Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if upheld, does it change anything for tennis at Tokyo? Is it an opening for another country, or will the Russians all play, just under a neutral flag?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
if upheld, does it change anything for tennis at Tokyo? Is it an opening for another country, or will the Russians all play, just under a neutral flag?
And if the latter, will there then be more than 4 'Russians' allow to play if they are not representing that country?

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
That's harsh and definitely politically motivated. Anywayz... I guess that means Sharapova is definitely not competing at the Olympics. She, and any self-respecting Russian, will not compete under any flag but Russia. Oh well.

It's going to be really weird to see a gymnastics competition without the beauty and artistry of the Russians. Gonna be an ugly Olympics.

·
Registered
82,864 Posts
This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Russia doesn't have any contenders in the women's anyway but I think most of the tennis players will be allowed to compete if they've never had a doping violation anyway because they probably get enough international tests done while on tour.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I could see Medvedev and Khachanov competing under a neutral flag...Aliya Mustafina and Sharapova? Hell no.

·
Registered
82,864 Posts
I could see Medvedev and Khachanov competing under a neutral flag...Aliya Mustafina and Sharapova? Hell no.
Sharapova anyway has withdrawn from Olympics..

·
Registered
82,864 Posts

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
Sharapova wasn't going to qualify for the Olympics anyway lol.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Sharapova wouldn't get approval to compete under neutral flag with a past doping violation anyway.
Not true. If you read the official statement that's not what it implies. Since 2018 the slate was clean and they gave Russia the chance to produce test and lab results. Sharapova obviously has not committed a dirty test since that single one in January of 2016.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I don't know how this will effect competing national teams with governing bodies like gymnastics but athletes will be able to compete under a neutral flag.

Was gonna say athletics as an individual sport as an example but I think this is where it all began.

·
Registered
82,864 Posts
I don't know how this will effect competing national teams with governing bodies like gymnastics but athletes will be able to compete under a neutral flag.

Was gonna say athletics as an individual sport as an example but I think this is where it all began.
It is horrible. Every athlet is a individual person. You have to prove every single person. Everything else not acceptable.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts