Tennis Forum banner

581 - 600 of 631 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Kim is naturally athletic, she will be fine and good to go. I think she has a great chance to beat 99% of the WTA, who are mental midgets.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Excited! I know her game and mind are ready, just worried if her body is ready yet. Her main thing should be injury prevention as an older player. The rest will fall in place and she will be top 50 at least and contend for slams.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
I so want this comeback to be a success and so worried that it will be a flop. Well, we'll soon find out. Good luck Kim! 👍

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I watched a young and very fit Clijsters win the Stanford title, perhaps against Venus Williams that year. The way she was able to slide on hard courts, moving to her right side, as if she was on clay, had to take a toll on her knees. I can't believe she will be as fit and if she is a bit overweight then I don't think her knees will be able to take that toll.

·
Registered
911 Posts
i agree that Clijsters will likely struggle to have an extended, injury free comeback if she doesn't get into better shape that.

while she's been off the tour for a long time she has obviously been very active on court with her academy. that's a big distinction from someone like Golovin who was just out of sport aside from TV work. i feel like Clijsters would only comeback if she genuinely believed her level was strong enough to be competitive. she could have easily been an all time great if her peak was in a different era.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i agree that Clijsters will likely struggle to have an extended, injury free comeback if she doesn't get into better shape that.

while she's been off the tour for a long time she has obviously been very active on court with her academy. that's a big distinction from someone like Golovin who was just out of sport aside from TV work. i feel like Clijsters would only comeback if she genuinely believed her level was strong enough to be competitive. she could have easily been an all time great if her peak was in a different era.
She IS an all time great?

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Sorry to pour cold water, but I think Dubai is way too tough an event to restart your comeback after nearly a decade out of the game, as the main draw entries are all top 30. She should have started somewhere easier like the very weak Hua Hin event this week as a first tournament just to get some matches in.

Starting at Dubai, it looks like she is not really interested in getting a ranking or getting back into the game like a normal player, but just playing what in effect will be a series of exhibitions which entertain the crowd but have no relevance in the wider game.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I wonder when (and if) there has been already a player inducted in the Hall of Fame playing a real tournament.
It seems somewhat odd, and probably embarrassing for the judges.

·
Registered
83,498 Posts
I wonder when (and if) there has been already a player inducted in the Hall of Fame playing a real tournament.
Wasn´t it with Hingis before?

·
Registered
37,467 Posts
Navratilova, Hingis, Tracy Austin, Björn Borg and John McEnroe come to mind. Hingis actually announced her comeback a couple of months after her induction. 🤣

581 - 600 of 631 Posts