Registered
6,383 Posts
LENDRUM, MARTHA (nee Martha Sheridan)
Australia
Born 21 February 1877 in County Mayo, Ireland
Died 28 April 1963 in Queensland, Australia
Married Francis John Lendrum on 11 January 1906 in Queensland
[Active circa 1918-25]

Francis Lendrum was also a lawn tennis player.

[Thanks to Newmark for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
SINCLAIR. LEAH (Leah Alice Sinclair)
Australia
Born in 1905
Died ????
Married (1) Robert Arthur Borrodaile Hughes in 1924 in Sydney; divorced
Married (2) Henry Hopebourn Brenneke on 15 December 1928 in Sydney
[Active circa 1918-25]

Leah Sinclair notably reached the final of the women's doubles event at the Queensland Championships in 1922 with Jessie Watson, who was also from New South Wales.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
STRAUSS, JANINE (nee Janine ????)
Israel
Born 16 November 1950 [probably in Durban, South Africa]
Married Dr Simon Strauss-1 son and 1 daughter
[Active 1974-1975]

Janine represented Israel in the 1974 and 1975 Federation Cups. She was raised in Durban, South Africa, obtained a degree from a university in Durban. Janine emigrated to Israel in 1971 and obtained a law degree in her adopted nation.
Israels 1R win in 1974 was the first time they made past the 1R in Fed Cup competition.

Ex-Fed Cup player recounts intensity of experience

The success of our modern day Fed Cup players conveys a subtle and empowering message that is influencing a whole generation of young girls.

By JANINE STRAUSS
April 27, 2008

In anticipation of the Fed Cup Tie against the Czech Republic, I find myself reliving my experiences as an Israeli Fed Cup player 34 years ago. And thinking how much has changed since then. I first competed in Naples, Italy in 1974, when all teams played in one World Group tournament. Israel drew Indonesia in the first round. Most of the players had lives outside of tennis. I was a law student; other players had day jobs and families. As I observe the intensive preparations of our Fed Cup players this week, I recall that we did not have the support services and training facilities taken for granted today. One only has to look at our Fed Cup team then - two new immigrants who learned their tennis abroad - my teammate Paulina Peled in the USSR and I in South Africa - to understand that there was no culture of tennis in Israel. We traveled alone, without captain, coach, psychologist, medical assistance, reserve players or even national uniforms for public appearances. All this changed after 1976 when the Israel Tennis Center built the first of its 14 cutting edge facilities in Ramat Hasharon, including the Canada Stadium, which has hosted Israel's national teams for 30 years and will soon undergo a major renovation. The success of our modern day Fed Cup players conveys a subtle and empowering message that is influencing a whole generation of young girls. Each and every one, irrespective of her background, looks at these role models and sees exciting options for herself to excel. Tears streamed down my cheeks uncontrollably as I held our flag in the opening ceremony in Naples, feeling so proud to represent Israel, the country I had chosen as home, even as a terrorist attack on Maalot had just taken place in Israel. Paulina won her singles match, and I knew I had to win mine, against a much higher ranked opponent, for Israel to get a first-ever Fed Cup victory. While there is a heady exhilaration to winning any tennis match, nothing equals winning for your country. So if anyone catches me with a far-away gaze as Shahar and Zipi win yet another match point, please understand. I will be back in Naples in 1974, replaying the match point I won for Israel so long ago.

Janine Strauss is CEO of Israel Tennis Center, a former Israel Women's Tennis Champion and Fed Cup player.

Sources:

https://www.jpost.com/Sports/Ex-Fed-Cup-player-recounts-intensity-of-experience
http://www.sdjewishworld.com/2010/10/11/janine-strauss-will-direct-global-affairs-for-nefesh-bnefesh/
http://www.collegetennisonline.com/WakeForestUniversity-M-Tennis/Player.aspx?plId=26106

[Thanks to Rollo for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
BRIDGFORD, DOROTHEA (nee Dorothea Maude Ganly)
Australia
Born circa 1900
Died 22 July 1988
Married John Gordon Bridgford on 30 December 1922 in Saint Lawrence's Church, Caboolture, Queensland
[Active circa 1922-30]

Dorothea Bridgford enjoyed particular success in the 1920s at the Hard Court Championships of Queensland tournament, where she was runner-up in the women's singles event in 1928 and 1929.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
OAKES, EVELYN
Australia
Born 04 January 1899 in Sydney
Died ????
Married Regner Olaf (‘Jack’) Cummings in 1926 in Sydney
[Active circa 1920-30]

Jack Cummings was also a lawn tennis player.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
BALLANTINE, CONSTANCE (Constance Margaret Neill Ballantine)
Australia
Born 26 October 1902 in Queensland
Died ????
Married Rolfe Latimer on 27 December 1928 in in Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Gladstone, Queensland
[Active circa 1922-28]

Sister of fellow lawn tennis player Phyllis Ballantine.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
BALLANTINE, PHYLLIS (Phyllis Estelle Marjorie Ballantine)
Australia
Born 28 March 1906 in Queensland
Died 19 July 1933
Married Andrew Valentine Shaw on 7 June 1932 in Saint Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Gladstone, Queensland
[Active circa 1925-30]

Sister of fellow lawn tennis players Constance Ballantine.

From 'The Brisbane Courier', July 22, 1933: DEATHS. SHAW.–On 19th July, 1933, at Gladstone, Phyllis Shaw (née Ballantine), beloved wife of Andrew V. (Pat) Shaw, of Rawbelle Stations, Monto.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
NEWTON, MARJORIE (nee Marjorie Jean Halliday)
Australia
Born 9 September 1897
Died 29 September 1982 in New South Wales
Married Alfred Harold Newton on 02 December 1922 in Adelaide
[Active circa 1920-30]

Alfred Newton was also a lawn tennis player.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
BYRNE , LORNA (nee Lorna Henderson)
Great Britain
Born 21 November 1917 in London, England
Died 92 September 2011 in London, England
Married Francis W. Byrne Q4 (Octoberto December) in 1940 Hailsham Sussex, England
[Active from at least 1949 to 1954]

Played singles at Wimbledon 1949 (qualified) 1950 and 1954.

Sources:

www.ancestry.co.uk
Wimbledon draws

[Thanks to Rosamund for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
EVANS, PHYLLIS (Phyllis Caitloch Evans)
Australia
Born 06 November 1900 in East Adelaide
Died 01 September 1997
Married Charles Roland Rischbieth on 24 April 1924 in Saint Peter’s College Chapel, Hackney, Adelaide
[Active circa 1919-24]

Phyllis Evans was the niece of another lawn tennis player, Roland Harcus Kelsey, who enjoyed a good deal of success at the Western Australia Championships in the years 1900-14.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
LEE, ETHEL (Ethel Edith Lee)
Australia
Born in 1894 in New South Wales
Died ????
Married Charles Kelleway on 11 March 1922 in Saint Philip’s Church, Church Hill, Sydney
[Active circa 1919-25]

Charles Kelleway played international cricket for Australia.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
MEYER, "CARRIE" (Carolyn Meyer)
United States
Born 22 August 1955
Married Patrick Richardson
[Active 1973-1980]

Took up the sport at the age of 12. A native of Indianapolis, she played college tennis for Marymount College in Florida. She won the Intercollegiate title as a freshman in 1974. Right after she turned pro-her first event was at Wimbledon.

1973: enter the mixed doubles at the US Open.

1974:

• Wimbledon Mixed Doubles Quarterfinalist (with Rayno Seegers) 1974
  • Guildford Surrey (England) Hardcourt Singles Champion 1974
  • U.S. National Clay Court Singles and Doubles Semifinalist 1974
1975: Ranked #14 at year's end-she a finalist at a big tour level event in Denver.

1977: Scottish Open champion.

1980: her last tour event was in December at Tuscon.

After retirement she was coach at Purdue from 1982-1984.

Author of: Allison, Maria T., and Carrie Meyer. 1988. "Career Problems and Retirement of Elite Athletes: The Female Tennis Player." Sociology of Sport Journal 5:212-22.

Meyer now lives outside Seattle with her husband Patrick and son Michael.

Carrie is in the center of the photo below:

In an indoor Avon event hitting an overhead

CARRIE MEYER RICHARDSON | ITA Women's Hall of Fame

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
GRAY, GRACE (Grace Louisa Gray)
Australia
Born 10 July 1896 in Goulburn, New South Wales
Died 15 April 1984
Married Arthur Robert William Littlewood Jones on 28 February 1923 in the Methodist Church, Goulburn
[Active circa 1918-22]

Sister of fellow lawn tennis player Annie Gray, with whom she enjoyed some success in women’s doubles events.

[Thanks to Newmark for this infomation]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
JOHNSON, LESLEY (Lesley Katherine Johnson)
New Zealand/Australia
Born 22 June 1900 in Timaru, Southern Canterbuy, New Zealand
Died in January 1977
Married Ivo Cumberland Fraser Agnew on 28 February 1922 in Saint James’s Church, Launceston
[Active circa 1918-25]

Lesley Johnson was notably runner-up in the mixed doubles event at the Tasmanian Championships in 1921 with her brother Eric. She was also runner-up in the women’s doubles event at the same tournament in 1922 with Caroline (Propsting) Butler.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
SODUPE,NIURKA
United States
Born 19 April 1969 in Miami, Florida
[Active 1985-1992]

Daughter of Cuban Immigrants. she started tennis at the age of 7 (some sources indicated age 5).
Runner up to Katarina Maleeva at the 1984 US Juniors.
Played singles in 4 Grand Slams between French 1986 and French 1988.
Highest singles ranking was 108 on 9th June 1986.

Sodupe played a baseline type of game reminiscent of Chris Evert.

As at October 2018, has been Director and Head Coach at Tennis Advantage of Miami since May 1993.

Sources:

her linkedin account.
1989 WTA Media guide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niurka_Sodupe
Tennis Advantage Of Miami - Who Are We

[Thanks to Rosamund for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
CUFF, NANCY (Nancy Gordon Cuff)
Australia
Born 01 June 1904 in Launceston, Tasmania
Died 22 September 1940 in Launceston, Tasmania
Married Harold Gervase (‘Bill’) Doolan on 6 February 1930 in the Church of the Apostles, Launceston, Tasmania
[Active circa 1924-30]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KLITCH, JENNY (Jenny L. Klitch)
United States
Born 19 April 1965 in Columbus, Ohio.
Married Brad Sprayberry by 2010
[Active 1982-1988 and 2018 ]

Daughter of a tennis pro from Columbus, Ohio.

Active in the 1980's playing in 12 Grand Slam singles between the French 1982 and US 1985. Best performance was reaching the 3rd round of the French of 1984 losing to Carling Bassett. Won Nashville 1984. Highest singles ranking was 50 in November 1984.

Later worked for Octagon Sports Management and latterly a lawyer for Gunster in Palm Beach County Florida. She has retained her maiden name after marriage.

Active in seniors tennis in 2018, she also entered a couple of ITF level events in Florida.

See below for entry on the forum below posted 8th January 2018

Originally Posted by Jem
Longtime tennis fans may remember Jenny Klitch, who played in the 1980s. Klitch won a WTA title in Nashville, Tennessee, and reached the third round of the French one year. Noticed today that the now 52-year-old Klitch played the qualies at the $25,000 Daytona Beach challenger! She lost 2 and 2 to the No. 4 seed from Japan. Still pretty cool -- shows that tennis truly is the sport for a lifetime!
Sources:

Jenny's linkedin account.
1989 WTA Media Guide.
Palm Beach Post 8th March 2010 at: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/business/moving-jenny-klitch-leading-sports-law-practice-gunster-law-firm/ZX2XOi4AT2zj7hKUJLJsYL/
Wikipedia
http://archivesdutennisfeminin.over-blog.com/2014/12/jenny-klitch-et-renata-baranski.html

[Thanks to Rosamund for this information and Binoxial for the photo]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
KROSHINA, MARINA (Marina Vasilyevna Kroshina) (In Russian Марина Васильевна Крошина)
Soviet Union (Ukraine)
Born 18 April 1953 in Alma-Ata (now Almaty), Kazakhstan, Soviet Union
Died 04 July 2000 in Kiev, Ukraine
Married Lolly Gennadievich Syrota (born 1948) in 1972
Alternate spelling of name: Kroschina
[Active 1970-1981]

Her mother was a chess champion in Central Asia; Kroshina's father was an architect.

1971 Wimbledon girls champion
1972 European Amateur champion
1981 USSR champion

She was in the shadow of Olga Morozova for most of her career. Blonde, cute, and feminine, she garnered a good amount of attention on her looks alone. She set the bar high by winning the Wimbledon juniors in 1971. Tennis wise the results never came together.

Badly injured in the final of the USSR Championship in 1971, she was carrried off the court by a young man who she fell in love with. This romance with Lolly Syrota led her to relocate to Donetsk (in the Ukraine) in 1972. Marina wed Lolly soon after ending a relationship with Soviet film star Nikita Mikhalkov.

“What a little devil! Wherever you hit - and she is already there, waiting for the ball! ”-Chris Evert on playing Kroshina in 1973
She competed at Wimbledon as an adult from 1970 to 1974. Despite never living up to high expectations Marina had solid results. She was ranked #25 for 1975 by the WTA computer. 1975 was her last year of international tennis. She was still only in her mid 20s when Soviet tennis authorities restricted their players from competing abroad after 1976.

Kroshina earned a degree in journalism from the University of Kiev. After tennis Kroshina coached children. In 1993 she authored a book titles "My Tennis" on how to play tennis. Her life ended on July 4 2000 when she threw herself out the window of her Kiev apartment. The reason for her suicide is not known. Her husband Lolly was with her at the time. Buried in Kiev at Baykovo Cemetery.

The cover from her book "My Tennis"

Sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina_Kroschina
??? ?????? ??????? ?? ????????? ????? ?????
https://kp.ua/life/448953-tainy-zhyzny-y-smerty-lehendy-sovetskoho-sporta-maryny-kroshynoi

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
DIMOND, JENNY
Australia
Born 13 November 1955 in Sydney, New South Wales
Married Alvin Gardiner in 1976
Height: 5' 7"
Played: Righthanded
[Active 1973-1976, 1978-1978]

Won minor events at Wolverhampton and Llanelli in 1974. Ranked #17 in Australia for 1974.
Finalist at Western Australian in Perth in early 1980.

Competed at Wimbledon from 1974 to 1976. Her best result in a slam came at Wimbledon in 1975, where she lost 6-2 6-4 in the last 16 to eventual finalist Evonne Goolagong.

Grew up in Caringbah, NSW. Coached by Ross Sherriff and her father , a former rugby league player.

Dropped off tour after marriage to return in 1978 under her maiden name.

Sources:

1980 WTA Media Guide. Page 155.
http://tennishistory.com.au/2010/02/australian-top-10-rankings-men-women/

[Thanks to Jimbo and Rollo for this information]

4841 - 4860 of 5401 Posts