Tennis Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
Get dat doe, sue their asses.

I really hate it when any kind of venue or facility where employees are quick to go home (they clean shit and turn out the lights before double-checking whether there are "customers" left on the premises) and get the fuck out of the place exactly at whatever hour and minute they are scheduled to work that day.

I was once in a mall - came ouf of the bathroom of a huge restaurant to face sudden darkness - all the half a dozen employees had in a matter 3 or 4 minutes turned out all the lights and SHUTTERED shit (locking me up) and rushed home. Thankfully I found an inside way to open the shutter despite the darkness - sparing me the choice to either call the cops or commit a crime (smash a glass panel and trigger alarm).

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
Some common sense, please.

These girls (like everyone else) are literally glued to their cellphones and cary them everywhere. Every phone also works as a flashlight... it's the 21st century, and people in here act like an unlit room is a complicated obstacle nobody can't be expected to handle :rolleyes:
Jimmy, yer lawyering in the air too much: first you insist she must be insured for such things and therefore not needing a lawsuit (forgetting that insurers might actually induce their clients to sue) now you practically assume she must have had a fully charged cellphone with her while halfnaked and tiptoeing around a bathroom.

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
Every normal people that slips on s slippery surface falls on his ass every people
How should someone fall on his head when splippering
LOL, another logic-starved TF "expert" is in this thread. If brains were dynamite, you wouldn't have enough to blow your nose.

How can you know whether someone will never hit his/her head when they slip? There are a thousand ways of falling down. This is not a zero sum game - even if she lands on her ass she could ALSO end up banging her head on the floor or on something else. Human beings are not cats - we don't have an innate righting-reflex that guarantees us a particular way of landing

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
Hey Genie, don't be surprised if you get blacklisted at all tournaments.
You wish.

The joy of being an athlete (as opposed to being an actor or other kind of entertainer) is that event hosts are obliged to invite you and let you perform and treat you fairly. They can't opt out of that.

In other words no chance in hell of a blacklist (cuz otherwise there will be another lawsuit and Genie would win an amount that would make the USO settlement look like peanuts :lol:

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
Unfavorable practice court allocations. Parking lot court for matches. No wildcards if she needs them (with her iffy form, she might in the future)...
Yea and they will not invite her for charity/photo-op occasions and give her the smallest cut portion of cake in the canteen and remove the mug and whatever other item with her name on it out of the gift shop... etc etc.

Those are extras - exclusive perks that are already not available to most of the players.

In other words Bouchard will will be treated like (o horror!) a non-special ordinary tennis player.

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
The USTA also plans to introduce as evidence various social media postings published by Bouchard...
I don't get this part.

Evidence of what exactly? Article doesn't indicate at all.

A telling omission -- it indicates they aren't directly relevant to the material of the case.

Which means they are submitted for the general purpose of manipulation of jury sympathy by going after her character via her postings (since they could only be interpreted as one thing: that she is a...[insert Robson gif] :oh:

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
LMAO

all the pundits and talking heads were expecting a USTA win -- we were told Genie's lawyer was not that good... etc etc. Ben was in the courtroom and even he was clueless and hinted of a "US victory" against Canada (as in the ongoing Olympics).

It turned out it was a blowout win for team Genie. Courtroom equivalent of a double bagel.

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
You don't usually reveal any conversation between the jury. She settled and they can't really appeal but how hard is it not to tweet that? She's getting killed on Twitter over this.

She sure knows how to get people talking but it's rarely for the right reasons.
Genie's tweet indicates it happened as the person was leaving the jury box. So this "conversation" was officially no longer part of the case.

I'm more surprised by the so called neutral jury member's rush and audacity (remembering her B-Day AND yelling it in a courtroom as soon as he or she was allowed to get away with it.

This is practically Saint2 level stanning.

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
Low endorsements == low claim value for damages. Importantly, Bouchard's legal teeam would have to PROVE her alleged concussion caused loss of endorsements - that means exposing ALL her endorsement deals over the last 5 years. The USTA took this to court because they knew that her sponsors would never allow her to disclose details of their contracts. When the judge allowed details on social media and contracts, Bouchard's legal team, along with USTA legal team, knew Bouchard was forced to settle with very reduced settlement - probably less than $10M and her portion was probably less than $5M.

Bouchard 'talent' and 'marketability' is smoke in mirrors. Her marketability a few levels higher than an webcam model, who, like Bouchard, main audience is a bunch of h*rny guys between 18 and 45.

Now that it's common knowledge she's litigious, let's see how many sponsors she can secure. :wavey:
Dude you have it completely backwards.

The USTA's argument was not that she was not rich but rather that she was too rich and still rich after the floor incident as before (i.e. that she didn't suffer financially due to the accident). Here's what the USTA lawyer literally said in the courtroom in either the opening or closing argument: “When you hear how much money Ms. Bouchard has made from endorsements, you’re not going to believe it, it’s staggering".

By the way that she is rich is not debatable. Forbes ranked Genie as the 9th or 10th in their latest (2017) top ten richest female athletes of the world list. We don't need a court room presentation of her literal contracts to know that she has a few coins in her purse. There is enough public information.

I mean I don't even like Genie but this rather new TF claim that Genie is some sort of secret destitute pretending to be rich is a rather comical wishful hater fantasy. Girl is the number one Canadian, a G7 country loaded with enough moolah to sustain 100 Genies if they care to desire.

·
Registered
18,009 Posts
Well, my response was entirely dependent on the amount of the settlement. If it is indeed close to the fair amount of a quarter million, or even $1 million, I have no problem with it. My concern was entirely with the lack of proportionality between the actual damages and the reported figures for the settlement ($10-15m by some, 30m by some others).

Without claiming that the USTA are saints, I'd prefer that they keep such big amounts of money rather than depositing them into any undeserving player's pocket. That way, they have at least a chance to do something good with the cash, like build a stadium or subsidize a small event or support some promising juniors or organize something for recreational players.

I think it would be negligent of tournament directors in the US not to adapt to this. Why offer services like ice baths and practice courts if they expose you to potential liability? It's easier to just try to get away with less services. And it would be negligent to not follow players around from now on. I don't think that anybody has argued that USTA had actually a policy of leaving dark death traps on purpose - it was an oversight, reasonable rules like signs/locking the door/doing the cleaning when players were not expected were probably on USTA's books but were not followed this time for whatever reasons. So I can't see a policy change to address this, because human error will always exist - what seems more practical is either restricting the service or chaperoning the athletes as much as possible. And even if USTA tries to address this issue specifically, it would have to add another layer of precautions, like extra guards for wet floors - which will impact the costs.

As for the rarity of the case, I believe that many such incidents probably have happened over the years (like players slipping in a shower which might have had slippery floor, or a misplaced piece of soap). As long as no serious damage is done, players do not pursue this further. This one made the news because Genie (or her advisors) saw an opportunity for some easy mega-bucks; I actually think that the USTA would have quietly settled the matter if Genie approached them in private with a reasonable demand (like QF or SF prize money as compensation).

Get real.

This is just basic error that requires 0 cent investment to correct. At ground level it's all the fault of USTA's locker room chief Karen Owens (who gave the cleaners the go ahead after assuming all players have exited without checking first (she said she heard a 'goodbye' or 'good evening' or 'goodnight' from some random. That according to her was enough of a sign that all players have gone home. That was the original small sin... with big consequences.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.