[4]Alina Patersson vs. BYE
Le Kha Duc Thanh vs. [8]Anna Heidhrun Thorarinsdottir

[6]Nadia Banaszek vs. Fatima Mayou
BYE vs. [2]Martine Kartincova

Information
- Sign in for doubles by 5:00 PM (EST) Sunday
-Please state full name of doubles partner
- Points due within 48 hours of doubles draw being posted

- Send CLAY court points to me VSFan1 aka Joshua L.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Banaszek/Patersson?

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Regla Torres: Road to No. 1 begins here

Bogota, Colombia: World No. 4 Regla Torres arrived this weekend in the Colombian capital to prepare for tournament starting on Monday.

The recently Spanish naturalized (again) player is the top seed in this tournament. Despite her regular appearance here and clay court prowess, she has never on this title.

Although she is a two-time finalist including last year when she lost to Jelena Dokic of Australia 6-2 7-6.

She is hoping to change her luck in this tournament but more importantly to change her luck for the year 2009. So far she is 0-2 in her year-to-date performances.

"I'm definitely excited to be back here. I want to do so well here," Torres said in her press conference.

"I'm feeling hungry for match wins. I've been on a losing streak."

Although still in the top five, Torres's ranking has been slipping after being ranked a career high of No. 2 for most of last year.

"Yeah, I think I could be doing a lot better right now. I'm still very optimistic about this year. I definitely think that I could be No. 1.

"In fact, I would say my road to No. 1 begins here."

The tour has definitely felt the absence of Caroline Whitten who is No. 1 according to the rankings but has only played one tournament this year and missed the Australian Open.

The top women are all hungry to fill that spot and everyone feels each of them can get there.

This is the eighth consecutive year for the Copa Colsanitas event in Bogota and aside from Torres also features other players such as French Open finalist Martine Kartincova and former US Open champion Nadia Banaszek.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,325 Posts
anyone for doubles with Sylvia?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
4,044 Posts
Still having fun

Iceland's Heiðrún Hera Þórarinsdóttir is in Bogota to play her third tournament of the year. She's come back to tennis after trying to brek through with a music career last year. She sat down with us to have a little chit chat on the tour and her future and her goals in Bogota.

Are you satisfied with your level of play?
HH: Sure. I mean. I don't relly care about my level really. If I did I would train, but I just care about having fun on court, just doing my thing. It's nice to hear some people missed me and there's some people who even call my comeback succesfull... Maybe the tour has just become soft though and they're just saying that just because. It's not something I would do though.

What do you expect to do here in Bogota?
HH: Oh nothing really. I don't try to create any pressure on myself, like I said I just wanna have fun. I came to Bogota because well. You know what Colombia is known for, they have some real good quality shit here. SO it's a plus to come here play some tennis and then chill with some good old marijuana. It's a shame Skank and Elise aren't here, would have been a blast to do some good old truth or dare game. But I heard the clubs here are nice too, so I will check those out too. I might even wear decent clothes.

What do you know from your opponent in the first round?
HH: That's she's some Asian I have never heard of. I bet she's better than me. I've no clue how she looks like and what she plays like though. I don't think I've ever seen her on player parties. Guess she's one of those nuts who actually train and stuff. There's always a few of those. I expect her to be very motivated, loud and shouty.
I'm most looking forward to the doubles though, I payed with Kartincova in Melbourne too, and she's quite funny! I put some vodka and stuff in her drinks there in our first round, and boy what a funny lil bitch she turns to when the alcohol is inside her. Loved it!

What does the presence of Regla do for you?
HH: Well you know... She's a diva and a star and all that so it's nice to have some cool bitch around, I hope she does some really nasty stuff, I'm loving nasty stuff. But I don't think I'm intimidated or something. But I know many young girls out there are. That's what you get when you set goals and create expectations!

Thank you for your time with us
HH: Oh, no problem. Can I get another Bloody Mary, though?

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Schedule of Events
Wednesday - Singles First Round
Thursday - Singles Quarterfinals
Friday - Singles Semifinals; Doubles First Round
Saturday - Singles Finals; Doubles Finals

·
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bogota
2008 III Jelena Dokic (AUS) def. Regla Torres (MEX) 6-2 7-6
2007 III Patsy Lou Selez (GBR) def. Gianna Adrianna Dulko (CAN) 7-5 7-6
2006 III Larissa Ovechkina (BLR) def. Emily Simonsen-Harris (IRL) 6-2, 7-5
2005 III Ruflina Taliamanosoko (BOT) def. Regla Torres (CUB) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
2004 III Jane Wong (HKG) def. Mazuelena Majlana (BUL) 7-6, 7-6
2003 III Ruflina Taliamanosoko (BOT) def. Maguela Frageeva (BUL) 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
2002 III Larisa Ferrer (GBR) def. Brenda Van Haak (BEL) 6-4, 7-6

·
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bogota
2008 III Kartincova/Torres def. Chernyakova/Myskyova
2007 III Canterbury/Haj Imani def. Banaszek/Ovechkina
2006 III Missud/Simonsen-Harris def. Gambill/Ovechkina
2005 III Gambill/Ovechkina def. Chartazanova/Majlana
2004 III Majlana/Vandelion def. Taliamanosoko/Wong
2003 III Taliamanosoko/Wong def. Davidson/Danese
2002 III Ferrer/Huubere def. Gonzalez/Sanchez-Connelly

·
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Order of Play for Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Center Court (Play begins at 12:00 Noon)
[6]Nadia Banaszek vs. Fatima Mayou
followed by
Le Kha Duc Thanh vs. Anna Heidhrun Thorarinsdottir
followed by
[5]Pheobe Buffay vs. Nastya Nemayeva
followed by
Caitlin-Leigh D'Arcy vs. [7]Sylvia Landman

·
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Singles Results, First Round

[1]Regla Torres def. BYE
While the rest of the top players went to Dubai, Regla came to one of her most cherished events, Bogota. The fans all adore her here.

[7]Sylvia Landman def. Caitlin-Leigh D'Arcy 6/3, 6/4
Sylvia's recent success in doubles has helped her on the singles court as evidenced by her brilliant play today. Does she have enough against Regla tomorrow?

Nastya Nemayeva def. [5]Pheobe Buffay 7/5, 7/6(4)
This was the only upset of the day as tour newcomer, Nemayeva, is playing the game right by getting in a consistent amount of wins.

[3]Giuseppina Benedetti def. BYE
Speaking of consistency, Giuseppina has shown it this year, but usually falters before the semifinals. Will Bogota be any different?

[4]Alina Patersson def. BYE
Alina is still searching for that first win of the year in Bogota.

[8]Anna Heidhrun Thorarinsdottir def. Le Kha Duc Thanh 6/1, 6/1
What a thrashing Anna Heidhrun gave the Vietnamese girl today! The crowd loved it too as Anna is cherished wherever she goes.

[6]Nadia Banaszek def. Fatima Mayou 7/6(5), 6/0
Nadia was so upset at herself for being taken to a first set tiebreak. We haven't seen her play that bad in a long time. At least she got it out of her system quickly.

[2]Martine Kartincova def. BYE
Martine, like Regla, also opted for the smaller event in which the fans are more intimate with the crowd, but the points less rewarding.

·
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Order of Play for Thursday, February 19, 2009

Center Court (play begins at 12:00 Noon)
[6]Nadia Banaszek vs. [2]Martine Kartincova
followed by
[4]Alina Patersson vs. [8]Anna Heidhrun Thorarinsdottir
followed by
Nastya Nemayeva vs. [3]Giuseppina Benedetti
followed by (not before 7:00 PM)
[1]Regla Torres vs. [7]Sylvia Landman

1 - 20 of 43 Posts