Tennis Forum banner

561 - 580 of 593 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Okay, let's go with your narrative that Sharapova specifically concealed Mildronate from ITF for 10 years.
She still got tested regularly for 10 years, so ITF and WADA would've known either way. It was legal, so she was not at fault anyway.

·
Registered
31,043 Posts
Okay, let's go with your narrative that Sharapova specifically concealed Mildronate from ITF for 10 years.
She still got tested regularly for 10 years, so ITF and WADA would've known either way. It was legal, so she was not at fault anyway.
"Your narrative" is called facts. And no they did not know she was taking meldonium because SHE DID NOT DECLARE IT. They test for banned substances; having a urine sample does not just magically show them everything she's ever consumed. Stop trying to change reality and go read the court decision.

·
Registered
46 Posts
"Your narrative" is called facts. And no they did not know she was taking meldonium because SHE DID NOT DECLARE IT. They test for banned substances; having a urine sample does not just magically show them everything she's ever consumed. Stop trying to change reality and go read the court decision.
Oh, but they knew. Meldonium was added to WADA's watch list in 2015.

·
Registered
31,043 Posts
Yet she STILL did not declare it on her forms, even though she was declaring substances as benign as vitamin c. Strange and totally unintentional coincidence I suppose.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If a substance is not banned, is it your fault because you tried to improve your performance unconventionally? It is still doping, cheating.

·
Registered
880 Posts
After reading thhrough this thread I am 1st: intigued to make a poll who had the best silent ban, 2nd: who is your fav doper, 3rd: improve my english skills to engage in this debate. seems lkke every nuance counts, 4th: improve my knowledge of biochemistry.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
After reading thhrough this thread I am 1st: intigued to make a poll who had the best silent ban, 2nd: who is your fav doper, 3rd: improve my english skills to engage in this debate. seems lkke every nuance counts, 4th: improve my knowledge of biochemistry.
1. Please don't, or this thread will never go away.

2. Abigail Spears. Unlike Sharapova, she admitted what she had done, and her case is somewhat different.

Here's the press release about her case...

...and here's the full decision by the ITF Tribunal...

3. Sorry, but there is stuff that is weird enough for me, as an English grammar pedant, to wonder if some people posting here actually read anything other than comics.

4. That's laudable, but it's all laid out in the decisions of the ITF Tribunal and the CAS, in terms simple enough for a lay person to understand.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Kindly enlighten me, exactly what did Sharapova not admit again?
How many more times do we have to go round the mulberry bush?

Yet she STILL did not declare it on her forms, even though she was declaring substances as benign as vitamin c. Strange and totally unintentional coincidence I suppose.
Here's the ACTUAL wording from the Doping Control form, regarding what needs to be noted:

'any prescription/non-prescription medications or supplements, including vitamins and minerals, taken over the past 7 days'.

Is that clear enough for you? That form needs to be completed when a doping control test is performed. It's the last item on the list before the urine samples are sent away. There's some extremely important information regarding this process on the USADA website.

...Frequently, where the athlete has declared a supplement or medication which later turns out to be the source of the positive test, the athlete’s declaration is considered powerful evidence of the athlete’s intent to comply with the rules and leads to a finding that the athlete has not intended to cheat.

On the other hand, when an athlete fails to disclose a substance on their doping control form and tests positive, the failure to disclose can cast doubt on the athlete’s efforts to demonstrate that they were seeking to comply with the rules and this many result in a longer period of ineligibility.

How about you read the Tribunal and CAS decisions, as I advised at the start of this discussion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes, I knew all of those above and the CAS decision.

2. Abigail Spears. Unlike Sharapova, she admitted what she had done, and her case is somewhat different.
My reply was to respond on your words that Sharapova didn't admit what she had done. She has admitted since the beginning everything we came to know. I just don't get what made you say Spears and Sharapova cases to be somewhat different? Did Spears reveal in her doping control forms that she took those substances?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sharapova herself did not admit to anything, the presence of meldonium in her body revealed an analysis of the samples. After which she began to lie, saying that she did not know, did not read, did not find ..... It is not clear why CAS believed her lies, changed ITF’s decision and recognized her use of meldonium by mistake. Because has rich sponsors ?!
Sharapova said that she did not read WADA Prohibited List, but it can not be grounds for believing that she took meldonium by mistake. She must read it, it is her duty and responsibility.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sharapova said that she did not read WADA Prohibited List, but it can not be grounds for believing that she took meldonium by mistake. She must read it, it is her duty and responsibility.
She never said that she took it by mistake........she openly said she took for 10 years of her career legally based on doctor's prescription which was approved by WADA-accredited lab.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yes, I knew all of those above and the CAS decision.
Then why are you unable to comprehend what is written in them?

My reply was to respond on your words that Sharapova didn't admit what she had done. She has admitted since the beginning everything we came to know.
That is absolute crap. She NEVER admitted using Mildronate - not once in ten years!

I just don't get what made you say Spears and Sharapova cases to be somewhat different? Did Spears reveal in her doping control forms that she took those substances?
Yes, she did.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
She never said that she took it by mistake........she openly said she took for 10 years of her career legally based on doctor's prescription which was approved by WADA-accredited lab.
She never once declared to the relevant authorities that she was taking Mildronate - not once! This was ONLY revealed when her Australian Open doping test came back positive, followed by her positive test in Moscow.

She did NOT have "approval from the lab" - she was simply told that the three substances prescribed by Dr Skalny were safe to take. That is nothing like "approval for 10 years." And, even if I agreed for the sake of argument that it was, it does NOT mean that she should then fail to declare those substances in doping control forms. If they were so innocuous, where is the harm in declaring them?

What I think is possibly the most interesting part of the debate is that the person who developed Mildronate openly promoted it as a performance-enhancing drug!

Why can you be so level-headed in your posts on other threads and so utterly blind in this one? Are YOU actually Maria Sharapova herself?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sports drinks like lucozade are promoted as performance enhancing. Does this mean glucose should be added to WADAs little list? :unsure:
From now on players are not allowed to add sugar to their tea or coffee. Oh, no, just wait a moment - caffeine is a stimulant, isn't it? 🤓 They'll have to stick to water and milk. 😇

·
Registered
234 Posts
I talked about the period when meldonium was banned.

By the way, Russia used meldonium for its soldiers in Afghanistan in order to increase their endurance.

561 - 580 of 593 Posts