Tennis Forum banner

121 - 123 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
And how now to define clean Russian athletes if Russia destroyed many of doping samples? I consider Russia is to blame, and Russian athletes should present a claim to the Russian state.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
64,631 Posts
There was interview with Kiki Bertens? Where?

The "she wants financial compensation" story originated in a newspaper that reported based on sources in the NOCNSF (Dutch Olympics) and KNLTB (Dutch tennis feds). They are negotiating with Kiki but she's definitly going. She already has gained concessions she can bring her own crew to Tokyo and she is also permitted to participate in the opening ceremony (they banned her and others from being present in the last opening ceremony in Rio's Maracana stadium and ordered them to go to bed — Dutch team only allowed the stadium rally to consist of athletes who had a lot of extra free relaxing days before the start of their sporting activity)

Whether it was an interview or a press conference or whatever, the direct quotes are pretty telling. She 100% backtracked after the commotion her comments caused.

I would fully understand if Bertens decided to skip the Olympics, but this is outrageous. And I say that as someone who supports Bertens.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If there is a state sponsored doping program I can understand why they would ban the country while allowing clean athletes to compete under a neutral flag.
The way in which Meldonium (which wasn't banned initially) became pervasive among athletes (including swimmers) from that part of the world is suggestive.

However, it also feels like we are in a new "Red Scare" era where Russia is blamed for everything from Americans electing Trump to Brits wanting out of the EU.
So part of me questions whether the harshness and duration of the punishment truly fits the crime or is related to the increasing promotion of Russia as a pariah.

I would hope that the ban is truly concerned with the integrity of sport and not part of a political theater.
Based on what I've been reading, it would appear that there were some serious and unrepentant violations so I'm willing to defer to WADA's evaluation of the matter.

121 - 123 of 123 Posts