Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ostapenko looks in good mood and poised this week, impressive win against Konta but red hot Martic since clay court season bring her confidence on grass with two solid win !

the croat has the tool to throw Osta out of rhythm ! her game is good for grass no ?

Thought ?:wavey:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
37,036 Posts
The very strange events of RG 2017 not withstanding, grass is very much Ostapenko's best surface and there is no question she has been playing better this week than she has at any point previously this year. Okay that's a low bar, but even so, she is playing very well. Even the serve has been effective and her groundstrokes while still aggressive have also shown a much needed element of discipline as well. Not only is Jelena playing well between the lines this week she is showing a refreshingly different and surprisingly positive attitude too. When she has received coaching she listened, gave friendly feedback and was warm and receptive towards her coach. Yeah, seriously. She also gave a fine interview showing a lot of positivity and enthusiasm but also a refreshing humility and respect for her opponent during her post match on court interview following the Konta match. It's almost as if she has been reinventing herself this week.

Having said all that, Petra Martic has been playing great all year, and she is one of those players who can excel on any surface. I'd say her game is even better on grass than it is on clay. On top of that, I rather think Petra has the kind of game to make life very tough for Ostapenko. She is a crafty player with a great ability for handling her opponent's pace and improvising some awkward situations for her opponent. In short, I do see this match up favouring Petra significantly. With both girls playing well, it is likely to be a fairly close match, but I am going for Petra to get the win.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts