Tennis Forum banner

241 - 260 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
How would playing a 25/50k be a waste of time when she literally hasn’t played in over a decade? She’s not Kim Clijsters, and even Kim wasn’t even out that long, and as mentioned, even Vaidisova (who was only gone for the game for 3/4 years) made her return in lower-level US challengers in 2014, and it actually worked to build form slowly, up until she got injured post Miami 2015, when it all went to shit.

She needs matches, confidence, momentum - all of which won’t be gotten by losing R1 in the aforementioned events.
I'm not sure if you are not actually reading what she is saying, or if you are simply ignoring it, but it's been explained a few times now....Golovin has no expectations or goals with these events, she is literally testing out her back and gauging her mentality/level with these matches before then heading off to do the real training. These events are literally hours from her base, so it's worth it for her to go test out these events ( versus flying across the world to play the US circuit, over flying over to Asia to play those events). I think her actual comeback is next year.

And to further explain what the guy above was saying, there is no point for her to "try things out" at the 15/25/50k level, because if she were to say, have success, it would do her no good against the level of the 80/100k and tour level players. Her goal IS NOT to comeback as a journeywoman, so she wants to get a chance on the court against these top 200 girls and see what it feels like ( and what is needed to compete) at that level.........beating up on 15k level scrubs would not at all let her gauge the level of what it is like to play the best players of the world in 2019.

·
King
28,554 Posts
I'm not sure if you are not actually reading what she is saying, or if you are simply ignoring it, but it's been explained a few times now....Golovin has no expectations or goals with these events, she is literally testing out her back and gauging her mentality/level with these matches before then heading off to do the real training. These events are literally hours from her base, so it's worth it for her to go test out these events ( versus flying across the world to play the US circuit, over flying over to Asia to play those events). I think her actual comeback is next year.

And to further explain what the guy above was saying, there is no point for her to "try things out" at the 15/25/50k level, because if she were to say, have success, it would do her no good against the level of the 80/100k and tour level players. Her goal IS NOT to comeback as a journeywoman, so she wants to get a chance on the court against these top 200 girls and see what it feels like ( and what is needed to compete) at that level.........beating up on 15k level scrubs would not at all let her gauge the level of what it is like to play the best players of the world in 2019.
1) If she’s testing the waters out for her back then it already doesn’t sound promising, as mentioned previously, and yes I have already read this. She can test the waters of her back intensive training and serious practice matches - you don’t need to enter these events to tell you that.

2) Again, the logic that 25/50k events don’t stand you you in terms of confidence, form, momentum when you haven’t played on the in a decade is ridiculous. As mentioned previously, the level of the tour that she’s trying to enter in on since she was last active is a lot more competitive and tougher to breakthrough than it ever was - the mid-ranked scrubs of the 00s are fitter, faster and hungrier, and it’s something which she would need to adapt to.

3) And AGAIN, other players have been in her position before - probably a much less precarious one - and have started at that level and worked their way up. Starting your comeback at a 25k level is not indicative of a player’s ambitions to not be a journey- woman at all, but anyway....

·
Registered
30,878 Posts
I will say it does seem odd she's taking a main draw wildcard for Poitiers instead of starting in qualies. But besides that, I agree that she should figure her schedule out and none of us know what goes into her decisions.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Who ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
1) If she’s testing the waters out for her back then it already doesn’t sound promising, as mentioned previously, and yes I have already read this. She can test the waters of her back intensive training and serious practice matches - you don’t need to enter these events to tell you that.

2) Again, the logic that 25/50k events don’t stand you you in terms of confidence, form, momentum when you haven’t played on the in a decade is ridiculous. As mentioned previously, the level of the tour that she’s trying to enter in on since she was last active is a lot more competitive and tougher to breakthrough than it ever was - the mid-ranked scrubs of the 00s are fitter, faster and hungrier, and it’s something which she would need to adapt to.

3) And AGAIN, other players have been in her position before - probably a much less precarious one - and have started at that level and worked their way up. Starting your comeback at a 25k level is not indicative of a player’s ambitions to not be a journey- woman at all, but anyway....
Uh, did you miss the part where she has chronic arthritis in her spine? She did not just wake up one day and it miraculously disappeared. Medicine has advanced dramatically since 2008 and it’s now manageable in a way it simply wasn’t when she stopped. But it’s completely new ground and she is still testing things out, seeing how it reacts and making adjustments. There are many players competing with chronic injuries.

Once again, she’s not looking for momentum. She’s just seeing how things react and also just a bit desperate to feel like a tennis player again. She has been playing for 2 months after not playing regularly for 11 years -- she is miles from top shape. It certainly does remain to be seen how much this will help her game, but it’s not going to harm her. She already took heart from being competitive with the no.130 for a set.

The comparison isn’t Vaidisova but rather Serena being so anxious about her comeback that she returned so soon last year. She was miles off top form and got dragged left and right, but just being a tennis player again probably dispelled a lot of doubts and it clearly motivated her to get back into shape. If Serena was anxious after just missing a year, imagine how Golovin feels trying to start again after 11 years.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
She lost the momentum in the second set. She got the first break and had some chances for 2:0, but couldn't manage it. It's was not that bad, but still a lot of work to do. I would prefer to see her playing tournaments like Petange next week.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
She probably wants to play 3 events that at least give her 1 point if she loses so that she can at least establish a world ranking again quickly!

It will make it easier for her to enter ITF events then, and she won't be completely reliant on Wildcards
This doesn't seem like an unreasonable strategy. By making a start now, she will begin next year with a ranking, and a clean slate for wildcard allocation in that season. She hasn't had to make any costly and disruptive long distance travel, and could measure herself against professional players.

But next year, if she is serious about her comeback, she is probably going to have to slog it out in the arse end of nowhere, in low tier tournaments, until she works her way up.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
There are a few. In 2019 there were 8 in France. Also 10 25Ks, and 9 higher-tier:

https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/women's-calendar.aspx?tour=&reg=EUR&nat=FRA&sur=&cate=ITF&iod=&fromDate=01-01-2019&toDate=31-12-2019&prizeMoney=15000

https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/women's-calendar.aspx?tour=&reg=EUR&nat=FRA&sur=&cate=ITF&iod=&fromDate=01-01-2019&toDate=31-12-2019&prizeMoney=25000

https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/women's-calendar.aspx?tour=&reg=EUR&nat=FRA&sur=&cate=ITF&iod=&fromDate=01-01-2019&toDate=31-12-2019&prizeMoney=60000

How many wildcards can she get? I'd expect that any of these tournaments would like her, as a known name.

She probably shouldn't use them all at the start of the year. Wait until she has enough form to win matches.

I guess a short term goal will be to show enough form to get a qualie WC for Garros. She might need to travel a bit to manage that.

·
Registered
14,355 Posts
There are a few. In 2019 there were 8 in France. Also 10 25Ks, and 9 higher-tier:

https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/women's-calendar.aspx?tour=&reg=EUR&nat=FRA&sur=&cate=ITF&iod=&fromDate=01-01-2019&toDate=31-12-2019&prizeMoney=15000

https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/women's-calendar.aspx?tour=&reg=EUR&nat=FRA&sur=&cate=ITF&iod=&fromDate=01-01-2019&toDate=31-12-2019&prizeMoney=25000

https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/tournaments/women's-calendar.aspx?tour=&reg=EUR&nat=FRA&sur=&cate=ITF&iod=&fromDate=01-01-2019&toDate=31-12-2019&prizeMoney=60000

How many wildcards can she get? I'd expect that any of these tournaments would like her, as a known name.

She probably shouldn't use them all at the start of the year. Wait until she has enough form to win matches.

I guess a short term goal will be to show enough form to get a qualie WC for Garros. She might need to travel a bit to manage that.
ITF WC: 3MD, 3 Q
WTA WC:3MD, 3 Q
WTA 125K: 3
Grand slam: no limit

·
Registered
18 Posts
She's not playing in Nantes. I hope she just decided there was no point after the last match. She should focus on training and becoming physically strong again.

My guess is that she'll show up in the Limoges $125k during Christmas. I wouldn't mind that since at least she'd have an extra two months of training, which is almost double what she had already. :eek: She'd also be able to waste a wildcard she won't be able to use next year.

·
Registered
52,287 Posts
she may have had a shot at a competitive match in Nantes qualies.. that's if she's healthy ... it's weird she withdrew from Nantes- hopefully she doesn' feel too much pain :)
take care, Tati ! :hug:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Golovin is still a commentator on BEIN Sport France. Calling YEC matches this week. Good thing in case her comeback flops.

241 - 260 of 298 Posts