Tennis Forum banner
361 - 380 of 1578 Posts

· Registered
9,136 Posts
Did you watch those matches with someone pointing a gun on you and telling you to watch ? Or just switching the channel/turning it off is above your intellectual capacity ?
Yes,momma Stacey kidnapped me and put me in basement with screens all over the wall and floor(gun included too) ,duh :wink2: Thanks for asking,santa troll :) Stop being too sensitive,man/woman(whatever you are).

· Registered
12,257 Posts
It's definitely your cynicism. You don't need to sympathize with Genie, but you should at least be able to appreciate that people - rich or otherwise - have a projected amount of earnings they're expected to accrue over their lifetime. If it is impacted by someone else's negligence, they are well within their rights to try and recoup.

Just because someone has money doesn't mean they should shrug their shoulders and suck it up. If you've earned $5 million but are on track (even if her slump continued) to make, lets say, another $10 million over your career - and you can't now, if this injury is serious and forces you to take a long time off - why should you not be able to take the party (allegedly) accountable to court and be compensated?
I do have some sympathy with her, I think my problem is the somewhat 'wishy washy' nature of 'projected earnings'. If she does have to take a lengthy time off maybe they should not give her some theoretical sum of earnings she would have acquired but give her whatever the Canadian/US equivalent is of incapacity benefits for that period of time :p It's all personal too - if I were in that situation I would go about things in a different manner, but that's all down to the individual.

Right, she could be in a coma right now or have passed away from head trauma, and only then should we really feel bad. Instead, she is a professional tennis player who has been made unable to do her job. I would say her quality of life has suffered.

And qualifying your empathy towards others with a financial formula gives your heart a bad look.
Oh I'm not saying that this isn't something serious, of course it is. It should have been something preventable but unfortunately these things happen and it should be established how it came to be and the situation rectified so future events don't happen.

Regarding quality of life, it may have suffered but I think her current level of suffering is a hell of a lot less than what many millions of people the world over have to endure day in, day out.

· Registered
12,472 Posts
Some common sense, please.

These girls (like everyone else) are literally glued to their cellphones and cary them everywhere. Every phone also works as a flashlight... it's the 21st century, and people in here act like an unlit room is a complicated obstacle nobody can't be expected to handle :rolleyes:
No. Speak for yourself.
And you don't know if Genie had a phone back then... No one knows...

· Registered
11,628 Posts
This "lawsuit-culture" in the US is just baffling. A country that on one hand values personal responsibility to extreme ends (everybody is allowed to have guns, is allowed to not be health-insured etc.) yet when misfortune befalls you the first reaction is to sue the crap out of someone.
Educate yourself, please.

Litigious culture or not, there are completely reasonable grounds for a lawsuit in this case.

Some common sense, please.

These girls (like everyone else) are literally glued to their cellphones and cary them everywhere. Every phone also works as a flashlight... it's the 21st century, and people in here act like an unlit room is a complicated obstacle nobody can't be expected to handle :rolleyes:
Don't be ridiculous. The onus of workplace safety always falls on the employer, in this case the USTA in their facility. She shouldn't have to use her cell phone light or struggle to find the light switch in an unlit and unsafe room in the first place.

· Registered
18,419 Posts
Well, she has more money than you'll ever have, so thats not the issue...

Still don't know where the idea of that stupid lawsuit came from, did she read TF's trolls suggestions, or what ? :facepalm:
Of course having more money than me isn't the issue. The issue is she's not getting money from her tennis until she learns how to play again :spit:

· Registered
25,326 Posts
Oh I'm not saying that this isn't something serious, of course it is. It should have been something preventable but unfortunately these things happen and it should be established how it came to be and the situation rectified so future events don't happen.

Regarding quality of life, it may have suffered but I think her current level of suffering is a hell of a lot less than what many millions of people the world over have to endure day in, day out.
Well that doesn't matter in a court room :secret:

· Registered
19,328 Posts
Get dat doe, sue their asses.

I really hate it when any kind of venue or facility where employees are quick to go home (they clean shit and turn out the lights before double-checking whether there are "customers" left on the premises) and get the fuck out of the place exactly at whatever hour and minute they are scheduled to work that day.

I was once in a mall - came ouf of the bathroom of a huge restaurant to face sudden darkness - all the half a dozen employees had in a matter 3 or 4 minutes turned out all the lights and SHUTTERED shit (locking me up) and rushed home. Thankfully I found an inside way to open the shutter despite the darkness - sparing me the choice to either call the cops or commit a crime (smash a glass panel and trigger alarm).

· Registered
27,163 Posts
Don't be ridiculous. The onus of workplace safety always falls on the employer, in this case the USTA in their facility. She shouldn't have to use her cell phone light or struggle to find the light switch in an unlit and unsafe room in the first place.
"Unsafe room" makes it sound like they had a nuclear reactor in there...:lol:

Seriously. Was it negligence? Possibly. But that's not the problem, the problem are the absurd amount of damages that are possible to be claimed in US lawsuits.

A similar lawsuit in another country would probably only entitle her to have her medical expenses paid etc. but not "millions & millions of dollars..". It just gives shady people way too much incentive to abuse this system.

· Registered
11,856 Posts
I don't want to laugh at this as she did suffer a serious accident that could affect her for a long time and even call time on her career, but this I did find hilariously an accidental funny remark, surely the USTA defence will simply show her tour record prior to the US Open to counter this.
That's not a legitimate defense though, as form is temporary.

· Registered
25,326 Posts
"Unsafe room" makes it sound like they had a nuclear reactor in there...:lol:

Seriously. Was it negligence? Possibly. But that's not the problem, the problem are the absurd amount of damages that are possible to be claimed in US lawsuits.

A similar lawsuit in another country would probably only entitle her to have her medical expenses paid etc. but not "millions & millions of dollars..". It just gives shady people way too much incentive to abuse this system.
It isn't abuse when she is legitimately losing thousands of dollars of income, the WTA bonus pool, appearance fees, sponsorship events, income for her team even, etc.

· Registered
11,856 Posts
And (lack of) class is permanent :devil:
Legally speaking you cannot argue 'form' or 'class'. You can only look at history as a whole, and standings at the time of the accident. As much as some hate Genie, she does have a very legitimate legal case. And if I were working for a company that was negligent and caused me a functional disability or impairment which stopped me from earning an income, I would also sue them if I could sue them. No one has the right to allow negligence on their part, to affect another human being in a way that they can no longer work and earn a living.

· Registered
12,472 Posts
Yes,momma Stacey kidnapped me and put me in basement with screens all over the wall and floor(gun included too) ,duh :wink2: Thanks for asking,santa troll :) Stop being too sensitive,man/woman(whatever you are).
Dude, you claimed that "your eyes are not well" for watching Genie's matches, and you want your money back, so Im asking did anyone force you to watch it, or you're just too stupid to turn it off ?

· SharaFamily
23,936 Posts
I guess she run and fall
1st if you are in the dark room, what will you do?
For me, If i don't have a phone, I will SLOWLY walk and take my hand in the wall to find the direction. And if I fall with that SLOWLY walk I don't think I will be that SERIOUS injury.
As i said before, Tell me another player fall in that room

· Registered
11,856 Posts
I guess she run and fall
For me, If i don't have a phone, I will SLOWLY walk and take my hand in the wall to find the direction. And if I fall with that SLOWLY walk I don't think I will be that SERIOUS injury.
You have good questions there, but that is for the USTA to prove and the judges / jury to pass judgement on after hearing all the evidence. What we say in here is just speculation any way, as we have no facts, only questions.

· Registered
12,257 Posts
Legally speaking you cannot argue 'form' or 'class'. You can only look at history as a whole, and standings at the time of the accident. As much as some hate Genie, she does have a very legitimate legal case. And if I were working for a company that was negligent and caused me a functional disability or impairment which stopped me from earning an income, I would also sue them if I could sue them. No one has the right to allow negligence on their part, to affect another human being in a way that they can no longer work and earn a living.
It was a quick joke ;)

Similarly to: if a tree falls in the wood and nobody's around, does it make a sound?
If Genie falls in the locker room and nobody's around, does she have a legal case? :p

· Registered
8,792 Posts
The most likely thing that happened here is that USTA figured Genie would fear to go forward with the lawsuit because of their huge influence. US series is big part of the season. If i am right then it was extremely cocky/crappy thing to do and hope for.

Other thing i have gathered from this debate is that you have no rights in Germany.

· Registered
3,157 Posts
I guess she run and fall
how do you guess? picking up your nose?
Genie should sue them to bankruptcy.

· 👑 не дум&#10
45,633 Posts
I learned that europe is full of communists :(

The most likely thing that happened here is that USTA figured Genie would fear to go forward with the lawsuit because of their huge influence. US series is big part of the season. If i am right then it was extremely cocky/crappy thing to do and hope for.

Other thing i have gathered from this debate is that you have no rights in Germany.

361 - 380 of 1578 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.