Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before Willies fans get upset, it's a positive article.... in the end ;)

source: www.the-times.co.uk

By Danny Baker

WHEN, as Newcastle United manager, Kevin Keegan famously adopted the guise of Robert Newton to issue his legendary broadside about how much he would “love it, I tell ’ee, really love it, arr, if we beat them there swabs Manchester United”, many observers believed that there might never be another locker-room outburst to match it.
At the time I widely advised caution to those attempting to close the door on just how mad sports people are liable to be in the future but, I must admit, for many years it seemed as though Keggie’s infamous “Belay there Fergie” speech would remain the unchallenged apex in post-match pottiness. However, this week my wait-and-see predictions have been vindicated.

No one who heard Serena Williams’s distraught reaction to getting upended finally in a tennis match could doubt that here was the new benchmark in the spotting of sporting crackpots. Speaking more than an hour after her 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 French Open semi-final defeat by Justine Henin-Hardenne, Serena was still shaking like a storm-tossed blancmange and spoke in a voice that cracked and broke reminiscent in style of Tiny Tim, the Sixties novelty entertainer.

Clearly the possibility of defeat for this court colossus did not exist and, now that it had suddenly leapt out at her from behind a Parisian bush, it appeared to have touched off some hitherto hidden pile of TNT in the poor woman’s psyche. “This is so difficult for me, so hard,” she began, swallowing sobs and surveying the wreckage of her shattered career. “All my life I have had to fight, really fight, and now this. It’s another hard battle that I am just going to have to learn to win.”

If you didn’t actually catch the footage, you will have no idea of how much theatre Serena pummelled into those few tearful and overwrought words. It made Vicki Carr’s stage acts look underplayed. And pure apple sauce they are, too. Tough though the earlier sections of the Williams girls’ careers undoubtedly were, it can’t all have been a hard and bitter struggle. I mean, has she not taken on any British players over the years? She then touched all our hearts by bravely looking once again towards the sun, saying: “All I can do now is keep smiling. That’s all I have left right now.” Well that and about a hundred million dollars, girl. Plus a triple-barrel load of red-hot emotional magma bubbling away dangerously close to the surface.

Dear Lord, can you imagine the force that will be unleashed upon whatever hapless sap is facing Serena on court next? If even a fraction of that self-pity turns to bile, her vengeful opening serve will be aimed straight at that wretched trembling opponent, ultimately creating some kind of Henry Moore sculpture out there. I certainly hope that security will be beefed up for the final today. It is just possible that Serena may snap completely and show up as usual at showtime, rackets in hand, ready for action.

She’s a feisty gal, and I wouldn’t want to get in her way at the moment. Say if she makes it on to court? Say if she tells the two Belgians contesting the crown to go down the other end, she’ll take them both on at once. It could happen, you know. And ask yourself, who would you put your money on right now?

·
Tart with a Heart
15,747 Posts
Thats quite a witty article, although I fear not everyone will think so. But...Danny Baker? Not the (incredibly annoying) Danny Baker?

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
I think it's quite funny, especially the part about red-hot emotional magma bubbling dangerously close to the surface. :)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
He's not the only one who saw a bit of the actress there.

Like the actress she hopes to become, Serena Williams put on a
command performance as tears flowed on and off during her post-match
media discussion of her semi-final defeat by Belgian Justine
Henin-Hardenne at the French Open.

Once the topic turned to a Roland Garros crowd cheering
French-speaking Henin-Hardenne during a 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 victory which
sent the defending champion to her first loss in 33 Grand Slam
matches, the dramatics began.

Blinking back tears, the winner of the last four Grand Slams over
her elder sister said: "It was a tough crowd out there today, story
of my life."

Pressed, the world number 1 then chided her opponent for perceived
theatrics at late stages in the upset which lasted two hours, 20
minutes.

Along with Henin-Hardenne, Williams also blamed the Paris fans who
applauded her errors in the closing stages.

"It's difficult," said the winner of nearly 12 million dollars in
prize money. "I've had to had to fight all my life. This is just
another fight I'm going to have to learn how to win.

"I've just got to keep smiling, if you do that things will work
out."

As suddenly as they began, they dried up when Williams spoke of her
desire to put the past behind her for Wimbledon starting in a fortnight.

Despite best efforts by some questioner to bring the political
stress between France and George Bush into the conversation,
Williams was not buying that argument. "I don't think being American
had anything to do with it, sometimes people want the underdog to
win."

It was not the first crowd trouble for the Williams sisters, who
still refuse to play at Indian Wells after being jeered by a
California public three years ago when Venus defaulted against her
sister moments before their match.

Williams also took a serve at Henin, who has now beaten her twice
in a row in the space of two months.

The American all but uttered "gamesmanship" as she discussed a
perceived incident late in the match on her own serve when Henin
held up her hand for time, an action which Williams said put her off
her game.

"It's bad when people boo between serves...and other people are
egging them on by doing ridiculous things," said Williams, who added
that she wouldn't be bothering to watch the Saturday final between
Henin-Hardenne and compatriot Kim Clijsters, a first for the game.

She also was not impressed with her opponent's questioning of line
calls. "A player (on the other side of the net) circles a ball and I
can see it out, I don't necessarily call the umpire to go check it."

Henin refused to be drawn away from the joy of victory.

"This is absolutely fantastic, my first final here. It's a
tournament which is close to my heart. But it's not finished for me.
I still have to play the final and I have to stay focussed right
now."

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
You know, I read all about Serena's crying and then today I saw it on Eurosport before the final and thought she looked absolutely ridiculous. Here is a girl who says that crowds don't bother her but then today cries these big old crocodile tears and is sooo melodramatic. Are we supposed to believe this theatre? Am I supposed to believe those smiles and waves to hostile crowds are genuine? Those evil glares that she gave to Amelie? Why cannot she just be a real person instead of this attention-seeking diva.

She has achieved so much and is wealthy and has so much to be happy for whereas other people are suffering in the world. I think she deserves her wins and riches cuz she worked hard for them but don't expect me to feel so sorry for her. Karma is a bitch, Serena.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
I am not sure whether I believe her. with both of the williams sisters there is ALWAYS AMBIGUITY. There is always something that seems shady like Indian Wells and Rome withdrawals. Like some of their matches seemed shady. Serena always being "sick" against Capriati. Her evil glares to Momo but then nicey nice at the end. Her deeply felt tears and "it's the story of my life" stuff at Roland Garros. Her faked French accent, her medical timeouts at Oz. I cannot say that she was not sad but I did watch her interview and it just seemed so theatrical. Of course I am biased against her and I know that so I try to keep an open mind but it is just one thing after another with the Williams, especially with Serena.

I do respect Oracene a lot and do the crowd was rude. I also think Serena is an awesome player and she will win Wimby most likely.

·
Registered
12,095 Posts
Only an idiot would think that Serena acted when she cried on her press conference... :rolleyes: "it looked theatrical..." please you heartless moron shit..

I'm not surprised that is fan of that paraplegic (aka Hingis)

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
I don't think she was faking her crying but she definitely was playing it up and was just overly sad. Anyways, I do hope she feels better soon knowing that the player who beat her went on to win the whole thing.

SERENA, you have done so much and will do much more so wipe off the tears and move on with your head held high. :D

·
Registered
390 Posts
Oh for sure, she played it like a true drama queen. But that doesn't mean the emotions behind it were any less real.

I personally - I may get flamed for this - think that she was crying more because she lost a tennis match, than for Henin's 'raised hand', or the crowd (who behaved abominably towards her). I really think that the shock of losing a semi final stunned her completely. The cauldron didn't help of course.

And the article rocks! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts