Tennis Forum banner

221 - 240 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
14,044 Posts
Quallies or MD?

Not sure, the tweet just says she will play

Ancienne 12e joueuse mondiale en 2008, 2 titres WTA et ancienne membre de l'équipe de France de Fed Cup, elle fait son come-back sur le circuit et a choisi de passer par les IFV pour se relancer.
La française Tatiana Golovin sera présente aux IFV !
Soyez au rendez-vous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Poitiers is a W80, so still quite a high level. Players qualifying directly for the main draw are ranked WTA 53-166.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
She probably wants to play 3 events that at least give her 1 point if she loses so that she can at least establish a world ranking again quickly!

It will make it easier for her to enter ITF events then, and she won't be completely reliant on Wildcards

·
Registered
401 Posts
Golovin has taken a wildcard into the W80 Poitiers event in France next week.
Main draw or qualifying?
Anyway, hope she'll do well. Would be great to see her play main draws of WTA-events again in 2020.

·
King
28,532 Posts
Her tournament selection so far seems overly ambitious, and I get that she's probably just hoping everything clicks straight away and she'll pick up where she left off in the 00s on the tour and bypass the challenger grind to save her body, but chances of that are super slim. The game has changed a lot in the mid-levels since she left the tour, and quick-fire breakthroughs from challenger to tour level are becoming more and more of an anomaly.

Poitiers has been consistently, over the years, one of the strongest challenger events of the season, and for someone who has been out of the game for a decade with no form or momentum, it really doesn't make a lot of sense playing here, IMO. Even Vaidisova after 3-4 years out from the game started back at 25k level events, and even then, she didn't have it easy - first two matches back were against Karatantcheva and Konta.

·
Registered
39,075 Posts
Trying the shortcut again. So not surprising. It's a bad choice.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Her tournament selection so far seems overly ambitious, and I get that she's probably just hoping everything clicks straight away and she'll pick up where she left off in the 00s on the tour and bypass the challenger grind to save her body, but chances of that are super slim. The game has changed a lot in the mid-levels since she left the tour, and quick-fire breakthroughs from challenger to tour level are becoming more and more of an anomaly.

Poitiers has been consistently, over the years, one of the strongest challenger events of the season, and for someone who has been out of the game for a decade with no form or momentum, it really doesn't make a lot of sense playing here, IMO. Even Vaidisova after 3-4 years out from the game started back at 25k level events, and even then, she didn't have it easy - first two matches back were against Karatantcheva and Konta.
Well, I was listening to her press conference in Luxembourg (english starts at 9:50) and I don't think it's any of that at all. She lives in Paris so these events are close and won't disrupt her training much if she loses first round. She has only been training for 2 months but it's an opportunity to see how her back reacts to matches, which is still a big question mark, and test her level/mind after not competing for over 11 years. If she actually finds a decent level, awesome. If not, there's a lot more work to be done. After tennis was robbed from her for so long, seems like she's also just desperate to feel what it's like to be a tennis player again.

She doesn't seem to be at all delusional about how much work and effort it will take to get back to a decent level. There are just a lot more factors when you're coming back after 11 years and it wasn't her choice to leave.

·
King
28,532 Posts
Well, I was listening to her press conference in Luxembourg (english starts at 9:50) and I don't think it's any of that at all. She lives in Paris so these events are close and won't disrupt her training much if she loses first round. She has only been training for 2 months but it's an opportunity to see how her back reacts to matches, which is still a big question mark, and test her level/mind after not competing for over 11 years. If she actually finds a decent level, awesome. If not, there's a lot more work to be done. After tennis was robbed from her for so long, seems like she's also just desperate to feel what it's like to be a tennis player again.

She doesn't seem to be at all delusional about how much work and effort it will take to get back to a decent level. There are just a lot more factors when you're coming back after 11 years and it wasn't her choice to leave.
But how does losing handily in the first round of upper-echelon challengers or WTA qualies actually benefit her right now? She could also play 1st round of AO and lose if she got an easy WC, but it would again just proves the obvious - that there's a lot of hard work and grind to be done to get back to the sort of level which would make this a successful comeback. Playing these events right now because it's "handy" doesn't really make sense if she's thinking long-term.

·
Registered
15 Posts
But how does losing handily in the first round of upper-echelon challengers or WTA qualies actually benefit her right now? She could also play 1st round of AO and lose if she got an easy WC, but it would again just proves the obvious - that there's a lot of hard work and grind to be done to get back to the sort of level which would make this a successful comeback. Playing these events right now because it's "handy" doesn't really make sense if she's thinking long-term.
I didn't say that I think it helps her game. Frankly, I don't think you should be playing any tournaments when you have only been training for 2 months after not training seriously for 11 years.

But after hearing her speak, it makes sense.

·
Registered
47,998 Posts
Starting from 15k would be a waste of time IMO, playing 80k is just fine. If she is unable to win some matches in 80k challengers, she should not play at all, as I doubt she is back just to turn into a journeywoman.

·
King
28,532 Posts
Starting from 15k would be a waste of time IMO, playing 80k is just fine. If she is unable to win some matches in 80k challengers, she should not play at all, as I doubt she is back just to turn into a journeywoman.
How would playing a 25/50k be a waste of time when she literally hasn’t played in over a decade? She’s not Kim Clijsters, and even Kim wasn’t even out that long, and as mentioned, even Vaidisova (who was only gone for the game for 3/4 years) made her return in lower-level US challengers in 2014, and it actually worked to build form slowly, up until she got injured post Miami 2015, when it all went to shit.

She needs matches, confidence, momentum - all of which won’t be gotten by losing R1 in the aforementioned events.

221 - 240 of 277 Posts