Tennis Forum banner

1221 - 1240 of 1578 Posts

·
Registered
14,912 Posts
The USTA also plans to introduce as evidence various social media postings published by Bouchard...
I don't get this part.

Evidence of what exactly? Article doesn't indicate at all.

A telling omission -- it indicates they aren't directly relevant to the material of the case.

Which means they are submitted for the general purpose of manipulation of jury sympathy by going after her character via her postings (since they could only be interpreted as one thing: that she is a...[insert Robson gif] :eek:h:

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,491 Posts
I don't get this part.

A telling omission -- it indicates they aren't directly relevant to the material of the case.

Which means they are submitted for the general purpose of manipulation of jury sympathy by going after her character via her postings (since they could only be interpreted as one thing: that she is a...[insert Robson gif] :eek:h:
Evidence of being active physically within days of suffering the injury? Hence she didn't really suffer any lawsuit-warranting injuries at all.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Evidence of being active physically within days of suffering the injury? Hence she didn't really suffer any lawsuit-warranting injuries at all.
Probably, but I'm not sure that's fair, being active in day to day life is not the same as competing at a professional level. Unless they have pictures of her skydiving or white water rafting, of course, that may make things difficult for her.

·
Rise up from ignorance
17,491 Posts
Probably, but I'm not sure that's fair, being active in day to day life is not the same as competing at a professional level. Unless they have pictures of her skydiving or white water rafting, of course, that may make things difficult for her.
I'm pretty sure USTA will hire some big shot lawyers who won't have second thoughts about dragging Bouchard thru the dirt if neccessary or indeed possible. These big money lawsuits usually don't have anything to do with the word "fair". It's basically dirty laundy cleaning :p

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'm pretty sure USTA will hire some big shot lawyers who won't have second thoughts about dragging Bouchard thru the dirt if neccessary or indeed possible. These big money lawsuits usually don't have anything to do with the word "fair". It's basically dirty laundy cleaning :p
Very true, I don't think she stands a chance, to be honest, and dragging out her social media shows how far the USTA will go to defend themselves. I'm not sure that I buy into Genie's case, but I do feel sorry for her accident, I don't like the woman but I can at least say that.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Very true, I don't think she stands a chance, to be honest, and dragging out her social media shows how far the USTA will go to defend themselves. I'm not sure that I buy into Genie's case, but I do feel sorry for her accident, I don't like the woman but I can at least say that.
Americans, or in this case, should I say "North Americans" can be ludicrously litigious. I was pretty surprised that she filed this lawsuit and any means by which the USTA can defend themselves is fair as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty certain the overwhelming majority of players on tour wouldn't be suing for this and while I'm sure many disagree, I personally find it rather uncharitable for her to be doing this. I remember when David Goffin was playing the best tennis of his career in the clay season, then got his feet caught in a pretty dangerously positioned tarp around the court and missed a good chunk of the season during which he probably lost over a million dollars in realistic potential earnings at Roland Garros, the grass season, including Wimbledon, and lead-up tournaments to the US Open. If he were Bouchard, he might as well have sued the French federation.

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
Americans, or in this case, should I say "North Americans" can be ludicrously litigious. I was pretty surprised that she filed this lawsuit and any means by which the USTA can defend themselves is fair as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty certain the overwhelming majority of players on tour wouldn't be suing for this and while I'm sure many disagree, I personally find it rather uncharitable for her to be doing this. I remember when David Goffin was playing the best tennis of his career in the clay season, then got his feet caught in a pretty dangerously positioned tarp around the court and missed a good chunk of the season during which he probably lost over a million dollars in realistic potential earnings at Roland Garros, the grass season, including Wimbledon, and lead-up tournaments to the US Open. If he were Bouchard, he might as well have sued the French federation.
No, it is only American(USA) that are litigious. Other players have sue for this kind of thing too (Davis for example)

·
Registered
14,363 Posts
I don't get this part.

Her lawyer claimed her quality of life was also affected.

·
Registered
8,565 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
I can tell you it would be hard for Genie to show negligence on the part of USTA in front of a jury who may not be sympathetic to her because she is a famous tennis player. They like to reward the truly needy folks. She ain't one of them.

·
Registered
30,927 Posts
At this point, both sides have spent more than 1 million.
I believe Bouchard's lawyers are on contingency which means they get a percentage if she wins or a an agreed-upon fee or maybe even nothing at all if they lose.

Isn't weird that Tennis Australia is giving MD WCs to Bouchard while their Fed Cup captain is set to testify "against" her? I wouldn't want to be involved in that in any shape or form ...

·
Registered
813 Posts
Poor judgement from Eugenie's camp to get involved in this drama. Vulture lawyers saw an opportunity, made a pitch and (probably even to their surprise) she agreed to go for it.

1221 - 1240 of 1578 Posts