Tennis Forum banner
1161 - 1180 of 1578 Posts

· Registered
17,232 Posts
the insults and threats are all heat in the moment. This was pre planned cold move. Thats what makes it worse. She went over her way to make a fellow player look bad and then had a smug look on her face and said I am not fake like others who wish other players good luck. She insulted all tennis players with that statement calling them fake and her being the only real one
LMAO are you serious? You're reaching and putting words into her mouth. She had no intention on insulting anyone. SHE felt it was a fake gesture because SHE didn't feel like it was right to wish someone else to beat her. She never called others fake or insulted tennis nor tried to make another player look bad. She only stick to what she felt was right for her....clearly she made a wrong move but it's her right to stay true to what she feels is right. She didn't do it maliciously like you're implying. Haters sure like to clench to that incident and blow it out of proportion. It's sad that it's your sole argument against her.

On the other hand, when a player is insulting someone or threatening them, it may be in the heat of the moment but it doesn't make it right. When a player hit someone with a ball or their racquet when they threw it in "the heat of the moment" they are still rightfully punish for it. Or will you say that hitting a lineperson with your racquet is ok cuz you were into your match and didn't mean it? If you punch someone in the heat of the moment and he dies, will you say it was okay too?
Also, will you tell me that grunting on random points, or calling unusual MTO or using any other tactic to bother your opponent is not a "pre-planned cold move" ? lol

· Registered
17,232 Posts
:facepalm: There's nothing about shaking hands that equates to "wishing your "enemy" beats you." That you see a sporting opponent as an "enemy" only adds to the weirdness of that characterization.
Hey don't blame me for what she thinks it meant...I agree it was a stupid move and a stupid reason lol but it wasn't as bad as many people are trying to make it out to be..just look at Mario's post "a pre-planned cold move" meant to insult players and the whole tennis community....talk about desperation.

· Registered
17,232 Posts
Why is all this handshake drama being discussed instead of the actual issue? :shrug:

This is about a player who was put in an unsafe situation due to the unfortunate negligence of the USTA. Imagine if it was your fave instead of Bouchard, you would obviously side with them instead of defending the giant organization that left a dark, slippery death trap in wait for the unsuspecting player who happened to finish their match late at night and wanted an ice bath.
because haters are desperate to make her villain no matter what

Reactions: victean

· Registered
17,232 Posts
:lol: That depends on who ends up on the jury. As should be obvious given that many people here, self included, see Bouchard as at least partly responsible for her own mishap.
Other than being a subset of people who like women's tennis, it's no more or less a random sample than any poll.
cuz you know all the details of the accident and would fairly judge it? nah I don't think so.....

· Registered
3,019 Posts
cuz you know all the details of the accident and would fairly judge it? nah I don't think so.....
Actually he/we know them. Just that in court will be heard in greased lawyer talk, infuzed with legal jargon, to make this from an accident where both parties are at fault look like:
- millions of dollars of negligence
And
- player wondering were they shouldn't is none of our business.

· Registered
17,232 Posts
Actually he/we know them. Just that in court will be heard in greased lawyer talk, infuzed with legal jargon, to make this from an accident where both parties are at fault look like:
- millions of dollars of negligence
And
- player wondering were they shouldn't is none of our business.
oh yes we know the court would have to decide whether it was negligence from the USTA or negligence from Genie. However we don't know the details which would help us determine who's at fault. Like were there a sign? What are the rules? Was she informed? etc.... the fact that the USTA accepted the negotiation process is a huge indicator of who's at fault tho...

· Registered
16,152 Posts
LMAO are you serious? You're reaching and putting words into her mouth. She had no intention on insulting anyone. SHE felt it was a fake gesture because SHE didn't feel like it was right to wish someone else to beat her. She never called others fake or insulted tennis nor tried to make another player look bad. She only stick to what she felt was right for her....clearly she made a wrong move but it's her right to stay true to what she feels is right. She didn't do it maliciously like you're implying. Haters sure like to clench to that incident and blow it out of proportion. It's sad that it's your sole argument against her.

On the other hand, when a player is insulting someone or threatening them, it may be in the heat of the moment but it doesn't make it right. When a player hit someone with a ball or their racquet when they threw it in "the heat of the moment" they are still rightfully punish for it. Or will you say that hitting a lineperson with your racquet is ok cuz you were into your match and didn't mean it? If you punch someone in the heat of the moment and he dies, will you say it was okay too?
Also, will you tell me that grunting on random points, or calling unusual MTO or using any other tactic to bother your opponent is not a "pre-planned cold move" ? lol
Some offering you a hand shake and you let them hang there is an insult. Anyone who has offered someone a handshake and the other person refused them took it as an insult. Also if I say doing certain action makes a person a fake person and you do them. Logic says yeah I see you as a fake person for doing something fake. She says shaking someones hand before a match means you are wishing them good luck when you dont mean it and it makes you fake.

· Registered
17,232 Posts
Some offering you a hand shake and you let them hang there is an insult. Anyone who has offered someone a handshake and the other person refused them took it as an insult. Also if I say doing certain action makes a person a fake person and you do them. Logic says yeah I see you as a fake person for doing something fake. She says shaking someones hand before a match means you are wishing them good luck when you dont mean it and it makes you fake.
The point is she didn't insult anyone directly and was only talking about herself...SHE would feel fake if she would shake hands before the match cuz SHE doesn't mean it.

It's your interpretation that she was calling every players who shake hands fake...perhaps she believes other players really mean to wish good luck to their opponents, you don't know. Therefore them shaking hands wouldn't be "fake". She never said "players are fake to shake hands before match".

I'll give you the "insult" to the 2 players she refused to shake hands with if you want lol. However, that was not her intention as mentioned. Her intention being staying true to her beliefs, which you seem to have agreed on. That being said, it doesn't make it any worse than the name calling players use on court sometimes, or the threats, or the arguments or the manipulations some repeatedly do. I'll remind you that your only argument against Genie happened only 2 times, while the other players insult, argue, manipulate, etc... regularly. lol

· Registered
8,005 Posts
What happened with this?
As of late summer 2016, the USTA indicated they wanted to settle, but they did not come to terms.

By late fall there was another update:

'The Bouchard side has requested an extension of several Nov. 30 deadlines for discovery – notably because they are having trouble getting a US Open locker-room attendant on duty the night of the incident that ended with Bouchard suffering a concussion to come in and give her deposition voluntarily......

See Steph Myles article for the complete roundup.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/as-another-coaching-search-begins-eugenie-bouchard-faces-a-challenging-2017-223431757.html

· Trainwreck
60,124 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
I can't... That she is even suing them at all is just so silly. It's so pointless. She should be so lucky they want to settle.

Homegirl slipped, it could happen to anyone. We don't even KNOW if they ground was actually wet or if she, just like anyone, just SLIPPED.

I think everyone has said a lot that she has a lot of growing up to do but I actually just think this is her personality.

1161 - 1180 of 1578 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.