Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
33,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A confused umpire in Bogotá completely fucked up the score and ROBBED Astra SHARMA of what should have been a break early in the third set against GATTO-MONTICONE. SHARMA apparently wasn't paying attention and didn't notice, but the WTA supervisor also disrespected her afterwards. Now SHARMA is losing her finalist points from 2019 even though winning this game could have possibly turned the match in her favor.

Reactions: skinnylegend

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
It's not Astra's fault but if there is a scoring error and the player doesn't bring it up, there's nothing that can really be done.

If she did bring it up, you stop playing. Break to love being called as 40-30, you don't just carry on?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Pretty major balls up here o_O complete with Sarita’s eeeeeeyyy coming from an adjacent court.

Yes, it’s up to the umpire to call the correct score, but surely, surely a professional player who has been ranked as high as Sharma must know the significance of a 0-30 opportunity when it’s on serve in the final set. Scores were called in Spanish and English too. Why play several more points before realising?

·
Registered
33,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If what Astra says is correct, I don't like the way the WTA Supervisor is gaslighting her into thinking it's her own fault.
It's her job to play tennis, not keep score.
You can watch the video, she's right.

It's not Astra's fault but if there is a scoring error and the player doesn't bring it up, there's nothing that can really be done.

If she did bring it up, you stop playing. Break to love being called as 40-30, you don't just carry on?
I'm inclined to agree but this is a pretty major error. Like Mariana Alves level if not worse. And it's not the players' job to keep score.

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
:censored: It's Bogota slams rules, they use cardboards to keep updates with the scores. Players need to keep tabs by themselves just in case.

Reactions: danieln1

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I remember this happened in a Aga Radwanska match, and IIRC her team pointed it out to her before the next point was played.
Players are probably really focused sometimes, with tunnel vision, and can lose track of the exact score even if they have an idea whether they're ahead or behind.
It's definitely the umpire's job, but probably players need to routinely ask their teams to keep track just in case.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
Ouch. That's shocking. The umpire pretty much has one job, to keep score, and he fails spectacularly. Imagine going from triple break point, getting that key point to actually break, only to then lose the game about 50 seconds later. Man.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I remember this happened in a Aga Radwanska match, and IIRC her team pointed it out to her before the next point was played.
Players are probably really focused sometimes, with tunnel vision, and can lose track of the exact score even if they have an idea whether they're ahead or behind.
It's definitely the umpire's job, but probably players need to routinely ask their teams to keep track just in case.
Actually, it was called out after the game was over. Cicak was calling the score wrong all throughout the game and then radwanska’s team told her that the score is wrong and she mentioned it and cicak needed to call for the video guys to recheck. Bartel was already sitting down but complied with no complaints after the score was corrected.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Sad......
I see some confusion but I don't think they know what they're confused about.....
Was Sharma so upset that she didn't win a single game from then on or did she just play shit to lose "6-1" ?

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is insane.
I'm surprised Sharma didn't notice, if you manage to win 3 points in a row, even if you don't hear the umpire saying the score, not winning the game when winning another point should ring a bell. But how is it possible for the umpire just to get away with it, I mean it's a big part of his job to keep track on the score and if he makes a mistake it's not to the players to pay the price.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts