Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
A Young Troubadour.
16,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Karolina Korbanova, a young Ukrainian who won the Australian Open doubles title with Caroline Whitten along with Memphis, Miami, and a small ITF tournament with Lindsay Raymond, is rumored to be seriously thinking about a change in nationality. The youngster, who many consider, to be a future talent supposedly is in a dispute with the Ukraine Tennis Federation. A lack of funding and the inability to compete in FedCup has Korbanova considering ulterior options.

Korbanova held an interview with a US reporter where she currently lives primarily in Dallas, USA. Korbanova moved to America when she was 12 years old and trained in the Texas area.

"Right now, there is a lot of conflict between UTF and myself. I feel I am being mistreated by the organization. They aren't doing anything to promote the growth of tennis and there are no other upcoming players. I want to play the Olympics and I need to participate in Fed-Cup somehow to get there. It just isn't fun to be the only girl from Ukraine on tour."

Korbanova has limited her options down to three. She will either continue to represent Ukraine where she was born and resides part-time. Her second option is to play for the USA. Korbanova moved to train in America at an early age. This move would allow Korbanova to possibly play in the Olympics with Caroline Whitten, who has mentioned the possibility to Karolina.

"Of course I would represent Ukraine if something would change. I consider myself Ukrainian and it is "home" to me. Family and friends still remain in my hometown of Yalta and beyond. The USTA has also been very gracious to me. They have funded me even though I am not one of their own, I feel like I owe them something, but I don't consider myself American. I speak English very well, along with Belarussian, Ukrainian, and Russian. In all honesty I would consider a move to become American the least possible."

And finally and perhaps the most interesting option is to represent Belarus, the country that has produced world class talents such as Larissa Ovechkina and Nadia Banaszek. Korbanova speaks Belarussian, her father is Belarussian and her mother is half Belarussian an half Croat (inspiring Karolina's name). Korbanova consistently trained in the neighboring country and has a large extended family in the country.

"If I were to leave Ukraine, I would say Belarus would be my home. I have always known Belarus as a refuge for me. The Chernobyl accident happened before I was born and I was still greatly impacted. It was terrible and Belarus was hit hard. In some ways, I am more Belarussian then Ukrainian. When I was young and dreaming of a tennis career I was watching Nadia and Larissa on TV and they were my heroes. To maybe be on their Olympic team would be a fufilled dream. Nadia has been a great mentor for me, and although I don't know Larissa as well, I have so much respect for her."

"Right now, everything is just in the air, and even I don't know what to do. I will definetely seek out advice and my decision will be made in the near future. I just hope the situation doesn't get worse, but by taking no action that is the only thing that will happen.We will see ;)"

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
:eek:

The Czech Republic would love to have Karolina :hehehe: ;)

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
Karolina, why don't you come to Belgium. We would be only 2 players, that means that we both will be able to play all the time. We won't be the 3rd player. Please take this option into account and change nationality to Belgian (3 times Fed Cup champion over the past 4 years)!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
4,044 Posts
Awww. But Ukraine is a real nice country! Hrmpf. If you change, please follow Anne-Laure's advice and play for Belgium...

Or Iceland! It's a small rich country, whenever you win a match you get worshipped and the press is all around you, you feel like a superstar really. It's nice to get the recognition and the federation gives you loads and loads of money, but I'm not allowed to say that because I'm like an anti globalist and against people earning big money.... :p

·
A Young Troubadour.
16,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Belgium in the Horizon?

Karolina Korbanova is already tangled in a messy situation, considering a swap of nationality from Ukraine. The teenager appears to be abandoning her home country but to where is the question that still remains. Originally Korbanova was torn between Belarus and USA but now another interest has come into the situations, Belgium. The northwestern European country of Belgium. International uproar comenced when the country holding a dynasty in FedCup withdrew from the draw. Belgium's lone veteran player, Anne-Laure Vandelion withdrew her team, due to an inevitable loss to Great Britain. When Vandelion heard of Korbanova's news she immediately contacted the 17 year old. Korbanova was interviewed again today about a switch to Belgium.

"This situation has become quite interesting now. I mean I have 4 options, but really I'd say Ukraine is out of the picture. There is nothing to be resolved and as sad I am in, I will no longer represent Ukraine. I think America is out of the pictures as well. I am European, and although America is a great nation I cannot represent them. Now all it comes down to is Belarus or Belgium. I'm quite interested to hear back from the Belarus Tennis Federation, but I'm unsure of how they will respond. Belgium contacted me without even asking them, and it impressed me. They are a great tennis nation, and to play FedCup for such an elite team would be an honor. The only problem is that I'm in no way Belgian. I don't speak French fluently and I've never spent a lot of time there; once on vacation when I was 11 and when I played Hasselt last year. I have fond memories there, I reached my first quarterfinal in the big leagues there. I will definetely talk with Belgium and they are becoming a interest, I just hope I would not be criticized for representing a country that I have little relation too. My name might seem rather strange as a Belgian [laughs]

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The Belarussian Tennis Association will make an announcement soon...

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
4,044 Posts
Ah, Belgium is a multicultural country and I am sure they'd embrace you, Karolina! If you don't feel Belgian yet, it will come later, I'm sure :p

·
Banned
6,101 Posts
A message from Germany:

"We don't accept *****."

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Well if you are in such a hurry, go ahead and make a choice but Belarus is not just me. I'm waiting for Paul to get back to me but he hasn't so I don't want to announce anything without consulting him before.

·
45,913 Posts
If you want to pay 99% of your winnings and endorsement money to the Belgian government in taxes, by all means, go join them.

If you want to get out of paying taxes while still living in a beautiful country with nice people and every luxury you can think of, move to Mexico. :cool:

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
If you want to pay 99% of your winnings and endorsement money to the Belgian government in taxes, by all means, go join them.

If you want to get out of paying taxes while still living in a beautiful country with nice people and every luxury you can think of, move to Mexico. :cool:
Out tax system is not that bad :p We get pensions, full medial care,... all for free, so you don't need to be extra charges. And it's pretty easy not to pay taxes! You just have to create a commercial society on your name, all your money goes to your firm, and you pay yourself in dividends... basically, no taxes then :p

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Official statement of Oleg Fetisov, president of the Belarussian Tennis Association.

''Of course we would be happy to have Karolina Korbanova represent our great country in events around the world. She is a very promising player that has already made a mark in doubles. Right now, with Nadia Banaszek and Larissa Ovechkina having great careers, she would be considered to be the next great thing from Belarus. With team events being a priority to our players, she would have to be ready to work hard and report to the National training camps during the year. Working hard will be essential because we already have two players in the top 10 in both singles and doubles so if she wants an active spot on the Fed Cup team, she is going to have to prove it to us that she deserves it. We are a small country but we take our tennis very seriously. We feel that with Korbanova, Belarus will be the dominating nation for years to come.''

·
A Young Troubadour.
16,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Korbanova Confirms Belarussian Citizenship

Korbanova began work to make her Belarussian citizenship official, by visiting an Olympic agency with her coach and aunt from Minsk.

Karolina Korbanova officially confirmed her change in citizenship from Ukraine to Belarus today, and from now on will represent the Eastern European country for her career. Problems with the Ukraine Tennis Federation pushed the young teenager towards the move but she feels it is all for the better.

"Right now I'm just happy to be done with the situation and have everything resolved. I knew Belarus was what what was best for myself and my career. I'm going to miss being Ukrainian but I will still see my friends and family there frequently. Today, I'm already preparing my chances for FedCup and Olympics by visiting different Belarussian bureaus and it's a lot of work but I'm happy to do it. Banaszek and Ovechkina were inspirations as a young player and now to be standing next to them under these team competitions will be a true honor. I know Belgium really tried hard for me to represent them, and I respect Belgium and Anne-Laure but a move to Belgium just wasn't for me and I wish them all the best in their future team competitions."

Korbanova arrived in Minsk to train under Belarussian supervision.

After a two week break, Korbanova already began training at a Belarussian facility with new coaches. Next week she will play in Estoril, and then participate in Berlin and Rome to complete her clay schedule.​

·
63,615 Posts
Good move :worship: I'm glad it's Belarus you want, not Belgium :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts