Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very well played from Barty. Strycova has a lot of the same elements to her game, and had to play very well to keep it close. Barty looked pretty relaxed throughout.

1st % still low, but so many aces, so many saved BPs, and a high win %. Hard to complain!

Now a match win away from a title, the #1 ranking, and probable top seeding at Wimbledon. Either Martic (tricky, but Barty should still be a heavy favorite) or Goerges (difficult, but Barty should be a decent favorite) await.

Would be great for a Barty-Goerges final and doubles title too!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
The best moment was when Barty hit some crazy errors early in the second set to give Strycova 15-40 and a chance to get her first break. It looked like Barty was about to have a little lapse.

Then she hit 3 aces in a row :lol:

First serve percentage was too low and there were some crazy easy errors, plus she played way too passively at times. Overall though, a fantastic effort - especially considering the pressure of the situation.

That serve and that forehand...amazing.

Strycova actually handled Barty's game better than a lot of other players have lately, probably because she knows how to take people out of their comfort zone so well. Good effort from her.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Ash served very well when she needed to today, Strycova pushed her hard in both sets but Ash looked pretty much in control.

Few uncharacteristic mistakes here and there but overall another solid performance from Ash.

Into another final, more pressure to contend with, fingers crossed she deals with it again.

·
Premium Member
Naomi Osaka, Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
4,788 Posts
Goerges would be a much, much tougher Finals Opponent and here is why:

B'ham 2018 R16: Julia Goerges def Ashleigh Barty 7-6(6), 6-3

Both would remember that sort of Match very well.

·
Registered
9,326 Posts
Very confident and convincing performance from Ash. Also a very watchable match with good rallies.

Barbie worked her butt off and to her credit made it close in score but Ash never seemed in trouble.

One more win for the number 1 position. Will be a big test, a title and the number 1 on the line, can she keep the nerves away like in the RG final? I certainly hope so. :cheer:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The way she builds her wins by being solid on her service games and waiting for the opportunity to break reminds me Federer.:eek:

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Goerges would be a much, much tougher Finals Opponent and here is why:

B'ham 2018 R16: Julia Goerges def Ashleigh Barty 7-6(6), 6-3

Both would remember that sort of Match very well.
And they're doubles partners. Goerges knows her game very well.

Actually, I'm not sure we've seen 'Barty of today' (roughly Nottingham 2018 through now) play someone she's friends with. She's friendly with a lot of players, but she a Goerges play doubles and practice together. It's a different prospect.

But Goerges has to beat Martic first! Hoping she does, too. Would be great to have a cracking Birmingham final.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I can't with a lesser player so close to the top. And Osaka is even worse. What a dark age. The best players still behind. We need Pliskova or AA to win W. The whole female tennis movement is on the brink of extinction.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,052 Posts
And they're doubles partners. Goerges knows her game very well.

Actually, I'm not sure we've seen 'Barty of today' (roughly Nottingham 2018 through now) play someone she's friends with. She's friendly with a lot of players, but she a Goerges play doubles and practice together. It's a different prospect.

But Goerges has to beat Martic first! Hoping she does, too. Would be great to have a cracking Birmingham final.
Must admit, I was hoping for a Barty/Martic RG final and I would be very happy if that final actually takes place tomorrow in Birmingham.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can't with a lesser player so close to the top. And Osaka is even worse. What a dark age. The best players still behind. We need Pliskova or AA to win W. The whole female tennis movement is on the brink of extinction.
:lol:

I'm hoping for a Barty d. Osaka Wimbledon final. Really push them up a bit in the ranking points as #1 and #2.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
It was a nice old-school match. Especially with Babs being in a good mood.

I wonder how long it's been since a RG singles champion got to the final of their next (grass-court) tournie (and possibly in doubles too). Would we have to go back to the 80s or even further?

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Must admit, I was hoping for a Barty/Martic RG final and I would be very happy if that final actually takes place tomorrow in Birmingham.
I'd be fine with that too :lol:

Enjoying the Barty fandom on here. Y'all seem like my kind of people ?

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It was a nice old-school match. Especially with Babs being in a good mood.

I wonder how long it's been since a RG singles champion got to the final of their next (grass-court) tournie (and possibly in doubles too). Would we have to go back to the 80s or even further?
Henin did a it a few times, not sure if anyone's done it since.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
I look forward to the 'non tennis fans' seeing Barty having a good run at Wimbledon and saying 'wow a girl who can play good tennis, doesn't shriek, doesn't yell at her box, doesn't argue with the umpire, just shakes her head if she makes a boo-boo, changes her game if it's not working, plays quick between points, gets her own water-bottle' and falling in love with her. ;)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Wonderful performance when Strycova was playing well all match. Highest quality match of the tournament so far.

I agree Georges will be a bigger test than Martic because of her weapons.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
The best moment was when Barty hit some crazy errors early in the second set to give Strycova 15-40 and a chance to get her first break. It looked like Barty was about to have a little lapse.

Then she hit 3 aces in a row :lol:

First serve percentage was too low and there were some crazy easy errors, plus she played way too passively at times. Overall though, a fantastic effort - especially considering the pressure of the situation.

That serve and that forehand...amazing.

Strycova actually handled Barty's game better than a lot of other players have lately, probably because she knows how to take people out of their comfort zone so well. Good effort from her.
Yet again, reminds me of that other natural all courter who also used to do this in his heyday ;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts