Tennis Forum banner

601 - 620 of 645 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
With 4 GS and no Roland Garros or Wimbledon?
41 titles
positive H2H against everyone except Serena, Kerber (only played once) and Steffi (when Kim was 16)
ranked nr 1 in singles and doubles
most liked player on the tour: she was kind of adopted by the US and Australia as one of their own

sounds like an all time great to me

·
Registered
214 Posts
41 titles
positive H2H against everyone except Serena, Kerber (only played once) and Steffi (when Kim was 16)
ranked nr 1 in singles and doubles
most liked player on the tour: she was kind of adopted by the US and Australia as one of their own

sounds like an all time great to me
Well, I'm having a hard time considerering her as such since she's less accomplished than all her generational rivals Serena Justine and Venus. Even Sharapova (younger generation) has a better career. Not to mention Hingis.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Wow that has taken me by surprise but perhaps she’s ready! Annoyingly I’ll
Be away so I won’t be able to watch,
if she makes it competitive I’ll be happy :)
There are several streaming options that you would able to use from anywhere in the world, so why would "being away" stop you?

·
Registered
40,203 Posts
There are several streaming options that you would able to use from anywhere in the world, so why would "being away" stop you?
I will have limited internet access. But I’ll find some highlights when I get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm anticipating Kim's comeback will be similar to Lindsay Davenport's after the birth of her 1st child. A couple of minor titles but a lot of injuries. Kim is pure talent and even blind folded, she can cause some upsets but I don't see grand slams. Hingis left the game for 4 years, albeit 10 years younger upon her return but with a lot less power, and she still competed. So why not kim? And if she enjoys it, what harm is she doing? And if it doesnt work out, she'll always be remembered as a 4 time slam champ and one of the nice people. Allez Kim!

·
Registered
12,904 Posts
Best of luck to her - if 70% of her speed is still there she has a chance against anyone.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm anticipating Kim's comeback will be similar to Lindsay Davenport's after the birth of her 1st child. A couple of minor titles but a lot of injuries. Kim is pure talent and even blind folded, she can cause some upsets but I don't see grand slams. Hingis left the game for 4 years, albeit 10 years younger upon her return but with a lot less power, and she still competed. So why not kim? And if she enjoys it, what harm is she doing? And if it doesnt work out, she'll always be remembered as a 4 time slam champ and one of the nice people. Allez Kim!
The problem with Hingis was, she was only a good technical player but her shots matched up weakly compared to the current tennis game, she had way too much margin over the net, shots had way too much spin, and she was just slow. Kim on the other hand is a powerhitter which is going to match up much better with the tour.

I don't think she's gonna win slams either, she says she doesn't aim for that either, but I see her doing well in the smaller events if she can stay injury free, her fitness will follow.

·
Registered
84,327 Posts

·
Registered
40,203 Posts
I am getting really excited for this, Kim is my 2nd favourite behind the hot mess that is Jankovic!

She does look like she’s hitting the ball really cleanly. I hope she can perhaps win one match but we shall see.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I’ve seen many practices that players seem in good form, but in real match it is really up to your opponent if they’re feeding you the same.

·
Registered
10,997 Posts
I’ve seen many practices that players seem in good form, but in real match it is really up to your opponent if they’re feeding you the same.

For a string of very good victories Kuznetsova was also able to play very high level tennis. The problem is that around 35 it is simply impossible to keep that level for a longer period. Nevertheless, I'm EAGER to see if Clijsters is still able to show something from her former peak level, measured by the AM/game statistics.
For instance: last year Venus Williams in her USO 2019 R128 match vs. Saisai Zheng (61 60, 2nd set) put up AM/game= +3.50 level, that is practically unbeatable, and not surpassed by anyone else in the current field. The only problem is that she could show that only for 1 set, and her gun powder lost.
Reminder: the former World No.1 and multi GS champions typically have a peak level around > +3.00 AM/game. (This was confirmed even for the struggling comeback Azarenka and Sharapova too!)
So, if Clijsters is healthy, we could expect et least a > +2.50 peak level from her if she plays more than 10 matches. (My only concern comes because in her training videos she seemed running/moving too slowly.)

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
If Kim is playing anywhere near her last career she will probably win a a mid tier title. I think bloody navratilova should too. She would school half the women with her champion mentality.

·
Registered
84,327 Posts
Dubai, with Kenin

601 - 620 of 645 Posts