Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information on these previous Fed Cup incidents involving Billie Jean King?

In 1996, she kicked Gigi Fernandez off the Fed Cup team for some reason.

The same year I think Amy Frazier swore she'd never play Fed Cup again. I'm not sure what exactly Billie Jean King did in that case.

This was the same year, BJK tried to get to the USOC to petition the IOC to give Jennifer Capriati a wildcard to the Olympics as the defending champion.

If anyone has any information, please share :wavey:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Zummi said:
Does anyone have any information on these previous Fed Cup incidents involving Billie Jean King?

In 1996, she kicked Gigi Fernandez off the Fed Cup team for some reason.

The same year I think Amy Frazier swore she'd never play Fed Cup again. I'm not sure what exactly Billie Jean King did in that case.

This was the same year, BJK tried to get to the USOC to petition the IOC to give Jennifer Capriati a wildcard to the Olympics as the defending champion.

If anyone has any information, please share :wavey:
I forget what the problem with GiGi was but Amy was upset that Billie had Jen on the team over other higher ranked players including herself.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
where are you Rollo? ;)

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
If memory serves, the incident with Gigi involved BJ's concerns over her relationship with Conchita.

The incident with Amy was when the US ran short of players due to injuries and, instead of calling up the next player in line on the ranking list (Amy), BJ called Jen, who was on vacation at the time and cut it short to play. I believe the tie was to be played on clay, which was King's reason for picking Jen over Amy. Even though Jen was struggling to get her game back on track, BJ figured her a better choice for clay than Amy, given their respective career records on the surface. IIRC, Jen actually lost both of her singles matches, which only made Amy more mad.

·
25,368 Posts
All the old suspects are here I see :)

Just want to back up Brian's account of Gigi being left off the team because of her relationship with Conchita. The US smacked Spain 5-0 in the 1996 Fed Cup finals played before perhaps 1,500 fans. It was perhaps theleast watched Fed Cup final in history :sad:

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Why would BJK kick Gigi off for having a relationship with Conchita? I mean there has to be more to it than that....

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Czechfan said:
Why would BJK kick Gigi off for having a relationship with Conchita? I mean there has to be more to it than that....
One played for America, the other Spain?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Czechfan said:
I think the idea behind it was that if Gigi had to play Conchita in an important deciding match then she might not play as competitively as she would against someone she was not having a relationship with.

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
billie shouldn't be getting involved in player relationships and making personally-charged decisions.

that's an incredible act on her part, underestimating the ability/motivation of one of her own team players. it seems billie thinks the worst of her players. a good captain thinks the best, until proven otherwise.

if i was Gigi, i'd have been incensed at getting kicked off for simply being in a long-term relationship with a member of the opposing team.

billie has had conflicting/difficult relationships herself, with women. she should make certain that she holds back from judging other people's relationships to be as twisted as some of her own. but no, she imposes her relationship-view and takes drastic action, again to the disadvantage of the team. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Wow, that shocks me, Baleinau I think a lot of your posts on BJK are full or petty narrow mindedness (no offence lol), but your post here is spot on..

I think BJK was harsh to Gigi if thats what the reason was, jeez I have the utmost respect for BJK but also realise she has faults, and this is pretty surprising..

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
Czechfan said:
I think BJK was harsh to Gigi if thats what the reason was, jeez I have the utmost respect for BJK but also realise she has faults, and this is pretty surprising..
it was surprising at the time. Gigi was not really high profile enough for it to attract too much controversy tough, and because it was a lesbian issue, the media shyed away a little bit. i think billie thought of Gigi as expendable.

i speculate, but i think a lot of billie's decisions are clouded by sexuality matters. perhaps gigi turned her down? i always suspected conchita turned martina n down, which is why martina n keeps bringing up conchita's name in a negative way whenever she gets the opportunity.

·
Banned
947 Posts
Czechfan said:
i don't approve of what king did but it was no secret that fernandez and martinez did NOT enjoy opposing each other, even if it was just fed cup. for example, it was speculated at the 1994 us open that martinez tanked her 3rd round match against ginger helgeson because if martinez won, she would have had to face gigi in the round of 16. also, at the 1994 wimbledon, gigi had her chances in the second set against navratilova in the semi's but seemed to back off due to a conflict of interest (navratilova's a friend and if gigi won, she would've faced martinez in the final).

·
Diosa Contable
2,945 Posts
Yes, BJK excluded Gigi Fernandez from the team due to her "personal" relationship with Conchita Martinez. It was announced here in Spain as a poor decision by BJK and almost celebrated by the press, since it felt as if BJK was probably compromising her doubles team due to her own personal point of view.

Regarding the tanking stuff, I think BJK made the wrong decision not only because she was biased and unfair but also because if it had come to the doubles rubber, and no offense to anyone, but I think past experience shows that Conchita was far more likely to tank than Gigi, so she could had had an edge on Conchita by having Gigi on the team. So I can't really justify her decision as anything but poor judgement.

BJK has made plenty of questionable calls through the years, she just gets away with it because the US Fed Cup team is so deep and so good, you can choose virtually ANY team with the US players and still win, what is it now? 6 US players in the top12? *I* could do a fair job as US Fed Cup captain ;)

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
"i speculate, but i think a lot of billie's decisions are clouded by sexuality matters. perhaps gigi turned her down? i always suspected conchita turned martina n down, which is why martina n keeps bringing up conchita's name in a negative way whenever she gets the opportunity"

What a load of crap, as if Martina would be attracted to Conchita and her 'perceived' lazy work ethic, the one thing that Martina cant stand is wasted potential, and she see's that in Conchita.

And I find it extremly doubtful that BJK having been BURNT badly from the Marliyn whoever scandal would be so stupid as to 'hit' on a member of the team she is captaining, - ignoring the fac that BJK is about 20 years older!!!!!! Your 'speculation' is based on delusion.

·
Senior Member,
2,918 Posts
Czechfan said:
"i speculate, but i think a lot of billie's decisions are clouded by sexuality matters. perhaps gigi turned her down? i always suspected conchita turned martina n down, which is why martina n keeps bringing up conchita's name in a negative way whenever she gets the opportunity"

What a load of crap, as if Martina would be attracted to Conchita and her 'perceived' lazy work ethic, the one thing that Martina cant stand is wasted potential, and she see's that in Conchita.

And I find it extremly doubtful that BJK having been BURNT badly from the Marliyn whoever scandal would be so stupid as to 'hit' on a member of the team she is captaining, - ignoring the fac that BJK is about 20 years older!!!!!! Your 'speculation' is based on delusion.
i was just offering a psycho-social-sexual perspective on the motivatons behind some of these decisions. call it experimental thinking. call it brainstorming. but don't call it delusional. i wasn't saying it like it was fact, or didn't mean to imply it was fact.

i really think the martina attacking conchita thing goes further than what you say. conchita nearly always beat martina (4-1 H2H) and I think there was something more personal. martina wanted gigi, but gigi wanted conchita? something like that.........

so, please, allow me the liberty to speculate. it brings new lines of enquiry to the surface and closes others. its useful, and the only thing WTA posters can do in some circumstances.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have no idea about Billie Jean's personal life, but I think anyone who thinks lesbian issues don't sometimes play a role in women's tennis is ignoring reality.

The incident concerning GiGi Fernandez did happen and Fernandez, of course, was probably one of the two best doubles players in the world at the time. I personally don't think she would have tanked under any circumstances, any more than Conchita would have tanked.

Again, Billie Jean accomplished probably more for women's tennis than anyone else in many ways. But that does not mean she is perfect.

As a matter of fact, she appears to be dictatorial and in some cases, highly self serving in her operation of the Fed Cup team.

Not allowing Meghann and Stevenson to play a dead rubber was just plain unfair and hypocritical of her and Stevenson, who is a fairly nice girl, but not a great player in my mind, deserves credit for finally speaking out. Many are afraid to criticize King publicly, because the press is usually quick to jump to her defense.

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Interesting theory, at least the one about Martina wanting gigi is slightly plausible, I could never imagine Martina being attracted to Conchita, she just isnt her type. Still a pretty laughable theory - other tennis palyers were never Martina's thing to the best of my knowledge., but I guess we can only speculate here sometimes, but when it becomes insulting and laughable you should pull your head in slightly.

Fair to say that Conchita's had the edge over Martina, but she hardly 'owned' her. Most of thier matches were on clay - Martina at that stage of her career wouldnt have taken those losses on clay too hard, but no doubt Martina is irked by the wimbledon that got away - god knows I am lol - but if you knew much about Martina, you'd know that one of her pet hates is wasted potential, having wasted a good few years of her own career with no direction or proper application, and once she 'transformed' Martina hated seeing others not reaching their potential.

Pam Shriver talks about an incident where Gigi had been on the circuit for not long, in 1985, and was abit chubby and hovering around 60,70 or something, and Martina had a word to her one day, told her she 'had game' and could be something and Gigi rose quickly in the rankings soon after and thanked Martina for the confidence boost (Im parahprasing that story - Rollo or Zummi can give detail), and Martina was hurt at the end of the season cuz Gigi was cheering quite loudly against Martina dnpam for someone, cant recall who...

All ive ever read Martina say about Conchita are words around not mkaing the most of potential and how she played one incredible match of her life in the Wimby final - and its goddam true, her mishits that day were landing in the corners - and good on her, but I appreciate Martina's honsety in admitting that one hurt, its a real answer and honest, one of martina's many awesome qualitiesl

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
TonyP said:
I have no idea about Billie Jean's personal life, but I think anyone who thinks lesbian issues don't sometimes play a role in women's tennis is ignoring reality.
"lesbian issues"?

I agree that personal (particularly sexual) relationships certainly play a role in women's tennis, but they are by no means limited to lesbians and lesbianism (how old was Meghann when she started sleeping with her MALE coach and future husband? how many similar relationships can we name without trying hard?) dragging "lesbian issues" out from under a rock when you have no information about King's private life, and no indication she's ever been inappropriate with a player or let her personal relationships with them affect her Fed Cup decsions is really dirty pool (her assumptions about how their relationships with opponents is not the same thing)

I don't agree with all the decisions King has made, or how she's handled them, but I'm amazed at some people's attempts to assign some kind of nefarious motive to them, or concoct pseudo-psychological explanations. That and some of the insults people have hurled at her say far more about the motivations and biases of her detractors than hers.

Reactions: VivalaSeles
1 - 20 of 30 Posts