Tennis Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 5401 Posts

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
GOLDBERG,ADRIENNE
United States
Born 5th February 1930 Baltimore.
Married (1) Harold Ayares (08 June 1923-29 May 1974) by 16th January 1948 as on passenger list from Bermuda to New York that day.
Married (2) Edward Hoffman (b.26nd February 1922 d. 23rd November 2003) circa 1968
[Active 1946 to at least 1961]

Played singles US Championships 1946,47,49,1950, 1958 and 1959.

As player and coach, tennis is the continuum in Hoffman's life
February 27, 2000 issue of the Baltimore Sun|By JOHN STEADMAN

What Adrienne Goldberg Hoffman teaches on a tennis court is the embodiment of what she learned in competition, from observation and, of course, what her father told her as a little girl who grew up to be one of Maryland's most renowned female players.

She came from a quiet, hard-working background, a family that was refined and respected, a product of the public courts at Druid Hill and Clifton parks. The first tournament she entered as a child was at Suburban Country Club, and because the Goldbergs didn't own a car, she got there by streetcar.

"I was so impressed with Suburban Club, I thought I was in Hollywood," she recalled. "My father was so elated when my name was listed in the results, he bought 20 copies of the newspaper."

Ultimately, she played at Forest Hills in the nationals "eight or nine times." As a junior player, she was ranked fourth in the nation, and then, after being away from the game for almost eight years to devote herself to raising a family, she earned 18th position in the women's listings.

She asserted herself quickly in the comeback, establishing a reputation as a formidable player in Eastern and Southern competition.

This was all prelude to what she has been doing the past 30 years: teaching what seems to be half the tennis population of Baltimore.

Her greatest moment in the sport? Being selected for the Maccabean Games and walking into that packed stadium at Tel Aviv in 1961.

"I was 31 years old then, the first woman tennis player ever picked, and reached the finals," she says. "Thirty-three countries were represented. To hear our national anthem was a moving experience, one I will never forget."

Her first trip to Forest Hills was beset with complications. Her invitation never arrived in the mail, but Hoffman had gone with her parents and sister Judy on a short visit, just to be in the crowd and view the proceedings. A Philadelphia sportswriter saw her and inquired how she had fared in the first round.

"I didn't know what he was talking about," she recalled. "Then he told me my name was on the pairing board. And there it was, only I defaulted by not being there at the appointed time. I found the girl I was supposed to meet, Ann Gray, and she agreed to forget the default and play anyhow, which was quite gracious. The officials approved. But I had to borrow a racket, dress, socks and shoes. What a way to start at Forest Hills. I lost but wasn't disappointed."

In the process, she probably set some kind of a record in playing Forest Hills in a debut match with all borrowed equipment. At the time, only she and Toby Greenberg were young Jewish players of prominence, because most of the women, but not all, were from privileged and elitist backgrounds. And, yes, she met with anti-Semitic remarks in some settings but merely considered the source.

"I wanted to go to Rollins College or the University of Miami for tennis, but in those days they didn't give women scholarships for sports. Instead, I won an academic scholarship to Goucher, where they didn't have a tennis team. Yet after I announced I was getting married, the scholarship was taken away, and I had to pay my remaining tuition."

Still, no regrets or hard feelings. There was a quiet tenacity to the way she met the challenges, graduating Phi Beta Kappa. At Western High, she had been a brilliant student, plus an undefeated No. 1 player.

Hoffman can't say enough good things about Pam Shriver and what she has achieved.

"Pam is very bright and has done much for the game in so many ways," she said. "I can tell you from firsthand observation, she is beloved in England."

In her teaching schedule at the Greenspring Racquet Club, she coaches women, most inexperienced, and brings them along to play and enjoy the game.

"I'd describe what I do as a type of teaching -- no gimmicks or mechanical tricks. I preach to `play within yourself,' to use your head, and to use whatever enables you to win. I've seen players make beautiful shots in practice, maybe hitting 15 great volleys, but then when the scoring starts, they're lucky to hit seven or eight."

Many of the neophytes she introduced to the sport tell her that for the first time they are doing something for themselves, learning the game and making friends within the group.

She is troubled upon seeing too many parents putting pressure on their children to excel.

"I like to think what my father told me as a child carries so much merit," and quickly explains: "He always said, `Never let the boundaries of the court be your boundaries for life.' "

Hoffman has an engaging personality, is in extraordinary physical condition, and only rarely talks about the past.

She will talk, only when prompted, about how it was to face the likes of Maureen "Little Mo" Connolly, Doris Hart, Laura Lou Jahn, Beverly Baker, Nancy Chaffee and Doris Newcomer.

Sources:

USLTA Yearbook 1949

As player and coach, tennis is the continuum in Hoffman's life, by John Steadman, Baltimore Sun, February 27, 2000
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2000-02-27/sports/0002280293_1_hoffman-forest-hills-tennis

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/200...-ii-root-canal

[Thanks to Rosamund for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
HEATLEY, ELIZABETH (nee Elizabeth Lunt)
United Kingdom
Born 27 Jul 1860 in Shavington
Died
Married Herbert Thomas Heatley on 7 February 1884 in Wolstanton, Staffordshire, England
[Active circa 1895-1914.]

Elizabeth (Lunt) Heatley does not appear to have taken part in many, or any, lawn tennis tournaments under her maiden name. Herbert Heatley, a bank manager by professsion, played some competitive tennis, too.

The marriage produced one child, a daughter called Bertha, who was born in 1900.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
ADAMS,"PAT" (nee Patricia Rappell)
Canada
Born 20th February 1924 Ottawa
Died 23 May 2000 in South Carolina, US
Married Rufus “Jack” Adams (born 5th July 1920) by December 1943.
[Active 1941 to 1948]

Played singles 1946 US Championships

Ranked in top 10 Canadian singles 1946 to 1948. Her husband Jack Adams was a footballer.

Tragically both her and her husband were killed in a traffic accident at Newberry South Carolina 23rd May 2000.

Sources:

1991 Tennis Canada Yearbook

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
TURBER, SARA MAE (nee Sara Mae Graham)
United States
Born 24th February 1919 Princeton
Died 28th April 2005 Fort Myers Florida
Married Charles Franklin Turber
[Active in 1940s to at least 1957]

Played singles US Championships 1953,1954,1955 and 1957.

October 1966 Tennis instructor municipal courts Delray Beach

July 1971 Teaching pro. Pineapple Beach Club, St Thomas, Virgin Islands.

Sources: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=123161375
local.evpl.org/views/viewimage.asp?ID=1117586

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
THEOPOLD, HARRIET(nee Harriet Elizabeth Royce)
United States
Born 19 June 1904 in Dedham, Massachesetts.
Married Philip Huntington Theopold (1902-1989) on 16 June 1928.
[Active 1940s]

Mrs Philip Theopold participated in many New England events in the 1940s, as well as the US Nationals.

Children:

1. Anne Huntington, b. November 27, 1929.
2. Harriet Royce, b. September 29, 1931.
3. Jean Ames, b. December 28, 1933.
4. Karen, b. December 01, 1935.
5. Freda, b. December 01, 1935.

Sources: http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com...ENE2-0013.html

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
SCHLICHTER, HELEN (nee Helen Sidney Ehret)
United States
Born 12 October 1888 (in Wayne County, Ohio or Philadelphia)
Died in 1926.
Married (1) Isaac Schlichter Jr (circa 1888-Dec 1918) on 08 November 1913 at Edgewater Park, Burlington Co., New Jersey
Married (2) Clayton Gilbert Dixon (1880-1959) 04 January 1922 in New york city, New York.

Mrs Isaac Schlichter Jr competed at the 1916 US Nationals. Often listed as Mrs I S Schlichter. In 1920 she competed Gertrude Ehret in the US National doubles.

Remarried around 1922 and probably divorced, as Mr Dixon was on wife #4 by 1936. Helen was his second wife. Their daughter Helen Satterwaithe Dixon was born Oct 20, 1923

Sources:

http://www.pennock.ws/surnames/fam/fam52098.html

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...GRid=118944740

http://genforum.genealogy.com/dixon/messages/6597.html

Source:The Philadelphia Inquirer; Date: 02-20-1918; Vol: 178; Iss: 51; Pg: 7

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
LEWICKI, ELAINE (Elaine Marie Lewicki)
United States
Born 18th February 1933 Hamtramck Michigan

Played singles US Championships 1948 to 1952 inclusive. Elaine won the 1950 USTA Girls’ Sportsmanship Trophy Award. Her coach was the famous Jean Hoxie.

Source USLTA Yearbook 1949

Image from the Baltimore Sun archives:

[Thanks to Rosamund for this infomration]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
LI, NA
China
Born 26 February 1982
Married to Jiang Shan on 27 Jan 2006
[Active 1996- 2014]

2011 French and 2014 Australaian Open champion. Her success and China's economic rise have together resulted in several WTA events basing themselves in China.

Career Statistics

Singles record 503–188 (72.79%)
Singles titles 9 WTA, 19 ITF
Highest ranking No. 2 (17 February, 2014)

Doubles record 121–50
Doubles titles 2 WTA, 16 ITF
Highest ranking No. 54 (28 August, 2006)

Sources:

Li, Na (2014). Li Na: My Life. Penguin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Na

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
MENCHER,BONNIE
United States
Born 04 April 1941
Married Bob Aliazzo

Played singles 1957,1958 and 1960 US Championships

Later an attorney in Huntington New York.

D-O-B from search.ancestry.com

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
GILDER. Miss G.J (G. J Gilder)
United Kingdom

[The person below is probably the most likely candidate for "Miss G.J. Gilder", but no direct link to lawn tennis found for her.]

Gilder, Gladys Josephine
United Kingdom
Born 13 January 1897 in Bakewell, Derbyshire
Died in 1982 in Bromley, Kent
Did not marry.
[Active circa 1926-1928]

Played Wimbledon from 1926 to 1928. Her singles record was 0-2. In doubles it 1-2.

Sources
:

Archive - Draws Archive : G.J. Gilder - 2015 Wimbledon Championships Website - Official Site by IBM

[Thanks to Newmark for information on posible identity of this player]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
EVERARD, CHARLOTTE (Charlotte Mabel Everard)
United Kingdom
Born in 1875 in Lancashire
Died 3 October 1933 in Llandudno, Wales
Did not marry.
[Active circa 1900-1920]

From "The London Gazette", 21 November 1933: "ALL persons having any claims against the estate of Charlotte Mabel Everard, late of 31, Clifton Road, Llandudno, in the county of Caernarvon, Spinster, who died on the 3rd day of October, 1933, are hereby required to send particulars thereof, in writing, to the undersigned, on or before the 21st day of January, 1934, after which date the executors will proceed to distribute the estate, having regard only to the claims of which, they shall then have had notice. Dated this 17th day of November, 1933. CHAMBERLAIN and CO., Llandudno, Solicitors for the Executors."

Her sister Laura was also a lawn tennis competitor.

Charlotte was active at least until 1920, when she played Wimbledon as Miss C.M. Everard.

[Thanks to Newmark for this information]

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
EVERARD, LAURA (Laura Mildred Everard)
United Kingdom
Born in 1879 in Lancashire
Died in 1954 in Denbighshire
Did not marry.
[Active circa 1900-14]

Less successful sister of Charlotte Everard. Both sisters spent their later years living in Wales.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
HOLLINS, FLORA (Flora Paget Hollins)
United Kingdom
Born 29 May 1880 in Liverpool
Died 21 March 1964
Married John Alfred Lenox Figgis on 18 July 1909 in Saint Pauls' Church, Prince's Park, Liverpool
[Active circa 1905-10]

Flora (Hollins) Figgis was the finalist for the singles title at the 1909 edition of the Teignmouth, Devon, tournament. It is possible that she was on honeymoon at this time. She and her husband, the Irish-born player John Figgis, won the mixed doubles event together at the same tournament.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
RIELLEY, SALLIE ANN
United States
Born 24th October 1936 Kansas City Missouri
Married George Joseph Frye (born 4th March 1932) 25th July 1959 in Jackson,Missouri

Played singles 1953 and 1954 US Championships

Later retired consultant Frye Electronics Inc.

2014 living in Portland Oregon.

Sources:

1952 USLTA Yearbook
Also search.ancestry.com and tennislink.usta.com

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
HARKLEROAD, ASHLEY
United States
Born 02 May 1985 in Rossville, Georgia
Height: 5' 5" (1.65 m)
Plays: Right handed with a two-handed backhand.
Married (1) Alex Bogomolov, Jr. in December 2004-they divorced in October 2006.
Married (2) Chuck Adams circa 2008 or 2009.
[Active 1999-2010]

More famous for her Playboy spread in August of 2008. Ashley was also the one-time girlfriend of Andy Roddick. This tended to overshadow her tennis.
Her best tour result was reaching the 2004 final at Auckland.

As of 2014 she was a TV comentator for the Tennis Channel in the US.

[From the WTA site]

Husband and coach is Chuck Adams ... Father, Danny, works in printing industry and played college football at University of Tennessee; mother, Tammy, is a teacher (played college tennis at Freed-Hardeman University, also in Tennessee); son's name is Charlie ... Got nickname 'Pebbles' while living in Flintstone, Georgia, a small town with no traffic lights ... Enjoys listening to music by Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera.

Career Statistics

Singles matches-----213 wins and 140 defeats. (8 ITF titles)
Doubles matches-----97 wins and 77 defeats (5 ITF titles)

Career best singles ranking was #39 (09-Jun-2003)
Career best doubles ranking was #39 (29-Jan-2007)

Sources:

http://www.wtatennis.com/players/player/3611

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Harkleroad

3161 - 3180 of 5401 Posts