Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to this article from Sportsline.com, this is what Billie Jean said:

King said she'll use the world rankings to choose her semifinal team, going down the list until she gets a team. She didn't have to go far when she got both Williams sisters to play in the first round in April, but the team that faced Italy wasn't assembled until the last possible moment.

This will be interesting. Now that Billie Jean has relaxed the coaching rule, will:

1. Billie Jean really do what she says and call Capriati to play.
2. Will they be able to put there scuttle behind them?
3. Will Jennifer say "Yes".

I think they both are very strong willed and will need to just put it under the bridge and move on. Would love to see Jennifer back on the team!

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
She won't need to call Jenny if the American players ranked above her accept the spots. If it came down to Capriati, I don't think she'd play she seems like the type who believes the old saying once bitten twice shy.

I don't think the single coach rule is bad, and it helps the players gel as a team.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems to me that Jennifer would be more likely to play then Lindsay. Lindsay has had a chronic injury and her conflict with BJK is still fresh :).

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
DannerCal said:
Seems to me that Jennifer would be more likely to play then Lindsay. Lindsay has had a chronic injury and her conflict with BJK is still fresh :).
Assuming that Venus and Serena are on the team and Lindsay isn't, I would just as soon go with Lisa Raymond and Meghann Shaughnessy due to the simple fact that they've played Fed Cup doubles together before. If Belgium wants to win this tie, Kim and Justine are going to have to win three of the four singles matches, because they won't win the doubles. Venus and Serena have won six majors together, and Raymond is one of the greatest pure doubles players of all time; if she can win with Alex Stevenson, she can win with ANYONE. If either or both Williams sisters are unavailable, then of course we're going to need Jennifer, but if Venus and Serena are on the team, Billie Jean can hold off on the groveling a little while longer. ;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Does anyone apart from Billie Jean really care about Fed Cup anyway?

·
Banned
3,628 Posts
If either of the sisters is unavailable, I think Monica, provided her injuries are healed, will get a call up before Jennifer. I am sure BJK will do her best to avoid including Jenn in the team, and I wouldn't blame her too.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
yeah you guys are assuming serena and venus will be availiable to play. I'm thinking they are 40% likely. BJK better starting thinking about a plan b for taking out belgium.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Fed Cup? Ooh, I love Fed Cup. I also love Jen, but sadly the 2 don't go together. Anyway, I'm not worried...at worst I'll come back and play. I'm still in great shape and put fear into players the moment I step onto court.

Now where did I put that Big Mac..?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think Venus and Serena decline (and i dont think they will to be honest), she should try her best to get Jennifer and Linzi on the team because against the belgians, no other americans stand a chance.

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
I have a feeling Jen would do it...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Jen doesnt stand a chance against the belgians :confused:

·
In my new place!!
22,955 Posts
Well Im sure she fucks herself alot, but... hahaha!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Do you guys think Jen will be playing the Olympics next year? If she wants to play, can Billie deny her if she is ranked high enough??

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Billiy can TRY and stop Jen from joining the olympics team...but if she did and Jen REALLY wanted to play, she would try and get Billy kicked off the coaching team or she could appeal the decision with the olympics commitee or the USTA...

Either way jen can STILL play in Athens if she wanteds too...and if Billy knows whats best for her coaching career shell let Jen on the Olympic team...or else im betting Jen will try and Get Billy sacked!

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
as for your Question Malin, im not quite sure weither Billy would let Jen play for the olympics...she might because of her ranking and the fact that she is a former Gold Medalist, but like i said, billy might not have any say over that if Jen gets the USTA and the Olympic commitee into the mix, arguing that Billy is unfairly barring her from competing in an event which promotes FAIR PLAY...

That would then lead to pressure onto Billy, if she still refuses she could be replaced!

(its happened before!)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The rule is that Jenn needs to make herself available for 2 out of the following years (2001/2002/2003/2004) and having played as a consequence in either 2003 or 2004.

This leaves a decision for the Olympics open till the FedCup edition of 2004 if BJK decides to take anyone else but rather not Jenn. Those who talk about Monica, I think that Monica is no candidate in FedCup as long as her injury drops her ranking. She´s definetly a candidate as I doubt Lindsay will return to the Olympics next year and Rubin might have had her best year, but for the Olympics 2004 there are a number of players in the US hot as hell:

- Venus
- Serena
- Monica
- Jenn
- Chanda
- Lisa
- Meghann

The problem for Lisa, once again, might be that if Lindsay retires or isn´t playing FedCup anymore and therefore out for Athens, she has NO doubles partner and the Williams won 6 big events+GOLD !?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts