Tennis Forum banner

4881 - 4900 of 5401 Posts

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
FIELD, ROBYN
South Africa
Born 27 June 1966.
Married Mark Wayne Jones on 12 December 1998 in Durban.
[Active 1989-1991]

Only Grand Slam main draw singles was Wimbledon 1990 where she qualified after beating Carling Bassett and Yayuk Basuki.

[Thanks to Rosamund for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
FORD, BESSIE (nee Bessie Edna Spencer)
Australia
Born 27 August 1907 in Northam, Western Australia, Australia
Died in 1980
Married Ronald Douglas Ford by 1931
[Active circa 1925-32]

Bessie (Spencer) Ford was notably runner-up in the women's singles event at the Western Australia Hard Championships in 1931. Her husband, Ronald Douglas Ford, won the men's singles title at the Western Australia Championships in 1930. Their son, Brian, was also a tennis player.

[Thanks to Newmark for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
EISTERLEHNER, HEIDI
Germany
Born 25 October 1949 in Magdeburg, Germany
Height: 5' 8" (1.72m)
Played: Righthanded
Name pronunciation: "Ice-ster-lane-er"
[Active 1970-1986]

Heidi's family fled East Germany to move west when she was 3. They settled in Nurnburg. A school teacher by profession, she left her job in 1974 to pursue the tour full time.

She was active as early as 1970, when her German ranking was #13.

In 1976 Eisterlehner reached the quarterfinals of the Australian Open. This was her lone quality finish at a grand slam. Heidi got there by upsetting #4 seed Sue Barker.

Her best moment came in getting to the final of the German Open in the spring of 1977. Weeks later came her career high at #42 on the computer in July 1977.

Titles:

1975: Israel Open, Lebanon Open
1977: Auckland
1980: German Indoors

Finals:

1976: Stuttgart
1977: German Open
1978: German Indoors
1979: German Indoors

WTA Year End Ranking

1976: #65
1977: #73 (Career high #42 in July)
1978: #81
1979: #126

The 1980 media guide lists her hobby as coin collecting. She has competed in several sports, including speed skating, soccer, hockey, and track. The German is very active in senior tennis.

Sources:

1980 WTA Media Guide. (page 59, includes a photo)
https://www.dtb-tennis.de/Tennis-National/News/Heidi-Eisterlehner-Eine-Karriere-aus-Liebe-zum-Spiel

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
GUEDY, FLORENCE (Florence Guédy)
France
Born 07 December 1954 in Nemours, France
Height: 5' 6.5"
Played: Righthanded
[Active 1971-1980]

French #4 in 1974 and 1976. A graduate of the university of Paris with a degree in English.

Won a minor event in 1973 at Santander.

WTA Year-end Rankings

1976: #83

Sources:

1980 WTA Media Guide. (pages 154-155)
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Guedy
https://www.facebook.com/florence.guedy

[Thanks to Rollo for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
PROPSTING, CAROLINE (Caroline Bispham Coles Propsting)
Australia
Born 31 January 1901 in Hobart
Died 10 September 1993 in Hobart
Married Leicester Travers Butler on 02 February 1924 in Saint James’s Church, King Street, Sydney
[Active circa 1918-25]

Caroline Propsting was notably runner-up in the women’s doubles event at the Tasmanian Championships in 1922 with Lesley (Johnson) Agnew.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
WILSON, JEAN (Jean M. Wilson)
Great Britain
[Active from at least 1967 to 1968]

British player from Lancashire who was also a leading squash player of the 1960's and 1970's. In July 1967 she set out on a 10 month working tennis tour with Rita Bentley. They planned to play in the Canadian Championships and then go on to California and South Africa. This included her only Grand Slam appearance at the 1967 US Championships. She reached the 2nd round of the singles and the 3rd round of the doubles with Rita.

Source: Page 264 of August 1967 Lawn Tennis and Badminton.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
HEATH, NANCY (Nancy Gertrude Byron Heath)
Australia
Born in 1896 in Briton, Victoria
Died 27 July 1968 in Victoria
[Active circa 1925-30]

Niece of fellow lawn tennis players Rodney and Cecil Heath, and first cousin of another player, Noel Heath. Nancy’s paternal grandfather, Frederick Williams Heath, a native of Plymouth in England, was a wealthy businessman whose family emigrated to Australia in 1864 when Frederick was eleven. For fifty years he was timekeeper to the Victoria Racing Club and the Victorian Amateur Racing Club at Williamstown in Melbourne, and to the Royal Agricultural Society. He died in 1947 at the age of 94, outliving both Rod and Cecil Heath by eleven years.

Nancy never married.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
BROOK, "MAGGIE" (nee Margaret Evelyn Mountain)
Australia
Born in 1880 in Melbourne
Died ???? [alive in 1947)
Married Benjamin Henry "Byron" Moore Brook (died 1924) on 12 October 1905.
[Active in 1914]

Margaret (Mountain) Brook was notably runner-up in the women’s singles event at the Western Australia Championships in 1914, when she lost to her sister, Violet (Mountain) Mather. The two sisters also enjoyed some success together in women’s doubles events. They were the aunts of fellow players Doris and Marjorie Mountain.

In later life Margaret Brook, who was known to family and friends as Maggie, became involved with Thomas Ley, an Australian politician who was later convicted of murder in England. The affair commenced in 1922. Tennis was a shared interest of this adulterous couple. Ley may have murdered her husband in 1925. The official cause of deathfor Benjamin Brook was bee strings. When Ley decided to move to England in 1928 Maggie went with him, leaving Mrs Ley behind in Australia.

Mrs Brook lived at Wimbledon in 1946. Thomas Ley murdered the man he wrongly suspected of being Maggie's lover.

For more on this matter, see here: Thomas John Ley | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

Her daughter June went with her to England and wed a Mr Arthur Burrow. An article from the Perth Mirror in 1947 calls her a "socialite" and "strikingly beautiful."

Sources:

Lustgarten, Edgar(1974). The Chalk Pit Murder (London: London: Hart-Davis, 1975)
Morgan, Dan The Minister for Murder (London: Hutchinson, 1979)

https://www.glebesociety.org.au/street/john-ley/

Thomas John Ley: The Chalk-Pit Murderer | Sword and Scale?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/76029366

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
PRICE, ANNE
Great Britain
[Active 1952-1956]

Her only appearance in Grand Slams was a first round singles loss at Wimbledon in 1955 where she qualified as a lucky loser. Appeared in singles qualifying for Wimbledon from 1952 to 1956 inclusive.As with several other female players of the 1950's and 1960's she was also a squash player reaching the semi finals of the British Open Championships in 1961 and reaching the quarter finals as late as 1969.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
FAIRBURN, "BETTY" (Bettina Alberta Faiburn)
Australia
Born 3 June 1906 in Shipton, Victoria
Died 14 February 1977 in South Yarra, Victoria
Married Ross Grey-Smith on 14 January 1932 in Christ Church, South Yarra
[Active circa 1924-32]

Bettina Fairbairn was popularly known as Betty

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
BATTEN, DAISY (Daisy Maud Batten)
Australia
Born 16 June 1903 in Swan Reach, Gippsland, Victoria
Died 7 July 2002 in Doncaster, Melbourne
Married Allan Mann on 7 September 1935 in Melbourne
[Active circa 1919-30]

Daisy Batten was one of the top players based in Ballarat in the early 1920s. She won the women’s singles at the Ballarat Championships several time and also enjoyed success at other tournaments including the Geelong Easter tournament, where she won the women’s singles title in 1922. She was a schoolteacher by profession.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
CONNOR, "KITTY" (nee Catherine Esmond)
Australia
Born 27 September 1890 in Comet, Queensland
Died 06 May 1981 in Brisbane, Queensland
Married (1) Thomas Francis Connor on 19 October 1914 in Queensland; deceased 1917
Married (2) Cyril Carrington Stanners on 05 August 1925 in Queensland
[Active circa 1919-25]

Popularly known as Kitty, Catherine Esmond had Irish ancestors. She notably won the women's singles event the Hard Court Championships of Queensland in 1923 and 1924. Shortly after her marriage to Cyril Stanners (a well-known amateur jockey) in August 1925, Kitty took part in the Queensland Championships where she reached the semi-finals of the women's singles event before losing to Meryl O'Hara Wood with whom she also reached the final of the women's doubles event that same year.

For some photographs of Kitty Connor and her family, see here: https://www.myheritage.com/person-10...or-born-esmond

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
GOLES, SABRINA (Sabrina Goleš)
Yugoslavia (Croatia)
Born 03 June 1965 in Stari Mikanovci, Croatia
Height: 5' 7"
[Archive: 1981-1990]

Won the 1983 Italian junior event. The next year she was the silver medalist at the Olympics, losing the final to Stefi Graf.

Highlight of 1986 was beating Claudia Kohd-Kilsch in Hilton Head. Goles was the finalist at San Juan, SF at Zurich and Perugia.

Won a lower WTA level event in Paris in 1987.

Sabrina's best slam result in singles was the 4th round of the French in 1984. She was a doubles semifinalist at the French in 1985.

WTA Rankings

1983: #108
1984: #56
1985: #54
1986: #30 (#29 according to WOT)
1987: #64 (career high #27 on 02 February 1987)
1988: #59
1989: #104

Source:

1987 World of Tennis. Pages 297-298
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabrina_Goleš

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
WEBER, INGE
Germany/Canada
Born circa 1936
[Active from at least 1953-1970]

Began tennis at age 10. Later emigrated to Canada. 9 times singles winner of the Western Ontario Championships from 1953 to 1970. Canadian #7 in 1970

“I love it, I’ve always loved it,” she says of her lifelong, on-off relationship with tennis. There was a spell when she couldn’t play the game from the age of 17, when the entire family emigrated to Canada and worked hard to build a new life for themselves. After sporadic brushes with the sport in her twenties, it was her move to Toronto aged 30, where she still resides, that sparked her return to the court with a vengeance. At the age of 48, she was selected to represent Canada at an ITF seniors event for the first time. [From an ITF article]

Still competing on the senior tennis circuit in 2018, where she is 3 times a world champion, the first coming in 2014.

An Erika Weber was ranked #10 in Germany for 1937 and #8 in 1938. Could she be related to Inge?

Sources:

http://health.sunnybrook.ca/sunnyview/80-year-old-tennis-champion-hip-surgery/
https://www.itftennis.com/news/292453.aspx
http://www.waterlootennis.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/The-Western-Ontario-Open-Tennis-Championship-c.pdf (includes a small photo)

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
RICHARDS, RENEE (nee Richard Raskind)
United States
Born 19 August 1934 in New York City, New York
Height: 6' 1" (1.85m)
Played: Lefthanded
Married Barbara Mole in June 1970. They were divorced in 1975.
[Active 1976-1982]

1977 US Open doubles finalist with Bettyann Stuart
1979 US Open mixed semifinalist wih Ilie Nastase

Born Richard Raskind in 1934, as a male Raskind was good enough at tennis to captain the tennis team at Yale. Richard also entered the US Nationals in 1953, 1955-1957, and 1960.

In 1976, I was one of the most famous people in the world. The paparazzi were on my trail twenty-four hours a day, hungry for any photo, the less flattering the better. The mainstream press was better, sometimes. People, Time, Newsweek, Sports Illustrated — I was featured in them all, an international phenomenon. Once, at the height of my notoriety, I found myself in Uruguay, where I had gone beyond the urban centers like Montevideo and was walking down the beach at Carrasco, a tiny coastal village. I was enjoying a welcome sense of anonymity, but a man in a little kiosk pointed to my picture on a magazine and with much excitement asked me to sign it, which I did. Recognizable even in the countryside of Uruguay: that sums up the Renée Richards phenomenon at its zenith.

During that time I was deluged by a myriad of television opportunities. All the major figures wanted to interview me: Phil Donahue, Tom Snyder, Howard Cosell, and many others I can't recall. I was on the Today show, Good Morning America, and a host of other major shows. I was even invited to do The Hollywood Squares, but I declined. I had my limits.

And what had I done to merit this interest? Perfected an organ transplant procedure? Gone over Niagara Falls in a barrel? Neither. Simply put, I had undergone a male-to-female sex-change operation and then had the temerity to play in an amateur women's tennis tournament. Of course there was more to it than that, but basically that was the source of my infamy. To compound my audacity, I had not hung my head and apologized. I had gone to court, won my case, and played professional tennis as a woman.

Richards-from No Way Way, her 2nd autobiography
Titles:

1977: Pensecola

Finals:

1979: Seattle

WTA Rankings

1977: #22
1978: #28
1979: #30 (career high at #20 in February 1979)2
1980: #62
1981: #72

Son Nicholas born in 1962.

"When word got around [at La Jolla] people said, 'Well, she better not try to play women's tennis on the pro tour." I said, "Well now I'm being excluded from something I really didn't intend to do. I don't like being excluded."

From then the fight was on. Richards was denied entry into the 1976 US Open on the basis of a sex test. In late 1976 she competed in a couple of small US events in December. she won the right to enter the US Open in 1977 and was beaten by Virginia Wade in the first round but reached the doubles final with Bettyann Stuart.

Her highest rank was #20 in February of 1979 (probably after reaching the final of Seattle, losing to Chris Evert in 3 sets). She had wins over Hana Mandlikova, Wendy Turnbull, pam Shriver, And Virginia Ruzici.

"I get letters from people in their 40s who are considering having this operation, and I discourage all of them.....If you are 18 or 20 and are oriented in that direction, go ahead and make right what nature didn't. But if you are a 45 year old man.. and you have an ex-wife and 3 adolescent kids, you better get on Thorazine or Zoloft or Prozc or get locked up or do whatever it takes to keep you from being allowed to do something like this.

Avon of Seattle in '79 (beat Turnbull and took set off Chris Evert) and Pittsburgh later that year (lost easily to Sue Barker). Early in 1980 she was finalist to Kay McDaniel in the Avon Futures of Atlanta, losing 7-6 final set: probably the closest she came..). She reached a doubles final with Virginia Wade in '79 too and another with Sharon Walsh to go with her more publicised runners up berth at the 1977 US Open with Betty Ann Stuart and semi final in the Mixed there two years later with Ilie Nastase. I think her age increasingly went against her: the "World Of Tennis" yearbook for 1981 points out in her biography: 'by the end of 1980 she appeared to be slowing down in singles. Ranked 22 at the end of 1977, she slipped to 28 at end of 1978, 30 at end of 1979 and then 62 by end of 1980'.

Was there not some rule banning her from European tournaments? I am certain she never played Wimbledon. If she had been allowed into European events she might have gotten higher than 20. And when did she beat Pam and Hana?

1. Her age. A 20 something male turned female would have provoked total
outrage-and still would today.

Sources:

Richards, Renee. Second Serve, 1983.

Richards, Renee. No Way Renée: The Second Half of My Notorious Life. 2007

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9e_Richards

https://www.tennisforum.com/59-blast-past/97426-renee-richards.html (A Blast Thread about Renee)
https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7277665

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
STOLL, CAROLINE
United States
Born 04 November 1960 in Livingston, New Jersey
[Active 1976-1981]

Her extreme topspin defeated many a fellow female pro. Her shots were regularly bouncing over shoulders and heads. Stoll could run forever. Among her victims were top tenners such as Wendy Turnbull, Virginia Ruzici, Dianne Fromholtz and Regina Marsikova. In 1978 Stoll won 4 titles. A big win at the 1979 German Open saw her peak at #15 on the WTA computer that year.

Injuries and disenchantment with the tennis lifestyle of touring, she suddenly dropped off the tour to pursue a degree in accounting from Rutgers.

Titles (5):

1978: Futures of Ogden; Futures of Ft. Lauderdale; Montreal; Buenos Aires
1979: German Open

Finals (3):

1977: Port Washington; Pensecola
1979: Vienna

"I turned pro at 16, dropping out of high school in my junior year, and then spent almost four years traveling the tennis circuit. It was not the kind of life I thought it would be. I missed my family and was lonely and unhappy. The life style didn't appeal to me."-Stoll on why she left the tour at a young age.
Caroline later returned to tennis to teach. in 2010 she was a tennis pro at Murray Hill Health & Racquet Club in Providence, Rhode Island.

Sources:

Friedman, Charles "Why a rising star, now at Rutgers, gave up tennis". The New York Times, November 29, 1981.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroline_Stoll
https://www.itftennis.com/procircuit/players/player/profile.aspx?playerid=20003812
https://www.tennisforum.com/59-blast-past/369969-caroline-stoll.html

4881 - 4900 of 5401 Posts