Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
29,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
according to the app, the P470 event has been moved from Tokyo to the namesake of the former WTA #1 before Barty rose to the top this week :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

that is quite a surprise, as the WTA has 40+ years of history in Tokyo :SNE:

also Quebec City is not on the app calendar but that could be a mistake I guess, we will have to see :eek:h:

·
Registered
44,825 Posts
I thought the location would only change for a year to renovate the other stadium for the Olympics. :eek:

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
I was sad until I realised they’re just moving it to Osaka, seems like a good move since I’m assuming Tokyo will still have its International?

·
Registered
29,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tokyo Pan Pacific specially has been such a classic.
the Pan Pacific Open will still exist though, just not in Tokyo :eek:h:

·
Registered
29,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was sad until I realised they’re just moving it to Osaka, seems like a good move since I’m assuming Tokyo will still have its International?
no there isn't a MM in Tokyo :scratch:

only Japanese events are Hiroshima MM and now Osaka P470

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
They moved last year to a new venue to renovate the existing venue for the Olympics, now that the venue is renovated, they will move the event to Osaka? What will they use the existing, renovated facilities for? A 125k? Money is flowing.

·
Registered
34,544 Posts
They moved last year to a new venue to renovate the existing venue for the Olympics, now that the venue is renovated, they will move the event to Osaka? What will they use the existing, renovated facilities for? A 125k? Money is flowing.
I guess the ATP is still there? But I agree that it's a sad move, I really liked the event in Tokyo and especially with the Olympics coming up I was expecting it to take place this year as some sort of preparation.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
The renovation of Ariake Tennis center is delayed and not in time for Toray PPO this year
I believe this isn't permanent move

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Huge population here who enjoy playing tennis....I would be surprised that something won't be coming back, especially with the rise of Osaka really reigniting people's interest in WTA since Kimiko Date retired (again).

·
Registered
21,918 Posts
I think they've taken the Naomi-mania there a little far.

:eek:h:

·
Registered
15,871 Posts
When I first started following the WTA closely in the 90’s they had THREE tournaments in Tokyo.

Sad there are now none.. but I’m sure a tournament will come back there in the future.

This will probably be the first time a Japanese city outside of Tokyo has hosted a premier level WTA event?

·
Registered
32,514 Posts
Is this a permanent move or just for this year? It would be logical for the OG's legacy to hold the Tokyo tournament in a renovated stadium, wouldn't it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts