Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
In my new place!!
23,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bill Cosby has more harsh words for black community

Friday, July 2, 2004 Posted: 2:41 PM EDT (1841 GMT)

CHICAGO, Illinois (AP) -- Bill Cosby went off on another tirade against the black community Thursday, telling a room full of activists that black children are running around not knowing how to read or write and "going nowhere." He also had harsh words for struggling black men, telling them: "Stop beating up your women because you can't find a job."

Cosby made headlines in May when he upbraided some poor blacks for their grammar and accused them of squandering opportunities the civil rights movement gave them.

He shot back Thursday, saying his detractors were trying in vain to hide the black community's "dirty laundry."

"Let me tell you something, your dirty laundry gets out of school at 2:30 every day, it's cursing and calling each other n------ as they're walking up and down the street," Cosby said during an appearance at the Rainbow/PUSH Coalition & Citizenship Education Fund's annual conference.

"They think they're hip," the entertainer said. "They can't read; they can't write. They're laughing and giggling, and they're going nowhere."

In his remarks in May at a commemoration of the anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education desegregation decision, Cosby denounced some blacks' grammar and said those who commit crimes and wind up behind bars "are not political prisoners."

"I can't even talk the way these people talk, 'Why you ain't,' 'Where you is' ... and I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk," Cosby said then. "And then I heard the father talk ... Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth."

Cosby elaborated Thursday on his previous comments in a talk interrupted several times by applause. He castigated some blacks, saying that they cannot simply blame whites for problems such as teen pregnancy and high school dropout rates.

"For me there is a time ... when we have to turn the mirror around," he said. "Because for me it is almost analgesic to talk about what the white man is doing against us. And it keeps a person frozen in their seat, it keeps you frozen in your hole you're sitting in."

Cosby lamented that the racial slurs once used by those who lynched blacks are now a favorite expression of black children. And he blamed parents.

"When you put on a record and that record is yelling 'n----- this and n----- that' and you've got your little 6-year-old, 7-year-old sitting in the back seat of the car, those children hear that," he said.

He also condemned black men who missed out on opportunities and are now angry about their lives.

"You've got to stop beating up your women because you can't find a job, because you didn't want to get an education and now you're (earning) minimum wage," Cosby said. "You should have thought more of yourself when you were in high school, when you had an opportunity."

Cosby appeared Thursday with the Rev. Jesse Jackson, founder and president of the education fund, who defended the entertainer's statements.

"Bill is saying let's fight the right fight, let's level the playing field," Jackson said. "Drunk people can't do that. Illiterate people can't do that."

Cosby also said many young people are failing to honor the sacrifices made by those who struggled and died during the civil rights movement.

"Dogs, water hoses that tear the bark off trees, Emmett Till," he said, naming the black youth who was tortured and murdered in Mississippi in 1955, allegedly for whistling at a white woman. "And you're going to tell me you're going to drop out of school? You're going to tell me you're going to steal from a store?"

Cosby also said he wasn't concerned that some whites took his comments and turned them "against our people."

"Let them talk," he said.

Reactions: Dava

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
I really don't like him, but I agree with his comments.

·
Registered
15,450 Posts
tell it like it is bill!

i think he's right!and he has the right to be pissed because he knows what the black folks from before did so that the black generation of today could get a chance.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
I don't have a problem with what he is saying except when it comes to how men should treat their women. He has no right to tell men how to treat women when he cheated on his wife and possibly fathered a child outside of his marriage.

On a side note, I am interested as to how is he losing his eyesight. I hope he didn't get a sexually transmitted disease from that trailer park creature he slept with:scared:.

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Mr. Cosby is right on target. What was left out of this article was how he went off on criticism of "airing dirty laundry". In summary saying that no white person is going to hear what he's saying and do anything worse with this info than white people were doing to blacks when he was growing up. He's "too old now to care how white people view him."

I was too old to worry about that when I was 14. :lol:

The biggest problem today is that you can't talk to kids; to straighten them out cuz they might be armed.

When I was a teenager the older folks would straighten me out (though I rarely needed it :devil: ) then tell my damn parents so I got it double. :fiery:

Bottom line is if "I'm gonna tell your parents" doesn't cause an instant attitude adjustment, the kid is already lost. :sad:

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
lizchris said:
I don't have a problem with what he is saying except when it comes to how men should treat their women. He has no right to tell men how to treat women when he cheated on his wife and possibly fathered a child outside of his marriage.

On a side note, I am interested as to how is he losing his eyesight. I hope he didn't get a sexually transmitted disease from that trailer park creature he slept with:scared:.
Judging the messenger and not the message is the reason why America (not just black America) is stuck with such shitty leadership.

Just a little food for thought. ;)

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
kiwifan said:
Judging the messenger and not the message is the reason why America (not just black America) is stuck with such shitty leadership.

What's good for the gander is good for the goose. If he doesn't want to be judged, then he shouldn't go around judging other people.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Funny that Bill and his main supporter Rev. Jesse Jackson, both have baby mammas lol. I like his comments and they are the truth and blacks try to hide from them. Caucasians have nothing to worry about because we are going to bring extinction to our race. Its happening in the white community, but not as often, and atleast has some purpose. Just like my city with Marquise Hudspeth. This guy got fatally shot after refusing to pull over and led cops on a chase and pointed a shiny metallic object at officers and he was shot, and the black community has the nerve to be upset about it, but when you ask the question why he did it, they get silent :rolleyes: The family even has a lawsuit against the city for 20 million dollars which is "golddiggerish." They are using it to try and get paid :rolleyes: It was just a big mess for about a year and of course, african american pastors appear in the picture again trying to boycott the city, but have no explanation Why?? a crowd of black men beat up a white cab driver. Im getting carried away, but Bill continue to speak the truth, even though its not likely many will listen. Its to a point where you have to speak the truth, be mean, dirty, and straight up ugly for them to get the picture.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Wile I'm soooooooo not a fan of Bill Cosby, I couldn't agree with him more. And as an African_American I acknowledge that this message is not something that is never delivered by the black leadership in America. I think we ALL (black & white) need to take more responsibility for our lives and our decisions and choices, and stop making excuses for all the shit that corrupt our lives.

·
Banned
756 Posts

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
spartanfan said:
Wile I'm soooooooo not a fan of Bill Cosby, I couldn't agree with him more. And as an African_American I acknowledge that this message is not something that is never delivered by the black leadership in America. I think we ALL (black & white) need to take more responsibility for our lives and our decisions and choices, and stop making excuses for all the shit that corrupt our lives.
The problem I have with some white people is that they DO blame blacks when their kids get into trouble with drugs, etc. Case in point; this morning, I was listening to that human toilet named Curtis Sliwa who said that blacks are to blame for white kids adopting hip hop culture. The sad part is that most white buy into that bullshit as do blacks who don't want to go to school and then buy into the bullshit that the white man is holding them down when they never wanted to be educated in the first place.

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
lizchris said:
What's good for the gander is good for the goose. If he doesn't want to be judged, then he shouldn't go around judging other people.

tell it girl!!

first of HOW DARE HE!!! he needs to think about his baby mama, and how HE's treated the women in his life (i.e. cheated on his wife).

while there is SOME truth to what he is saying. (self responsiblity, and self awareness) i can not state enough that EBONICS, is not the problem, its a sympthom of something bigger.

yes kids have no home training, in part because many have no really homes
yes parents are often the ones who teach thier kids these crazy habits.

yes the system can not be held liable for a man of 35 who beats his wife because he s not living up to his responsiblities.

all that is a given.

however where he vexxes me is that he has offered no solutions no worthy advise just more soap box finger pointing.

believe it or not there are people out there who WANT to go to college and have these mainstream capitalist dreams, but have never heard of finacial aid* and thus think it is beyond them.

(I can not tell you how many people have asked how i was able to afford studying in japan for 3 months: I WASNT federal aid can be used for international study sponsored in part by an accredited universaty in the states, and my guess is most underprivilegded urban dwellers dont know this. i didnt.)

believe it or not just because a young man calls his best friend the n word does not mean he is without goals or dreams.

what about providing programs that do more than select one or two young men for college bound prep courses but programs that instill in young people that yes you can go to college for next to nothing (of course loans are to be expected, but again many reconsolidating now are getting fixed 1-4% interest for the life of the loan.) (even in this day and age) and no you dont not have to be the A+ student to do it either, you just have to commited and willing to work hard.

what about supporting the radical left who tries through varies incitives to increase minmum wages to living wages so that willing parents can spend time learn this conveted main stream english, to help thier kinds.

what about *gasp* cheatin fouls actually talking to young people who use the n word like human beings instead of animals whole and sole responsble for the downfall of all black people everywhere

thisis the kind of info that people need not his bullshit preaching!!

IN SHORT: LESS JUDGING, MORE *ACTION*, *WISDOM*, RESPECT AND COMPASSION. :fiery:

EDIT: my spelling is bad, and i dont care :lol:

EDIT2: in some cases, like mine, fin aid will even cover plane fair on international study terms.

Reactions: harloo

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
tell it girl!!

first of HOW DARE HE!!! he needs to think about his baby mama, and how HE's treated the women in his life (i.e. cheated on his wife).

while there is SOME truth to what he is saying. (self responsiblity, and self awareness) i can not state enough that EBONICS, is not the problem, its a sympthom of something bigger.

yes kids have no home training, in part because many have no really homes
yes parents are often the ones who teach thier kids these crazy habits.

yes the system can not be held liable for a man of 35 who beats his wife because he s not living up to his responsiblities.

all that is a given.

however where he vexxes me is that he has offered no solutions no worthy advise just more soap box finger pointing.

believe it or not there are people out there who WANT to go to college and have these mainstream capitalist dreams, but have never heard of finacial aid* and thus think it is beyond them.

(I can not tell you how many people have asked how i was able to afford studying in japan for 3 months: I WASNT federal aid can be used for international study sponsored in part by an accredited universaty in the states, and my guess is most underprivilegded urban dwellers dont know this. i didnt.)

believe it or not just because a young man calls his best friend the n word does not mean he is without goals or dreams.

what about providing programs that do more than select one or two young men for college bound prep courses but programs that instill in young people that yes you can go to college for next to nothing (of course loans are to be expected, but again many reconsolidating now are getting fixed 1-4% interest for the life of the loan.) (even in this day and age) and no you dont not have to be the A+ student to do it either, you just have to commited and willing to work hard.

what about supporting the radical left who tries through varies incitives to increase minmum wages to living wages so that willing parents can spend time learn this conveted main stream english, to help thier kinds.

what about *gasp* cheatin fouls actually talking to young people who use the n word like human beings instead of animals whole and sole responsble for the downfall of all black people everywhere

thisis the kind of info that people need not his bullshit preaching!!

IN SHORT: LESS JUDGING, MORE *ACTION*, *WISDOM*, RESPECT AND COMPASSION. :fiery:

EDIT: my spelling is bad, and i dont care :lol:

EDIT2: in some cases, like mine, fin aid will even cover plane fair on international study terms.
Again, I agree with most of what he is saying, except for the morality issures. Notice he has stayed away from speaking of fidelity.

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
kiwifan said:

]

truth.

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
lizchris said:
Again, I agree with most of what he is saying, except for the morality issures. Notice he has stayed away from speaking of fidelity.

he he that goes without saying.

i guess the way i see it, he is pointing out issues that are well known (at least to some) but not offering solutions, so hes just talking.

i went to college with people who just list everything thats wrong with the world, but never offered anything. so when i see that i go on tirades, as seen above :) :devil:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I think that he is trying to use scare tactics to straighten out the black community and I think its very much needed. They aren't going to respect somebody who is fake and sugarcoats the problems facing society.

I think you spoke too soon, because he probably will be coming out with solutions in his future speeches and the first thing in solving a solution, is identifying the problem.

Respect and Compassion!!!! You have to show it before you get it, especially to your elders.

He's stated that he was talking to the parents who were failing at doing their job.

Im sorry but I dont believe that "well thats how he grew up", etc shit. If you want to become successful and resistant to ignorance, then you will overcome, no matter the situation, even though your environment is a strong influence.

"believe it or not just because a young man calls his best friend the n word does not mean he is without goals or dreams." He didn't state that, he said that they were saying that and didn't know how to read or write. Many blacks have a hard time distinguishing between what is talk with friends and when you need to act and speak professional. Im sorry but the n word shouldn't even be used esp. among blacks, its a degrading word, used during slave days. It is an insult to be called one, but they don't know, thats what I think he is trying to explain, the mentality, that they dont know what the word means or its origins, but just want to shout it out and with it disrespect. But blacks become outraged when a white uses the same word and labels them "racist", when they said the exact same word.

All im going to say is that there are plenty of opportunities out there, but they simply dont want them. You cant say they aren't informed about it, and this doesn't have to include higher education. I know somebody who dropped out of high school to lay brick and concrete, only 17 and is making 6 digit figures. He could go back to school, earn his associates degree and maybe his masters, once he is settled. They simply dont want to work and when they get the results, they want to blame, the white man is "holding them back."

·
Registered
10,491 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
he he that goes without saying.

i guess the way i see it, he is pointing out issues that are well known (at least to some) but not offering solutions, so hes just talking.

i went to college with people who just list everything thats wrong with the world, but never offered anything. so when i see that i go on tirades, as seen above :) :devil:
imo, its disrespectful to compare a bunch of spolied, whiny college kids to bill cosby. he has been involved in a bunch of charity organizations, and has contributed more than his share to society.

and yeah, hes pointing out issues that people do know about, but IGNORE in an attempt to make it go away. first you have to accept there is a problem before you can work on it...

1 - 20 of 211 Posts