Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drama!! Su-wei def. former doubles partner Sabalenka... (feat. Marija Cicak with 3 bad calls and a repeat of the Henin 'hand incident' in one game). :( :eek:

I wonder if having to argue with the umpire reminded her of the heartbreaking Wimbledon loss against Cibulkova last year where she was also cheated out of an important point. Luckily she was able to find her focus again and take the match in the last minute this time.

This was actually such a fun contest until Cicak stuck her foot in it. Great contrast of styles. :worship: From the 2nd set onward Sabalenka was playing her best tennis since Shenzhen, big threatening serves and clean winners, defending very well too. Hsieh was pounding the corners also and moving her around like a puppet on a string when she got the chance.

Will face another doubles partner (Strycova) or Heather Watson in R2. Hope she can make a run here.

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't get to see this match. What exactly did Cicak do?
1. Gave Hsieh a time violation even though she had just gotten the ball from the ballkid (they took a little while to bring it to her again later in the same game).

2. Allowing Sabalenka to challenge Hsieh's serve (which ended up being in anyway) LONG after she had hit it into the net. Even the commentator suggested she was just trying to buy time.

3. Su-wei hit another serve very close to the line, Sabalenka barely dinked it over the net because she had put her hand (and finger) up, walked away, and indicated a challenge. Cicak said she didn't hear a challenge and gave the point to Sabalenka, stating that Su-wei didn't try and hit the ball (SW explained that she didn't go after the ball because Sabalenka had challenged it).

This all happened in the same game, and Hsieh was broken.

·
Registered
16,393 Posts
Cicak called time violation when Hsieh just got the ball from the ball kid like 5 seconds ago.

Cicak gave Sabalenka a chance to challenge like 3-4 seconds after Hsieh's ball landed on the line, basically not instant.

Cicak gave Sabalenka a point at Hsieh's serve citing Hsieh didn't attempt to hit the ball that Sabalenka hit back when Sabalenka raised her hand out and long for challenge, murmured and walked like she was Pliskova.

·
Registered
16,943 Posts
Cicak EAT THAT WICTH

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Nice match, less serving yips from Sabalenka this time around but her panic-stricken looks in the third set TB were telling.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
This was an entertaining match, it is a shame that Cicak did her best to spoil it . A chair umpire needs to have exceptionally good judgement, not exceptionally poor judgement! The worst moment was when Sabalenka put her hand up to challenge a call, which caused Hsieh to stop running, but Cicak stubbornly insisted that Hsieh stopped moving before Sabalenka raised her hand which is blatantly untrue.

Sabalenka really is a brute and I don't like her game but I do respect how hard she fought in this match, there were some points where Hsieh dragged her left to right but she took off after every ball and defended well. I do not think there was a big difference in the level of the two players today, Hsieh just played really nice points towards the end and Sabalenka's errors cost her.

·
Premium Member
4,856 Posts
I guess Cicak is human after all :eek:

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
:bounce:

And again.......... she's OUT !!!! :D

·
Registered
14,934 Posts
Much needed win for Sure Wei. Needs to build some points before defending Wimbledon fourth round

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
That was a pretty bad patch of umpiring :facepalm: but I guess umpires are human too. Well done for keeping focus Hsieh.. Whats up with Aryna? :tape: She was winning all these matches last year. :help:

·
Premium Member
44,019 Posts
Su-Wei :worship:

Can she win Wimbledon?

Hell yes!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Sabalenka keeps on losing tight matches, mentally she's been so weak this season.

As for Hsieh hopefully she can have a successful grass period, she can easily go deep here, in Eastbourne and at Wimbledon.

·
Milk and honey
4,033 Posts
Aryna actually played pretty well today after the first set but drew a Su-Wei in good form. Hsieh really baited her well with sharp angles and made the match very frustrating deep in that third set for her opponent, striking when appropriate and letting Sabalenka missfire when it looked likely.

Sabalenka needs wins badly and this draw and result can't have helped. If she doesn't build some momentum by the end of the grass she'll be in big trouble.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Awful and ill-mannered from the umpire.
Oh, and classy of Sabalenka to recognise she'd already stopped the game by asking for a challenge. Not.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Oh, and classy of Sabalenka to recognise she'd already stopped the game by asking for a challenge. Not.
It was already a forgone conclusion that Sabalenka had challenged. What the umpire was stupidly arguing was that Hsieh stopped before the opponent challenged. That's not on Sabalenka, that's on the umpire who brainfarted through that entire game.

·
Registered
34,119 Posts
I'm thrilled for Su-Wei and would love to see her hit a new career-high ranking soon. Sad for Aryna though, but glad to hear she was playing well for a lot of the match at least.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I was at Birmingham today and this was probably my favourite match all day.
I got to see Sabalenka lose in person... and throw her racquet like she did after losing to Naomi at the US Open. It was the perfect reenactment.
AND I got to sit next to her hot coach Dmitry when he gave up his own seat for an old couple.
She was weirdly quiet today, barely any grunting.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts