Tennis Forum banner

641 - 653 of 653 Posts

·
Registered
15,029 Posts
The interruption is good for her in terms of practicality — she can use it to get fitter and her most hated clay season is done before it even started.

However she hates this (the whole corona mess). After all, lest we forget, one of the big reasons she started hating the Asian swing was because of the original gangster aka SARS scaring her away from Hong Kong and elsewhere in Asia back in the early-mid 2000s. Now a family member of the same virus comes back and this time it swallows the whole planet. This is emotionally hard for Kim.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The interruption is good for her in terms of practicality — she can use it to get fitter and her most hated clay season is done before it even started.

However she hates this (the whole corona mess). After all, lest we forget, one of the big reasons she started hating the Asian swing was because of the original gangster aka SARS scaring her away from Hong Kong and elsewhere in Asia back in the early-mid 2000s. Now a family member of the same virus comes back and this time it swallows the whole planet. This is emotionally hard for Kim.
Even though she wanted to play in Charleston on clay...

·
Registered
53,487 Posts

A short break could be good for Kim, but a long break for sure not.
Yes, Kim must get fitter. And for this a short break with fitness training can help.
BUT Kim needs matches, matches, matches to find her rhythm. Training does not replace matches.
Also Kim is old, not getting younger, she will only move slower with age. She has no time to waste.
A difficult situation for Kim. If WTA Tour gets cancelled until 2021, it will be bad for Kim.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
if there is no more or very little tennis for the remainder of the year, do you think kim will continue with her comeback in 2021.
i personally don't think she would think it's worth it.( nothing to prove) she may think it's worth being with her kids, instead of hitting tennis balls around the world.
after what has happened this year, i think tennis players with children, may decided to play a little less and be with family.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I definitely think she'll continue her comeback.

She had two tough matches against decent opponents at big events and did quite well, at least in the first one. She must be super hungry now that she's had a taste of what she was missing.

·
Registered
31,043 Posts
From all indications she wanted to make a full-scale comeback too rather than just play a few matches for fun, so she would have been planning to play longer than just this year. If anything I think this break could help her up her fitness level and then restart at a time when everybody else will also be rusty.

·
Registered
880 Posts
well as she said above she is aiming to continue her comeback

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Kim Clijsters n’a pas renoncé à son « Kimback »

« Like all athletes, I’ve had to adjust my training plans. I am as motivated as before and doing what I can to be healthy and ready to play when tennis is back. »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aww I love them! Hope Kim's comeback continues and with success, when play resumes I think its going to be obvious which players have continued to train, get fit and more than anything, stay positive.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Had a great interview with @Clijsterskim on Wednesday (hln.be/sport). Kim was nursing 2 knee injuries during her first matches back. She's happy that she can lay off the anti-inflammatory pills. "I don't want to be on daily medication the next few years"

She finds it difficult to practice without knowing if the tour will get back on track. "But I'll keep on going, even if we don't play anymore this year. It was always my plan to do this for 2 or 3 years..." She prepares for World Team Tennis as a possible first goal.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Had a great interview with @Clijsterskim on Wednesday (hln.be/sport). Kim was nursing 2 knee injuries during her first matches back. She's happy that she can lay off the anti-inflammatory pills. "I don't want to be on daily medication the next few years"

She finds it difficult to practice without knowing if the tour will get back on track. "But I'll keep on going, even if we don't play anymore this year. It was always my plan to do this for 2 or 3 years..." She prepares for World Team Tennis as a possible first goal.

Wow. I'm glad that Covid-19 didn't ruin her plan to continue playing.

·
Registered
84,910 Posts
641 - 653 of 653 Posts