Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's this weeks TV schedule. THe last north American Tier I was being played.
Code:
Tue 12 12:30 AM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  35  ESPN2    
Tue 12  6:30 AM  Classic Tennis  89  YES    
Tue 12  1:00 PM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  36  ESPN    
Tue 12  6:30 PM  Classic Tennis: 1991: Connors-Krickstein  89  YES    
Tue 12  9:00 PM  Classic Tennis  89  YES    

Wed 13 12:30 AM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  35  ESPN2    
Wed 13  1:00 PM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  36  ESPN    

Thu 14 12:30 AM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  35  ESPN2    
Thu 14  6:00 AM  Classic Tennis: 1984: McEnroe-Connors  89  YES    
Thu 14 11:30 AM  Classic Tennis  89  YES    
Thu 14  1:00 PM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  36  ESPN    
Thu 14  3:30 PM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  35  ESPN2    
Thu 14  7:30 PM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  36  ESPN    

Fri 15  6:00 AM  Classic Tennis: 1991: Connors-Krickstein  89  YES    
Fri 15  1:00 PM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  36  ESPN    
Fri 15 11:00 PM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  35  ESPN2    

Sat 16 12:00 PM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  35  ESPN2    
Sat 16 11:00 PM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  35  ESPN2    

Sun 17  4:00 PM  Tennis: Masters Series Cincinnati  35  ESPN2
Since Serena won the US Open in 99, we've always seen this tournament, at least from the QFs. This summer has been a wasteland since Wimbledon. I was expected tennis everywhere on TV, and I needed it, cause its rained every damned day here! There's not much, and it all men's.

Its not quite no Williams, no TV, but its close.

This is what can happen when you hang your ticket sales on a couple of stars. Does the WTA even HAVE a European marketing division?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, Venus pulled out days ago, and Serena pulled out, what, roughly two weeks ago? And yet it wasn't like the schedule was affected. Venus and Serena were there and the schedule would have been the same. So that point is pretty much bullshit, no?

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
No, this point is well taken.
Last year I saw a lot more WTA events on TV prior to the Open than I did this year.

It is like golf: Either ther is a tournament or there is a tournament worth wathing if Tiger is entered.

Now substitute Williams for Tiger and their is your answer. :)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sam L said:
Or maybe blame it Andy Roddick. I hear he's American, young, quite cute and doing pretty well in tennis.
That is true.

In Australia, Andy is getting coverage on par with Flip and Hewitt.

A few people should remember the WTA was around, very successfully, long before the Sisters and will be long after.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Not true.

Before the Williams people had grown quite bored with Chris, Martina N. and even Steffi.

VENUS & SERENA brought some real color into the game and the juice they brought to tennis will leave when they retire as well. :)

·
Plainclothes Division
5,873 Posts
Actually, we almost never got coverage of the Canadian Open. It always struck me as odd that we get at least something from the sumer Tier II's, but not from the Tier I. We haven't had any coverage of Canada since 1995, when Seles returned.

Everything else this year is about the same as last year. The only event with significant coverage is New Haven.

·
Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Felly Tournato said:
Well, Venus pulled out days ago, and Serena pulled out, what, roughly two weeks ago? And yet it wasn't like the schedule was affected. Venus and Serena were there and the schedule would have been the same. So that point is pretty much bullshit, no?
I'm sure, for you, it's bullshit.

For people who are actually interested in seeing more tournaments and more tennis on TV, no its not bullshit. tennis, unlike most sports, lets TV give them conditional contracts. Meaning certain tournaments are shown only IF certain players play, and depending on who plays, it may be cable and it may be network. TV doesn't get to tell a golf tournament 'you'll be televised IF Tiger plays'. But women's tennis just dogged.

But hey, for YOU, it's bullshit.

·
Gone but Never Forgotten
9,123 Posts
ESPN did cover the Canadian last year. And I have a tape of the final to prove it ;)

I read somewhere on the board that ESPN is only going to show North American tourneys (besides their Slam coverage, of course). Last I looked, Canada was part of North America :rolleyes: They did have pretty good coverage of Montreal last week.

Go figure :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
doloresc said:
this is terrible but typical of american tv's treatment of women's tennis. of course, we'll be slighted again at the agassi, i mean, us open. :(

If Venus plays I hope she's not slated to play on the days Aggassi plays, although now that I think of it she'll be the day match Aggassi the nite match. Nevermind.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.