Tennis Forum banner

261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
La nuit je mens
86,896 Posts
Golovin is still a commentator on BEIN Sport France. Calling YEC matches this week. Good thing in case her comeback flops.
She's not done any commentary since her comeback. Nowhere to be heard since the beginning of the YEC.

·
La nuit je mens
86,896 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hum no she did no commenting for the YEC so far.
She was actually working at the ATP Paris Masters.

She gave a new interview here.
She said that tennis has haunted her dreams an nightmares ever since she retired. :sad:

How she started again:
"It started with a remark by Pauline Parmentier on a TV set this year at Wimbledon. Smiling, she said to me, "You talk like a journalist!" She thought I was a bit critical having forgotten how complicated it is to get there. Thinking back, yes, I had done more television than tennis in my life. This job came to me, I had no ambition: it's a shame because we stagnate in its conditions, but logical since I never dreamed of doing television. I took the racket again. I wanted to outdo myself because I do not like comfort. "

Poitiers:
"I know very well that we normally do not start playing again after only two months of training. Everyone advised me against it, I was told: "It's useless, you did not even win a set in training". I did it to regain the status of player, this routine. And I liked it. Defeats 6-0, 6/1 as Poitiers, we take even better prepared. We can miss a match but we learn a lot more from this kind of defeats than training. "

What is your goal?
"Of course, I'm not interested in being 500th in the world. I want to replay the Grand Slams, find the team of France. I missed the Olympics in Beijing in 2008. Tokyo arrives a little early because you have to be Top50 but at the limit, even if you talk long term, you can "stay alive" until Paris 2024 and finish there, it would be the ultimate goal. The desire is there but you have to be lucid: I went professional at 16, it's young but I had ten years of tennis behind me! It's a long way with little chance of success. Maybe I will not get there, question of level, of physics, of mental ... but I will accept it because I would have tried. I am not afraid of failure. It's a state of mind. "

That's to say?
"Without risk, we can not do beautiful things. I am proud to make this choice, to have no regrets. Clearly, it's a crisis of the thirties! My life was good, quiet, but I could not be satisfied with that. I said to myself, "What do I show my children? "I want to instill in them values ​​but how to transmit them when we do not represent them anymore? My eldest is 5 years old, she understands very well. For her, the examples are very important. And let's be clear, I can not do anything but play tennis! I have never had other talents so if I wanted to find myself, it was to resume my sport. "

·
Registered
6,986 Posts

She said that tennis has haunted her dreams an nightmares ever since she retired. :sad:

How she started again:
"It started with a remark by Pauline Parmentier on a TV set this year at Wimbledon. Smiling, she said to me, "You talk like a journalist!" She thought I was a bit critical having forgotten how complicated it is to get there. Thinking back, yes, I had done more television than tennis in my life. This job came to me, I had no ambition: it's a shame because we stagnate in its conditions, but logical since I never dreamed of doing television. I took the racket again. I wanted to outdo myself because I do not like comfort. "

Poitiers:
"I know very well that we normally do not start playing again after only two months of training. Everyone advised me against it, I was told: "It's useless, you did not even win a set in training". I did it to regain the status of player, this routine. And I liked it. Defeats 6-0, 6/1 as Poitiers, we take even better prepared. We can miss a match but we learn a lot more from this kind of defeats than training. "

What is your goal?
"Of course, I'm not interested in being 500th in the world. I want to replay the Grand Slams, find the team of France. I missed the Olympics in Beijing in 2008. Tokyo arrives a little early because you have to be Top50 but at the limit, even if you talk long term, you can "stay alive" until Paris 2024 and finish there, it would be the ultimate goal. The desire is there but you have to be lucid: I went professional at 16, it's young but I had ten years of tennis behind me! It's a long way with little chance of success. Maybe I will not get there, question of level, of physics, of mental ... but I will accept it because I would have tried. I am not afraid of failure. It's a state of mind. "

That's to say?
"Without risk, we can not do beautiful things. I am proud to make this choice, to have no regrets. Clearly, it's a crisis of the thirties! My life was good, quiet, but I could not be satisfied with that. I said to myself, "What do I show my children? "I want to instill in them values ​​but how to transmit them when we do not represent them anymore? My eldest is 5 years old, she understands very well. For her, the examples are very important. And let's be clear, I can not do anything but play tennis! I have never had other talents so if I wanted to find myself, it was to resume my sport. "
Quite candid.

She clearly wants it. But will her body allow her?

·
Registered
755 Posts
I was sceptical about her decision to get thrashed in high tier ITFs, but she seems very reasonable and realistic her, wish her good luck :yeah:

·
Registered
30,751 Posts

How she started again:

Poitiers:

What is your goal?

That's to say?
Good for her!!!!

·
Registered
50,575 Posts

She said that tennis has haunted her dreams and nightmares ever since she retired. :sad:

How she started again:

Poitiers:

What is your goal?

That's to say?
Thanks. An interesting interview :yeah:

This explains a lot.
Paris 2024 is her ultimate goal ?! :eek:
She is a mother ??? And even has 2 children ? :spit: I never heard about it.
I only heard she had a soccer boyfriend with North African roots. And I think I also heard they divorced. But never heard that she became a mother.

Her comeback won´t be easy at all.
Any news on her next tournament/schedule ?

·
La nuit je mens
86,896 Posts
I would stay at home with a husband like hers.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think she has timed it wrong for her Olympic dream. As she says, she's unlikely to be ranked high enough by Tokyo. But Paris? 4-5 years hence? When she's 36?

I think the chances of her being among the top 4 Frenchwomen, and having a high enough world ranking at that point are very slim indeed, sadly.

I guess she knows that. It's her ideal goal, but I think she'd be doing well to manage a couple of years at WTA level. And maybe that'd be enough to scratch the itch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think she has timed it wrong for her Olympic dream. As she says, she's unlikely to be ranked high enough by Tokyo. But Paris? 4-5 years hence? When she's 36?

I think the chances of her being among the top 4 Frenchwomen, and having a high enough world ranking at that point are very slim indeed, sadly.

I guess she knows that. It's her ideal goal, but I think she'd be doing well to manage a couple of years at WTA level. And maybe that'd be enough to scratch the itch.
The timing was out of her hands really. It was only in the past year that, after a decade of thinking her career was over, she learned that new treatments meant her chronic injury is more manageable.

The big question is whether she can even recover a decent level, but I guess the one hope she'd have is that, like Kimiko, her 36 year old body should be far fresher than that of a player with 20 years as a pro behind them.

·
Registered
735 Posts

How she started again:

Poitiers:

What is your goal?

That's to say?
I always liked her, but her interview shows she's grounded and positive, the perfect mindset, if her body holds up fine, I see her getting there in a few years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
She has a main draw wildcard in Limoges as expected. She can't bring these wildcards into 2020 and this is the last French event on the calendar, so that's fine by me. It will be interesting to see how much better she is in like 7 weeks. There won't be anymore French tournaments for some time after this so that's when she'll have to figure out a proper schedule. Unless this goes shockingly well, I kinda hope she waits until like March to properly get back to competition.

"I returned very quickly. Of course I was not ready. You do not catch up after eleven years with so little training. But for me, psychologically, it was important to be able to call myself a tennis player, an athlete, again. That's what I missed the most in the last eleven years. "

"It happens a little bit fast in the recovery," says Tatiana in an interview she gave us. "But I have a huge chance to participate in a WTA tournament, especially in France. Pascal (Biojout, director of Open BLS Limoges) gave me a wild card and I am very grateful. I will try to do my best. I'm still recovering, it may be a bit early to play girls who are 100th world, but we'll see. In little under a month, I will already be at a higher level. I can really give myself a chance to compete with others of this level."

·
Registered
15,886 Posts
She's positive and self aware that's the most important. From what I saw in Lux, the serve and fitness is mostly what she need to work on. Everything else look like her old self.

261 - 277 of 277 Posts