Registered
6,383 Posts
KALLMEYER, IRMA
Germany
Born
Died
Married Bartels in late 1933/early 1934
[Active at least from 1924-1934]

Irma was from Berlin. Ranked #10 in Germany for 1933 as Kallmeyer, she was Frau Bartels by April of 1934, dating her marriage to late 1933 or early 1934.

German National Rankings

1924: #9
1925: missing rankings
1926: #8
1933: #10

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KALLOS, OLGA
United States
Born 8 October 1910 in Hungary
Died 15 May 1995 in Pompano Beach, Florida.
Married Rudolph Ellissen (1910-1992), circa 1947
[Active from 1931-1946, then 1952-1963]

Passenger ship records indicate she came to the US with her family in 1923. She was good enough to appear at Forest Hills in 1946, her last year of Top flight tennis.

We find her in draws as Mrs Ellisen from 1952 to 1963.

(From her obit)
After graduating from Barnard College, Mrs. Ellissen played tournament tennis and was ranked in the Eastern Section of the U.S. Mrs. Ellissen met her husband, an acclaimed tennis player in Austria and Hungary in 1947. Tennis remained an important part of their lives into their senior years. For more than 30 years, Mrs. Ellissen worked as a personnel examiner for the New York City Department of Personnel. In her retirement years she produced several portraits per year, both on commission and for family members. Mrs. Ellissen was a member of First Church of Christ, Scientist, Mamaroneck, NY. She is survived by a niece and a nephew.”

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KALTENBORN, OLGA (nee Baroness Olga Von Nordenflycht)
Germany/United States
Born 23 October 1888 in Chicago, US
Died 29 January 1977 in Palm Beach, Florida, US
Md Hans von Kaltenborn 14 September 1910 at Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, Berlin
Nickname: “O.K”

Daughter of Baron Ferdinand von Nordenflycht, a German Counsel General. Her husband, who dies in 1965, was the editor of the Brooklyn Daily Eagle and a noted Radio/TV sportscaster. They had 2 children, a son named Rolf and a daughter named Anais who also played tennis. She attended Sophie Newcombe College in New Orleans.

Active as late as 1921-when she plays the US Women's Indoors in New York City.

My earliest tennis days go back to Berlin where I played with my brothers and their friends..

My father was in the diplomatic service, and some 50 years ago [circa 1901] we were sent to New Orleans, where I found the most delightful friends at the New Orleans tennis club. I was 16 years old when the Atlanta tennis club asked players from our club to come to an invitation tournament. It was a wonderful experience in many ways, not the least of which was my first experience with the inquisitive American press.

In Europe we considered publicity not only unnecessary but improper. When a group of reporters came to take our pictures I refused to have mine taken for fear that my family might frown on the publicity. Of course that made the reporters more eager, and they kept asking me questions. To get rid of them I said jestingly: "If you don't go away, I'll tell my father and he'll send the Kaiser's army after you."

It was in Brazil …that I first played tennis with my husband. It was when he came to meet my family and celebrate our engagement in December 1909, after he had finished tutoring Vincent Astor.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KAMO, SACHIKO (加茂 幸子)
Japan
Born 11 February 1926 in Tokyo
Died 28 October 2003
Married Tokushima
[Active: 1946-1958]

She was Japan’s first female to have an overseas presence, playing in both Europe and the United States. In 1954 Kamo became the first Japanese female to compete at Wimbledon. Kamo won 1 match before losing in the 3R.

Her brother Kosei was part of the doubles team that brought home the US National Doubles titles in 1955.

Titles

8 time winner of the All-Japan title (1946-1951, 1953, and 1955)

1954: The Philippine Championships; Divided 1954 Welsh title at Newport with Jenny Middleton.
1957: Mamaroneck
1958: Asian Games

At Roehampton in 1954

Sources:

kamo - Le blog des archives du tennis feminin

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachiko_Kamo

Player Section in Japanese Tennis Association Website

Robertson, Max. Encyclopedia of Tennis. 1973. p 272.

[Thanks to Rollo and rosamund for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KÄPPEL , MARGARETHE (“Peppi”)
Germany
Born 23 December 1912 in Berlin, Germany
Married Von Gerlach, on or after 1941 and before August 1943
Active 1930s-early 1940s

German #2 in 1941.

From “Der Tennissport”, January 1939

“Margarethe Käppel is a Berliner. She was born in the German capital on 23 December 1912. In 1927, at the age of fourteen, she began to play tennis. Previously, she had been more interested in athletics, handball and cycling, but because her school friends all joined a tennis club together, she did not want to be left out, so this is how she first came to play tennis, albeit unwillingly.

“In the Grün-Gold Tennis Club in Pankow her real love for tennis was awoken. In 1929 and 1930, she took part in the junior championships, but did not have any positive results. ‘However,’ she writes, ‘I was very happy that I had even been allowed take part in the junior championships.’

“Nobody predicted a great tennis career for Margarethe Käppel and no one believed that her game would ever be better than that of a player in the second division of a tennis club. However, to other people’s and her own surprise she won the championships at the Pankow Tennis Club and, two years later, after moving to the Rot-Weiss Club, also won the club championships there. Her name first appeared in the German ranking list in 1933.

“If we have a look at her private life, we see that in 1934 Frl Käppel, a qualified gym and sports teacher, left the Sports University in Berlin. Since then she has been working at the DAF company in Berlin and, sometimes, as a sports teacher.

“At the Rot-Weiss Club, Martin Zander was the one who took Frl Käppel under his wing and was her sporting role model and, as she wrote, is also the person to whom she most owes her knowledge of tennis. What type of success has she had? Let us listen to her speak for herself: ‘When I took part in the German Championships in Hamburg for the first time I had a very hard and happy match against Lolette Payot, fired up by advice from Cilly Aussem and Kai Lund. I could have had no greater success than to lose 7-5 in the third set against such a good player. I won the Czech Championships in Prague twice against Mini Hein Müller, the Romanian Championships over Klara Somogyi and, in 1935, the German National Championships in Braunschweig.

“She considers her success in Braunschweig to be her greatest victory. In her opinion she has yet to experience her worst defeat. She has been able to beat every other player in the German ranking list once, with the exception of Marie-Luise Horn, but has also lost at least once to the same players. The consistent nature of her performances isunderlined by the fact that she has been ranked either fifth or sixth in Germany since 1935.”

[Thanks to Newmark for his translation from “Der Tennissport”]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KATILIUS, VERONIKA (nee Veronika Ščiukauskaitė*)
Lithuania/United States
Born 14 August 1910
Died 2 August 2006 in Flushing, Queens, New York City.
Married Herman G Schmidt after 1955. He died 2 November 1960
Name variant: Veronica (used often in the US, Veronika is the more proper Lithuanian spelling)
[Active circa 1926-1961]

*The Lithuanian source cited below gives her maiden name as Ščiukauskaitė. Is this a different form of Katilius, A Germanized form of her maiden name?, or could she have been married to a man named Katilius in Lithuania or Germany?

Winner of the Lithuanian Championships for 15 consecutive years. She first won the event at the age of 12 or 16 ,versions vary. Between 1930 and 1938 years she won international tennis tournaments in Kaunas, Sopot, Riga, Tallinn, Konigsberg, Helsinki and Stockholm.

Virtually unbeatable in her home country, war doubtless curtailed her tennis as first the Soviets and then Germany overran her native land. She relocated to Germany in 1944, doubtless fearing the oncoming Soviet juggernaut coming West.

Veronika emigrated to the United States in 1949, arriving in the US on 19 September 1949-departing from Bremenhaven, Germany. She was a naturalized US citizen on 12 April 1955. Husband Herman was a member of the West Side Tennis Club.

She was a resident of Forest Hills, New York. Schmidt entered the 1957 US Doubles at Longwood.

At the West Side Tennis Club Veronica coached Vitus Gerulaitus, a tennis player of Lithuanian descent who was the 1979 US Open finalist.

The following story ran in the Arizona Republic in 1961:

Mrs. Schmidt, Tennis Royalty By Frank Gianelli

VERONICA SCHMIDT admits she won the Lithuanian tennis crown when 12 years old — four years after taking up the game — and kept the title 15 seasons, then modestly adds "but there weren't many good players in the tiny country." Opponents vehemently defend that Veronica was a genuine queen of the era, deserving of all her titles. Players today, who recognize that the gray in her hair merely mirrors her iron endurance, modernize the endorsement. A mastery of ground strokes and methodical placements kept Mrs. Schmidt among champions in the toughest of competition before the days when tennis became a charging pet game as well as a test of accuracy. As champion, Veronica never lost a match in her native land. And to keep ,tennis supremacy in the family, her sister, who still lives in the Communist-overrun land, was the No. 2 player. She won the Baltic and Finland championships, enjoyed such royalty as Gustav V of Sweden as a tennis partner, and was a top attraction on the Continent until the 40's when Germany overran the nation, later to be followed by the Soviets. She came to the U.S. in 1950, resumed tennis and found she had lost little of, her skill. "I learn a new language—my sixth, and the most difficult—and I win again at tennis," she said. At the West Side Tennis Club in New York Veronica three times won the singles title and with Flo Blanchard, now a Phoenix resident, dominated the doubles four times.

Game Described As 'Moving Blackboard'

Opponents describe Veronica as a "moving backboard." Everything they hit over the net comes bouncing back. "In rallies her magnificent ground strokes are tantalizing," Mrs. Blanchard said. "Her returns flick lower and lower across the net, You can't wear her down, or put, And sooner or later the opponent faults and she wins a point." Phoenix players who enjoyed watching her play in the Thunderbird Tournament this week may see more of Mrs, Schmidt than they care to contemplate — from a competitive standpoint. Recently widowed, she came to Phoenix to visit with the Blanchards and admits "I like it here, I hope to come back." ' Veronica has awed admiration for today's women tennis players. Watching smooth Darlene Hard power to victory over Phoenix's young Laurie Callaway, she noted "the serves are stronger today. They go to the net more, they're faster on their feet— they play tennis like men. It become like the A-bomb, one explosion and everything's over. Not many of them use the cute, tricky play. Everything's power, power, power."

Sources:

KaunoDiena.lt | Tavo miesto naujienos

The Arizona Republic 29 January 1961, page 70.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KEAYS, WINIFRED (nee Winifred Ponsonby MacClellan)
Great Britain/India
Born circa 1880 in Castletown, Isle of Man
Died 10 December 1957 in Braddan, Isle of Man
Married Edward Harry Keays on 23 January 1903 in Calcutta, Bengal, India
[Active circa 1910-30]

Took part in tournaments in Great Britain, France and India. Usually listed as "Mrs W.P. Keays". She was listed as representing India when she was a finalist at the London championships and entered Wimbledon in 1922. She won the Indian Championships in 1923.

According to the New York Times, "Mrs. Keays has a cramped style of play, but possesses rather a good forehand drive" (NYT 30 June 1922, p. 22).

In 1926 she lost to Helen Wills at Cannes

Her husband was a barrister.

[Thanks to Rollo for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KEELE , ADA
Australia (NSW)
[Active 1884-1907]

Miss Keele was an early pioneer of NSW female tennis and doubles runnerup at the 1895 New South Wales championships.

She most likely resided in Sydney, in the Waverley area. In 1894 she represented Waverley in a competition versus Ashfield. In 1890 she was a member of the Yarrandabby Club and the lady club champion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waverley,_New_South_Wales

[Thanks to Rollo for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KELTIE, JESSIE (Jessie Graham Keltie)
Australia (Tasmania/Victoria)
Born 17 March 1896 in Tasmania
Died in 1963
Married John Alfred Simpson (1896-1949) in August 1923 in Malvrrn, Victoria. Divorced in 1938.
[Active 1919-1924]

In 1919 Jessie lived in Emu Bay, in Darwin, Tasmania. She was runner-up in the women’s singles event at the Tasmanian Championships in 1921.

Jessie was still Miss Keltie in a January 1923 trip to Melbourne. It was probably at that point that she met John Alfred Simpson, a Melbourne native whom she would wed in August.

In 1924 Jessie entered the Australian Championships as Mrs Simpson, making the QF. She had 3 children with John. Her son Graham Fredrick Simpson was born 17 August 1926 in Horsham, Victoria.

In 1938 Mrs Simpson sought a divorce on the grounds of "misconduct" (adultery). Her husband was an architect. The divorce decree declares his whereabouts are unknown, suggested he had abandoned his family. At some point in the 1930s she relocated back to her home state of Tasmania.

She had a good serve and fine strokes, though she tended to be erratic.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/51203162?searchTerm=miss%20keltie%20%20tennis%20tasmania%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=

[Thanks to GeeTee for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KEMMIS-BETTY, DOROTHY (Dorothy Alice Kemmis-Betty)
United Kingdom
Born circa 1900
Died ????
Married John Edgar Hill, 28 September 1922. JE Hill died 9 March 1937
2 daughter and 1 son.
[Active 1914-1928]

Listed as DK Betty at Wimbledon in 1914.

Per Binoxal she won at least 8 events won-the first in 1922 in Dinard and the last in 1928 at Craigside.

Often listed as Mrs John Hill or Mrs JE Hill. She was alive as a widow in 1937.

American Lawn Tennis (p. 204 of July 15, 1921 issue) has her as South African. No other source hints at a South African identity.

[Thanks to Binonixal for help with this biography]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KEMP, JANET (Janet E Kemp)
United Kingdom
Married John M Ward, in June of 1964 in Surrey
[Active circa 1960-1966]

Lost in the 1R at Wimbledon in only year of singles (1960), but went on to play doubles from 1963, 1965 and 1966. By Wimbledon of 1965 she was Mrs Janet Ward.

1021 - 1040 of 5401 Posts