Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on tennisweek. Figured at least starr would enjoy it, seeing as she was posting his interviews last week.

He speaks quite highly of Agassi, Moya, and Kuerten. Not that this is overly surprising or anything, just noting it.

Anyhow, here ya go:

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=8756&bannerregion=

Biofile: The Guillermo Coria Interview

By Scoop Malinowski
05/19/2003

His nickname is "Magic" and Guillermo Coria has used his slick sleight-of-hand shots to make opponents disappear during his recent clay court surge. The 12th seeded Coria captured his first career Tennis Masters Series crown with a 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 conquest of compatriot Agustin Calleri yesterday to become the first Argentine since Guillermo Vilas in 1978 to win the Hamburg championship.

"It's unbelievable, it feels like a dream," Coria said. "I don't want to wake up from this dream."

It was the second productive performance in a Masters Series tournament for Coria, who beat Jose Acasuso, James Blake, Rafael Nadal, Juan Ignacio Chela and Carlos Moya before falling to 2002 French Open finalist Juan Carlos Ferrero in the Monte Carlo final. Prior to his successful run in Monte Carlo, Coria reached the round of 16 on hard courts at the Pacific Life Open in Indian Wells and took the first set off top-ranked Lleyton Hewitt before falling, 6-7(3), 6-4, 6-3.

He grew up idolizing Andre Agassi and on clay, Coria has emerged as one of the game's top players. Runner-up to Moya in the Buenos Aires final, Coria has compiled a 27-9 record overall (18-4 on clay). The seventh-ranked Coria has emerged as a contender for Roland Garros, which begins on Monday.

Status: Captured his first career Masters Series title with a 6-3, 6-4, 6-4 conquest of compatriot Agustin Calleri to become the first Argentine since Guillermo Vilas in 1978 to win the Hamburg championship. Currently ranked seventh, the Tennis Masters Series-Monte Carlo finalist has emerged as a top contender for Roland Garros, which begins next Monday.

Height: 5-foot-9 inches Weight: 143 pounds.

Born On: January 13th, 1982 in Rufino, Argentina.

Childhood Heroes: "Agassi."

Nicknames: "El Mago — magic. Chino — Chinese."

Hobbies/Interests: "I like to play soccer and listen to music."

Early Tennis Memory: "When I won Roland Garros in juniors (beat compatriot David Nalbandian in the 1999 final)."

Funny Tennis Memory: "I lost my wallet with all the prize money — $3,000. I lost it at the U.S. Open two years ago. I lost it on the bus. No, I never found it [laughs]."

Pre-Match Feeling: "Before the match I think about the match, what I will do on the court. Concentrate on those things. What I need is to be able to step on the court knowing that if I do my best, I can go far in the tournament. Sometimes I lack confidence in my game, lack trusting my game."

Favorite Meal: "Meat asado. A special meat dish in Argentina."

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: "Vanilla — I like a lot."

Favorite Movies: "Rocky I, II, III, IV, V [laughs]."

Musical Tastes: "Guns & Roses."

Greatest Sports Moment: "To me? When I won my first ATP tournament in Vina Del Mar, Chile (February 2001). Because it was my first dream in tennis, to win my first ATP title. (Coria defeated compatriot Gaston Gaudio in the final 4-6, 6-2, 7-5; after also beating a solid corps of clay-courters including Calleri, Alex Calatrava, Feliciano Lopez and Mariano Zabaleta.)"

Most Painful Moment: "When I was involved in the doping charge (in 2002)."

Closest Tennis Friends: "I'm okay with all the Argentine players."

Funniest Players: "Carlos Moya from Spain. Moya always is happy. And he won a lot of tournaments and money and he's always in a good mood. And also Gustavo Kuerten, he's a great person."

Toughest Competitors: "Agassi. He plays very steady. He's very strong. He plays all the points very well."

Favorite Vacation Spot: "Buenos Aires. My favorite city in the world."

People Qualities Most Admired: "They will be happy and don't speak wrong about the other people."

Scoop Malinowski is a Tennisweek.com contributor. Please check out his website www.TheBiofile.com.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
no wonder i love Coria -- we admire the same players for the same reason! ;) and here's the photo on the RG website where he is for now the star.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Come on, he even says he likes all the Rocky movies! What further evidence of his similarity to Hewitt do you need?

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol... ok so he likes Rocky movies... Let's wait until we have evidence that he listens to "eye of the tiger" before matches to decide whether he and Hewitt are kindred spirits ;)

Lindsayfan - ok... so he has bad taste in music ;) I'm able to forgive that. As long as he doesn't like to watch tv shows as lame as "Everybody Loves Raymond" which I would highly doubt they get in Argentina anyhow, then he's in the clear with me.

Overall, his choice of movie and musical group is still better than Ferrero's...then again, I think that just about anybody's would be.

TC - Thanks for the pic. There was an article that mentioned him on the site, which I'm assuming you were making reference to!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts