Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quebec is gone for good.
this tournament actually had Sharapova and Davenport among its list of champions :surprise:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

hopefully a Chinese city bought the license :cool:

·
Registered
14,614 Posts
It was supposed to die three or four years ago. There was a thread just like this back then. It held on but the quality of the field continued to drop. Lucic Baroni beating Venus in 2014 was a great moment.

·
Registered
31,156 Posts
this tournament actually had Sharapova and Davenport among its list of champions :surprise:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

hopefully a Chinese city bought the license :cool:
Bronx bought Québec City because somewhere in China bought New Haven.

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
It was supposed to die three or four years ago. There was a thread just like this back then. It held on but the quality of the field continued to drop. Lucic Baroni beating Venus in 2014 was a great moment.
They had good crowds in 2013 (Bouchard) and 2014 (Venus) and again in 2016 for Bouchard's two matches but the attendance was otherwise disastrous. It used to be packed. :tears:

It's sad to see it go, though.

I will remember how Bartoli demolished Olga Poutchkova 6-0 6-0 in the final in 2006. The Russian then predicted that Marion would be a GS winner one day.

·
always getting what i want
17,835 Posts
Without Genie the tournament died. RIP.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Yeah, shame to see it go. It wasn't on TV in the UK (one of very few events not to be shown), but streams were widely available and the time difference was favourable. It was also was a good chance to see a few Canadian prospects like Andreescu in 2017 and Leylah last year, and being on indoor carpet obviously differentiated it from the rest of the tour, but as other said, it did feel like it was on it's last legs for a while.

·
Registered
16,022 Posts
Hopefully not - no one wants yet another ghostly, soulless tournament which majority of players don’t care for
Same everywhere else this why they are getting cancelled. :rolls: nobody want to watch

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Gosh! Are they going to somewhere in the middle of China like Xining or Haerbin?

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
They should do a tournament in western Canada like Calgary or Victoria will be great. But please a big no to tournaments in USA and China.

Reactions: jimbo mack

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Vancouver will be a perfect location. They tried to buy the Quebec license few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Victoria has a lot of more space and and it will be less expensive from the organising perspective.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Is there a reliable and official source that can confirm the Quebec cancellation?

I suppose the writing was on the wall when there were supposedly going to be 4 tournaments in one week post USO. Of course there was never real intention for that to happen.

Poor Quebec City - I remember the days Big Bad Brenda, Tara Snyder, J-Cap and Chanda Rubin took the title. It worked well then in the calendar alongside Philadelphia et al. Roadmap killed it in 2009, although it did last another 10 years nearly!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts