Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the new crop of girls from inner-city youth tennis programs that is supposed to be developing alongside the rise of the Williams Sisters the past 5 years? Has the USTA dropped the ball in this regard? We have 3 women of color in the top 20 in the world, and all three give back to the game regularly with their personal time with youth and inner-city tennis programs. What's happening?

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Great question! It´s really a shame that there have been only three African-american champions in tennis history!

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Angela Haynes and Shenay Perry are both young and making their way pretty steadily up the rankings; both would appear to have decent game. (There's also Jamea Jackson and Shadisha Robinson, but they've done pretty much nothing to shout about thus far.)

Thing is, there isn't really a potential SLAM champion in sight amongst the US juniors, whether black or white.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
I hit at the Southeast Tennis and Learning Center,(D.C.) every week, there are some good young players there, but I haven't seen anyone (yet) who stands out. I think they could all get college scholarships though.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
I think Jamea, travels w/the US Fed Cup team.

·
Registered
883 Posts
This is total off topic.
Why is that the Americans call there black people African American why dont they jusy call them Black cos that what they are.
I mean what do you guys call English Black people.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
G_Slammed said:
Say what bandabou?????
To my knowledge there have been only three African-American female champions in tennis history or am I mistaken?! Althea Gibson, Venus and Serena. And with the Williams sisters the impact of the USTA was nihil, ´cause they father teached them himself.

I´m only saying that for such a big sport as tennis is in the states, the african-american impact is still waaayyy to small.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Zina Garrison and Lori McNeil have been working with the Houston Parks and Rec. Department for well over 10 years now, and they were both still playing doubles on the circuit when the Williams Sisters appeared. I don't get it!!! It makes me very angry as well. In the meantime, we have seen little Ashley Harkleroad being touted as the next Chris Evert clone (which is really what they're touting- only in today's language), and little miss Ashley is more akin to a Jelena Dokic clone if we analyze her real potential. It's time for a change!

·
Snitch
16,148 Posts
Who knows why in the UK...in America we "chose" to be called African American out of pride for our ancestors in the same way Italians are called Italian Americans...or the Irish...Irish Americans and so on...PURE AFRICAN PRIDE...:D

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
alfajeffster said:
Zina Garrison and Lori McNeil have been working with the Houston Parks and Rec. Department for well over 10 years now, and they were both still playing doubles on the circuit when the Williams Sisters appeared. I don't get it!!! It makes me very angry as well. In the meantime, we have seen little Ashley Harkleroad being touted as the next Chris Evert clone (which is really what they're touting- only in today's language), and little miss Ashley is more akin to a Jelena Dokic clone if we analyze her real potential. It's time for a change!

What the flying fuck does Harkleroad have to do with Jamea, Mashona, and Angela? Ashley has shown RESULTS, and when a pretty young black girl does then maybe she'll be hyped as the next Serena.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
Ryan16 said:
What the flying fuck does Harkleroad have to do with Jamea, Mashona, and Angela? Ashley has shown RESULTS, and when a pretty young black girl does then maybe she'll be hyped as the next Serena.
Do u really think that there aren´t other black players with more potential than Ashley?!

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ryan16 said:
I'll tell you what- she is the latest in a long line of blonde, two-fisted baseliners in poneytails that the tennis industry just keeps spitting out like so many marketable barbie dolls- and not just in the USTA, either, witness how many blonde bimbos have come out of Russia in the past 4 years. The point of my post is to question whether or not it's time to re-examine this industry practice of popping out underachieving bimbos versus getting involved at the grass roots level in places like where the Williams Sisters came from and see what kind of tennis can be produced.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
bandabou said:
Do u really think that there aren´t other black players with more potential than Ashley?!
No, moron. They just haven't fulfilled it, or even shown it yet. And when they do, THEN they can be hyped.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
alfajeffster said:
I'll tell you what- she is the latest in a long line of blonde, two-fisted baseliners in poneytails that the tennis industry just keeps spitting out like so many marketable barbie dolls- and not just in the USTA, either, witness how many blonde bimbos have come out of Russia in the past 4 years. The point of my post is to question whether or not it's time to re-examine this industry practice of popping out underachieving bimbos versus getting involved at the grass roots level in places like where the Williams Sisters came from and see what kind of tennis can be produced.
Well if you had worded your first post like this one, then I would agree. Saying Ashley Harkleroad has no potential to be a top player is untrue though. The USTA should explore every area for potentially promising players, true, but I don't think they're that interested.

·
Registered
47,533 Posts
And the funny thing´s that all those barbie-dolls aren´t exactly producing results! Anna?! No titles! Dani?! Eating disorder. Elena D?! Can´t serve! Maria?! Can go the way of Dani! Jelena Dokic?! Overworked! And the list goes on and on!

Serena and Venus may not fit in the typical barbie-profile, but give me their results any day!

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
The USTA, needs to revamp thier development programs. If you don't have a "look" it seems that you won't get the full backing. It's no wonder Richard was smart enough to bring his girls along the way he sees fit.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
bandabou said:
And the funny thing´s that all those barbie-dolls aren´t exactly producing results! Anna?! No titles! Dani?! Eating disorder. Elena D?! Can´t serve! Maria?! Can go the way of Dani! Jelena Dokic?! Overworked! And the list goes on and on!

Serena and Venus may not fit in the typical barbie-profile, but give me their results any day!
Uh, it's a little bit too soon to write Maria off just yet, don't you think?

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
sartrista7 said:
Uh, it's a little bit too soon to write Maria off just yet, don't you think?

Apparently every slim attractive girl now has an eating disorder. Keep up, would ya Sartrista?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts