Amateur Volleyer
32,122 Posts
Oops, I didn't see this thread :eek:

R1 Sasnovich
R2 QWang/Qualifier
QF Barty/Vekic/Brady
SF KaPliskova/Sabalenka/Hsieh/Strycova
F Osaka/Konta/Svitolina/Goerges/Ostapenko

Sasnovich will be an interesting test. She's competent on grass and will force Venus to earn her win. And then Wang in R2.... she always tries to drag. :unsure::eek:

Difficult to know what type of level to expect from Venus given her health issues lately, but I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Sassy beat Kvitova in round 1 of Wimbledon last year, so I won't be underestimating her. But Wang was the best seed to draw as she's been on such a bad run of form lately and is not a big enough hitter on grass.

It's just going to be nice to see her play anyway, and assess where her game and health is at against a pretty crowded field.

Please no rain! :eek:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Doubles draw:

(1)Dabrowski/Xu v Wang Qiang/Yastremska
Barty/Goerges v Christian/Jakupovic
(4)Groenefeld/Schuurs v Chan/Chan
N. Kichenok/Spears v (wc)Dart/Williams

Ostapenko/Voskoboeva v (wc)Grey/Silva
Rosolska/Yang v (3)Melichar/Peschke
Buzarnescu/Watson v Atawo/L. Kichenok
Jurak/Srebotnik v (2)Hsieh/Strycova

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I wouldn't mind the dubs if:

A) it was with a better partner.
B) it was at a tournament with a day off - either slam or PM.
C) it was a tournament with no expected rain delays (what are the chances Vee has to finish 3 matches in a day now).
D) it wasn't just a few short weeks before Wimbledon.

It's not even an easy doubles draw, and even if it were, it's not like she's getting a huge doubles ranking boost from this. :lol:

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Also, with Riske's title in Den Bosch, Venus is now the #8 ranked American. :hysteric: Luckily it looks like she's about to start cramming for the finals.

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,122 Posts
Dart is one of the worst players I've ever watched. :eek: This will be..... interesting. Hopefully she'll get a boost playing in front of her home crowd.

I wonder if she was intending on playing doubles with Serena here (would explain why Serena chose to stay in Europe) and Serena dropped out. :unsure:

Weather actually looks decent this week. Aside from Tuesday late afternoon through Wednesday early afternoon, it looks clear so far. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
She played okay in Eastbourne last year but she really is bad. Technique, mentality, everything. Also she said Meldonia was her favourite player (before embarrassing herself 0-6 0-6 against her at the AO), so I am TRULY questioning Vee's motives here. :lol:

Madison Keys was in the draw before withdrawing so I wonder if not for Serena, Vee and her might have teamed up again (like they did in Rome last year).

Oh well, the doubles draw is rough anyway. Vee seems to be very excited to play, not just here but at Wimbledon. Must be feeling good. :)

·
Amateur Volleyer
32,122 Posts
She's on the Monday OOP. Doubles NB 5pm :dance:

So presumably that means a Tuesday start for singles. Hopefully she'll be scheduled early that day and can beat the rain.

·
Registered
85,718 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
She played okay in Eastbourne last year but she really is bad. Technique, mentality, everything. Also she said Meldonia was her favourite player (before embarrassing herself 0-6 0-6 against her at the AO), so I am TRULY questioning Vee's motives here. :lol:

Madison Keys was in the draw before withdrawing so I wonder if not for Serena, Vee and her might have teamed up again (like they did in Rome last year).

Oh well, the doubles draw is rough anyway. Vee seems to be very excited to play, not just here but at Wimbledon. Must be feeling good. :)

Vee wants to qualify for the Olympics....

Thanks for jogging my memory about Dart. Girl was overwhelmed by Meldo in AO... I'm assuming Vee picked her because she is British.

I'm excited to see Vee play!!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I can't believe I'm going to miss her first match :eek:
How much do I really need to board this flight....

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
TEAM DARTNUS better be warming up and getting ready to snatch Kichenok/Spears' wigs!!! I at least hope they get to meet before going out on court... :hysteric:

What's this I hear about Pan-American Games winners potentially getting a WC into the Olympics? Maybe someone on Vee's team needs to look at that as an option.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Vee's singles match is scheduled 3rd up on centre court on the Tuesday, after Goerges v Yastremska and Osaka v Sakkari.

Should start doubles in about 2 hours on court 1, just have to wait for one more singles match.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Anybody able to find a stream? Since they moved it to CC most of the ones I click say 'no coverage on Court 1 at the moment' or similar. :eek:

1 - 20 of 336 Posts