last as long as Slater has? I suppose someone like Sandra Klemenschits is the closest example but at least she gets into the odd WTA event here and there (and nabs a win or two as well) and doesn't travel as much as Slater.

·
Registered
10,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
A career spent on the ITF circuit almost exclusively playing doubles is a financially fruitless exercise, alas. Has anyone else managed to last as long as Slater has? I suppose someone like Sandra Klemenschits is the closest example but at least she gets into the odd WTA event here and there (and nabs a win or two as well) and doesn't travel as much as Slater.
there's ATP players who've made millions playing CH doubles, not in prize money of course.

·
Premium Member
12,064 Posts
Ive heard it straight from talking to one of the players, playing in Sharm el Sheikh isnt cheap
Naomi Cavaday did a podcast on this. And there ahve been otehr articles. The players actually get good hotel rates for playing Sharm, and appeciate it, but it's an expensive area of Egypt so you need to be playing 2 or 3 weeks and going deep to be walking away in the black.

·
TF's Only Vögele Stan
5,648 Posts
There's no such thing as a $25K circuit in a single country and that implies travelling all year long.
That's exactly it.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I’ll just leave this here:

New Tennis Panties x 728 (2 per day) @ $5ea = $3640

Sold on eBay unwashed x 728 @ $211ea = $153,640

Profit = $150,000

As long as she's good looking, should work.

:angel:
Which day did you exclude?

Does she get a break on Christmas? :)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts