Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tamara started off the first set slowly on the back of her poor serving and eventually worked herself back into the set much in line with her whole week in Bol.

Match started with 5 breaks in a row, most service games went to 30 all or thereabouts, before Sorribes-Tormo held service. Zidansek broke back a few games later and Sorribes-Tormo really struggled and folded 5-7. I believe she went 0 second serves won out of 15 at one stage of the match.

Am I seeing things or did she change her service motion during the match? I think she was trying to disguise her serve by looking like a person trying to block at the net in water polo or volleyball. It was strange. It caused her problems.

The first set wasn’t brilliant and it was mostly pushing. Neither player had the courage to really go for their shots, even Zidansek who was painting the lines during the week kept her shots a good margin within the line.

Second set carbon copy of the first. Zidansek broken opening service game, was down 4-5 facing Sara's serve but then got ahead 6-5 and broke for the win

In the end Sorribes-Tormo faced a player who was equipped to counter her pushing. The power from Zidansek at the back of the court negated the moonballs, didn’t give her a chance to move to the net. Tamara was very comfortable with slicing + drop shots. She is also quite nimble. However, she needs to work on her service. This week was really poor

·
Registered
707 Posts
18 breaks in 24 games! Now that's what I call a proper final. Billion times better than Saturday's joke final @ Roland Garros.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The queen of Bol :yeah: What a nice way to close the weekend. She was hot and cold as usual, playing in patches, but she was willing to go for her shots at the end of each set and it paid off.

Sorribes though is a terrible player, endless moonballing coupled with the ugliest grunting I've heard in a long time. She also had a big meltdown at the end of first set, she was yelling in the umpire's face but got away without a warning :shrug:

Reactions: JMG

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Congrats Tamara!! She has tough opponents this week, but she has shown how number #1 seed should play.

Sara is funny though. She was grunting EEE at one point, than she switched to AAA, than EEE again. You better mute her or neighbours would think what's going on, lol.

·
Registered
16,461 Posts
Tamara will be sad the clay season has come to an end with the results she’s been having recently. Although she has 2 weeks of clay post Wimbledon to look forward to, which isn’t too far away.

·
Registered
45,033 Posts
Tamara :yeah: :inlove: Despite being the top seed I never really thought she would stand a chance to win here. Her draw was brutal.

R1: d. Minella (ranked 100, 10th highest ranked player in the draw) 7-5 6-2
R2: d. Voegele (ranked 97, 9th highest ranked player in the draw) 3-6 6-2 6-3
QF: d. Bacsinszky (ranked 94, 7th seed) 7-6(5) 6-4
SF: d. Juvan (ranked 131) 2-6 7-5 7-5
F: d. Sorribes Tormo (ranked 75, 2nd seed) 7-5 7-5

So she played the two highest ranked players just missing out on seeding in the opening rounds, before facing the most accomplished player in the draw, then a highly talented junior, who had steamrolled her way into the SFs and then the second seed. All that with the pressure of being top seed and defending champion. Truly a strong run from her, which should boost her confidence. :D

But I also agree with the thread starter, her serve is a big liability and while she can protect it quite good at times on clay. I am pretty certain she will have a very hard time doing so on grass. I am not even sure which events she signed up for before Wimbledon, but hopefully she will get some valuable experience during her first proper grass season. :)

·
Registered
39,486 Posts
Would really like to see a women's match where they play 20 or more games and there are less than 5 breaks

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Read this stat somewhere. Sorribes Tormo won 3/27 points on second serves

·
Banned
32,000 Posts
Sara should be suspended from WTA until she fixes her grunt. Everything has its limits.

Reactions: Hypnotize

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Would really like to see a women's match where they play 20 or more games and there are less than 5 breaks
Muguruza def. Konta AO 2019 - 2 breaks of serve, 35 games played.

Reactions: Daydreamer
1 - 16 of 16 Posts