Tennis Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Very true, I don't think she stands a chance, to be honest, and dragging out her social media shows how far the USTA will go to defend themselves. I'm not sure that I buy into Genie's case, but I do feel sorry for her accident, I don't like the woman but I can at least say that.
Americans, or in this case, should I say "North Americans" can be ludicrously litigious. I was pretty surprised that she filed this lawsuit and any means by which the USTA can defend themselves is fair as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty certain the overwhelming majority of players on tour wouldn't be suing for this and while I'm sure many disagree, I personally find it rather uncharitable for her to be doing this. I remember when David Goffin was playing the best tennis of his career in the clay season, then got his feet caught in a pretty dangerously positioned tarp around the court and missed a good chunk of the season during which he probably lost over a million dollars in realistic potential earnings at Roland Garros, the grass season, including Wimbledon, and lead-up tournaments to the US Open. If he were Bouchard, he might as well have sued the French federation.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP and I rarely use all caps. What if Stephens career ended in 2015 or 16? Oh her downfall started already. Her career was over. 2013 was just a fluke.

Between winning the French Open at age 23 and Wimbledon 15 months later

Muguruza lost R2, R2, QF, 4R at the majors. She didn´t reach a single WTA final.
Bouchard had a QF, 1R, 1R and 4R forced withdrawal.

I guess, if Muguruza had slipped after her 2nd round match at the Wimbledon she eventually won, her career was also over and figured out. :rolleyes:
Trying to blame her career downfall on that slip is revisionist.

Bouchard had a few decent Hardcourt slam results that season, helped by her draws but had a hell of a horrible season. After a decent Australian Open, where she went out in straights to Sharapova, she went on a 6-match losing streak between Indian Wells and the Madrid, getting trounced by qualifiers like Barthel, Tsurenko and Tatjana Maria. She lost both her Fed Cup singles matches against Romania. She won just 1 match throughout the clay season against Diyas in Rome. She won just 1 match through the 4 grass tournaments, including getting battered in straights by qualifier Duan at Wimbledon. She won just 1 match in the 3 US Open tune-ups against Bondarenko: a tight match against a qualifier in 2 tie-breaks. Sure, she had a very surprising win against Cibulkova in 3 sets at the US Open, but considering Vinci's form in that tournament and the fact that just a week earlier, Vinci humiliated her 6-1 6-0 at New Haven, I didn't have a shred of doubt Vinci would have wiped the floor with her in that 4th round. It's all conjecture of course, but it's my opinion.

In some ways, it seems in her own mind she has actually convinced herself that the fall ruined her career.

Seems David Goffin missed a trick not suing the French federation last year when he tripped over the ridiculously positioned tarps at the side of the court and withdrew from the French Open and the grass season when he was playing the best tennis of his career. He didn't fully recover till the post-US Open season and probably realistically missed out on $1m to $2m in earning potential in that time.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
That is based on 6 months out with an injury that one fully recovers from. I suspect Eugenie's claim is that her concussion continues to affect her to this very day, hence her subpar results. At the end of the day that is a hard one to ascertain, but the only way to question it would involve questioning Bouchard's integrity and questioning someone's integrity is not the easiest thing to do. Certainly Bouchard's subpar results do support her claim that her concussion could still be bothering her.

Have to say it would be funny if once the USTA has paid their damages fee, Bouchard suddenly started playing much better. Off course she could then claim that now the pressure and stress of this trial is over she is now able to focus more on her tennis, a statement which again would be difficult to dispute.
Evident precedent from the time suggests not. To be honest, none of us can prove her to be dishonest about the effects it has on her, but I personally believe it to be BS on her part and cynical exploitation of a mistake.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
:spit: Like seriously, dude?! It doesn't matter... once it was established that the USTA was at fault... Bouchard was in her right to sue for lost income and damages.. if other players wouldn't have done that, then they're fools.

The settlement might perhaps be too high, but that's the how the US system works. Blame the system.
Not really. It's a matter of their culture and personal values. Generally, North Americans are highly litigious compared to other cultures.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts