• Justine-Kim the "belgium sistahs"

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Capriati- she can do it....she can do it

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Davenport- she has the guns

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Amelie-If shes not choking on her own raquet...maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • the RUSSIANS-Sharapova, kournikova(not)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nobody-those girls cant do nuthin'!

Votes: 16 21.1%
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously Justine...but this is a more general type of thread, i would like to know how everyone feels about the top ten and there threat towards the sisters?

id say the order would go something like this

1. Justine- Kim

2. Jennifer

3. Amelie-Lindsay

Thats all folks, i cant see any other players Challenging Serena on any kind of level save these 5 ladies...and id have to give the edge to Jennifer on hard courts because of her record period alone.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
Define threat

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Right now the wta is: Williams 2x vs the Belgians, with the Williamses above the Belgians....the slams tell it all. Almost all the big titles went to one of the foursome.

The rest of the field has ways to go before they can catch up.

·
Registered
43,627 Posts
Jennifer is too inconsistent to challenge for the top, IMO. And she struggles in three sets against the top players.

Lindsay has a mental issue, and seems injury prone.

Amelie also seems to have a mental issue. She never steps up for the big matches (like Kim).

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I dont think Davey or Momo are a real threat at all. Too injured and too mental for them. Justine seems to be the biggest threat right now. The Russians are over-rated. Cappy is a ?. I like what I have seen from her this year----lots of improvements in her game (fitness, serve, moving forward and volleying) and I like her attitude.. Besides Justine, I think she has got the best shot at dominating the WTA and winning matches against V+S

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Venus is not dominating. She won just one title this year and has been the bridesmaid way too often lately. It's the Serena and Justine show at the moment. No one else. But who will challenge? I think Venus and Kim are the best bets. Jen could get a win here and there over them, but I think she won't do it consistently.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
I would add. The incompatibility between playing the way they play and their body's ability to sustain that level often enough to remain number one. The probability of them causing severe damage to themselves. The loss of their surprise factor. Their dislike of the tour and the sheer endurance required if they wish to go for any of the records in the record book.

On the other hand Serena may win the next 8 GS........

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Keith - You are a little irrational, my friend.
If VENUS has been in 5 slam finals and whips JHH 95% of the time and takes out Clijsters with while severely injured, then how in the hell can she not be dominating the rest of the tour?

Anyway, everyone has their own opinion, that is why this is a message board, eh? :)

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
fammmmedspin said:
I would add. The incompatibility between playing the way they play and their body's ability to sustain that level often enough to remain number one. The probability of them causing severe damage to themselves. The loss of their surprise factor. Their dislike of the tour and the sheer endurance required if they wish to go for any of the records in the record book.

On the other hand Serena may win the next 8 GS........
You bet she can! The girl´s improvement at the slams is scary!
99-00 almost only fourth rounds( 1 final and a semi)
00-01: only qtrs( 1 final lost)
02-03: only finals and a semi!

If she can keep that up..8 more GS´s ain´t that farfetched.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Tee Rexx- No, Venus is not the most dominant. She might be third most dominant, and even Jen has a more recent slam than her. And the last time Jen or Venus beat Serena was 2 years ago. Justine has beaten both and has 2 slams this year. Even Clijsters has beaten both in the past year. Venus may be doing alright, but she falters in the final stage. Consistently not winning slams does not equal dominance anyway you slice it. JHH does not falter in the final stage. And she beat Serena at a slam this year. but Venus is ranked 6 now and there is good reason for it.

·
Registered
26,637 Posts
~\/enus~ said:
It's funny no one has picked Amelie....cuz she is the only one who has beatn both the sisters this year. :eek:

If you count Venus' default against her as a loss.
Momo has everything but the adaptability. Which is strange in that her coach, Loic Courteau, coached Emilie through '02 and thus "taught her" that very quality so well she came fairly close to a historic upset of Serena in Oz. (My opinion is that the bigger, stronger Momo may be too "proud" to use the kind of junkball game that worked so well for Le Little Lefty, which was shown for all 2C a scant month later in the Paris Indoor final).

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
There is no "williams dominance" anymore so this question is moot. There is a "williams/belgian" dominance with venus and kim bringing up the rear to serena and justine. Those are the four best players in the world right now and together they are dominating.

Reactions: Sam L

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
agree with everything BUT the "inability of Jennifer" nope Jens game is fine against the sistahs!

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Keith said:
Tee Rexx- No, Venus is not the most dominant. She might be third most dominant, and even Jen has a more recent slam than her. And the last time Jen or Venus beat Serena was 2 years ago. Justine has beaten both and has 2 slams this year. Even Clijsters has beaten both in the past year. Venus may be doing alright, but she falters in the final stage. Consistently not winning slams does not equal dominance anyway you slice it. JHH does not falter in the final stage. And she beat Serena at a slam this year. but Venus is ranked 6 now and there is good reason for it.
It's not fair to say that Venus falters at the final stage because she has faced Serena the last 5 times in the GS finals, and Justine has only faced a choking Clijsters this year in GS finals. Justine faced Venus before in a GS final and Justine got mirked. Put Justine in a GS final with Serena or Venus and see what she does. Justine may have won 2 GS this year, but she lost the last 7 to Venus including one this year. Venus is ranked #6 because she is injured. Of course JHH won't falter in a GS final with someone like Clijsters on the other side of the net.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
596 Posts
bandabou said:
Right now the wta is: Williams 2x vs the Belgians, with the Williamses above the Belgians....the slams tell it all. Almost all the big titles went to one of the foursome.

The rest of the field has ways to go before they can catch up.
Actually, if you follow the slams, like you always tell, it's
1 Justine
2 Serena
3 Kim
4 Venus

:wavey:

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Knizzle said:
It's not fair to say that Venus falters at the final stage because she has faced Serena the last 5 times in the GS finals, and Justine has only faced a choking Clijsters this year in GS finals. Justine faced Venus before in a GS final and Justine got mirked. Put Justine in a GS final with Serena or Venus and see what she does. Justine may have won 2 GS this year, but she lost the last 7 to Venus including one this year. Venus is ranked #6 because she is injured. Of course JHH won't falter in a GS final with someone like Clijsters on the other side of the net.
Well said! In fact Venus ain´t that shabby, because she´s the only person to beat Serena in a slam-final. Justine´s been good in her last two slam finals...but there´s a whole step from beating Kim than beating a sister. No disrespect to Kim, but the girl didn´t even play in the two finals this year.

·
596 Posts
Knizzle said:
Of course, a slam is not just the final, and what you forget to say is that justine did beat serena in paris, and capriati (somebody who was ranked way above justine in all those "hard court rankings" of most posters) in new york :)

·
596 Posts
bandabou said:
Well said! In fact Venus ain´t that shabby, because she´s the only person to beat Serena in a slam-final. Justine´s been good in her last two slam finals...but there´s a whole step from beating Kim than beating a sister. No disrespect to Kim, but the girl didn´t even play in the two finals this year.
As i just said, she did beat serena in paris, and i think serena is one of the sisters you are talking about ...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.