Tennis Forum banner
1341 - 1360 of 1578 Posts

· Registered
8,383 Posts
The cause of the accident was the USTA's failure to secure an area in process of being cleaned, which is simply just dumb and negligent. Lock the door or put up a 'Wet Floor' warning cone thingy. That's what it boils down to. Bouchard was familiar with the premises, had a valid reason for being there, and no reason/warning to suspect the floor would be covered in slippery goo.
the light was off and she didn't think to turn it on? who voluntarily walks in the dark? the only good thing about it is they put her mediocore behind on a pedestal and now it bites them in the behind. they fed her sense of entitlement.

· Registered
6,755 Posts
the light was off and she didn't think to turn it on? who voluntarily walks in the dark? the only good thing about it is they put her mediocore behind on a pedestal and now it bites them in the behind. they fed her sense of entitlement.
In her testimony, she said she slipped before she could turn on the light. Slippery cleaning products aren't always visible, anyway. That's why there are usually warning signs.

It's quite obviously a catalogue of negligence from the USTA staff and also the WTA trainers, from the evidence so far. Everyone just assumed Bouchard had gone home despite the fact that her bags were still in the locker room, and no one even bothered to check the press rooms.

· Registered
1,531 Posts
I'm not sure how turning a light on would have helped, unless there was a big 'wet floor' sign in the middle of the room.

· Registered
32,888 Posts
Not mad at her for winning her case, but I am pissed she blamed the fall for her CAREER DOWNFALL......That shit was happening LOOOOONG BEFORE that fall. #LIAR
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP and I rarely use all caps. What if Stephens career ended in 2015 or 16? Oh her downfall started already. Her career was over. 2013 was just a fluke.

Between winning the French Open at age 23 and Wimbledon 15 months later

Muguruza lost R2, R2, QF, 4R at the majors. She didn´t reach a single WTA final.
Bouchard had a QF, 1R, 1R and 4R forced withdrawal.

I guess, if Muguruza had slipped after her 2nd round match at the Wimbledon she eventually won, her career was also over and figured out. :rolleyes:

· Registered
55 Posts
Bouchard had decent results in 2015... except for the part of the year she was working with Sumyk. :p

Kidding aside, she did actually make the AO QF and USO R4 that year. That's still better than anything she has achieved since the accident. She would not be ranked outside the Top 100 now if she could replicate the 2015 results. Of course her lawyer is going to shoot for the moon and claim she'd possibly still be a Top 5 player, that's what lawyers are supposed to, but the post-accident downfall is not without merit.
I don't believe for a second that her shoddy results and rankings drop is down to her banging her head. But she's been 'clever' enough to identify something she can blame and get some money out of it.
Maybe she knows her time as a top player is over and is using this to set her up for life. She'll never be without money while she's up for modelling swimsuits etc, but she's pretty unlikely to get this kind of payday again playing tennis.

· Registered
8,792 Posts
Not mad at her for winning her case, but I am pissed she blamed the fall for her CAREER DOWNFALL......That shit was happening LOOOOONG BEFORE that fall. #LIAR
Who is to say that it (concussion) did not contribute to her further regression. As a fan i think she is a completely different person as a competitor after that.

· Registered
19,328 Posts
LMAO

all the pundits and talking heads were expecting a USTA win -- we were told Genie's lawyer was not that good... etc etc. Ben was in the courtroom and even he was clueless and hinted of a "US victory" against Canada (as in the ongoing Olympics).

It turned out it was a blowout win for team Genie. Courtroom equivalent of a double bagel.

· Registered
3,019 Posts
Who is to say that it (concussion) did not contribute to her further regression.
Well her game style didn't change after the concussion. She was loosing playing that game long before.
Are you saying that it's the concussion that is blocking her from learning and improving/changing her technique?

As a fan i think she is a completely different person as a competitor after that.
Yes, she started to care less and less about tennis and even more about her image. I guess she was already dreaming of the payoff and considered -- why bother.

· Premium Member
26,379 Posts
LMAO

all the pundits and talking heads were expecting a USTA win -- we were told Genie's lawyer was not that good... etc etc. Ben was in the courtroom and even he was clueless and hinted of a "US victory" against Canada (as in the ongoing Olympics).

It turned out it was a blowout win for team Genie. Courtroom equivalent of a double bagel.
This was before the trial, at the end he said all the reporters in the room excepts a Bouchard's victory.

· Registered
203 Posts
USTA ara absolute idiots to not settle. Could have saved lots of money.

According to Tennis.life Bouchard's team was asking for $50 million. I'm thinking the USTA lawyers knew what the outcome could be and considered they could pay significantly less if they let a jury decide. I don't know the law all that well but if they let a jury decide instead of settle I believe they could then appeal if they think the amount is too high. No change is guaranteed of course but when it comes to lawyers and rich businesses it's never cut and dry there's always an element of petty, saving face and/or absorbing the blow.

From Tennis.Life:
We’re told that the original figure from Morelli was around $50 million US. That was before the part of the claim involving punitive damages was removed last fall, so the number will come down significantly.
Still, that high number as a starting point likely didn’t help the two sides come to settlement terms.
But it doesn’t much matter what Morelli will ask. What matters is what the jury decides Bouchard deserves.

· Registered
35,854 Posts
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP and I rarely use all caps. What if Stephens career ended in 2015 or 16? Oh her downfall started already. Her career was over. 2013 was just a fluke.

Between winning the French Open at age 23 and Wimbledon 15 months later

Muguruza lost R2, R2, QF, 4R at the majors. She didn´t reach a single WTA final.
Bouchard had a QF, 1R, 1R and 4R forced withdrawal.

I guess, if Muguruza had slipped after her 2nd round match at the Wimbledon she eventually won, her career was also over and figured out. :rolleyes:
You're conflating. Bouchard's career continued after she recovered from her concussion so there is no "career ended." The question is:
would her career have been much better if she'd not been out for 6 months?.

Based on other players who have been out with serious injuries including concussion the answer IMO is most likely not.

1341 - 1360 of 1578 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.