Tennis Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
38,232 Posts
Neither are part of the story, though. They already had their breakthroughs, in 2019 and 2020 respectively. But while we're on the topic....

Swiatek maintaining a top 10 ranking and having the most consistent year at the majors of any player is more than just "good", and double bageling a top 10 ranked former #1 and soon-to-be Wimbledon finalist in the final of a massive non-major tournament is more than just "good". It was almost the textbook definition of good: it was clearly not a great season, seeing as she didn't win a major, but I think you can only point to the four major titleists plus Sabalenka and Muguruza for find players who had better seasons. And you could argue at least one of the major titleists. You feeling she's "ordinary" says more about you than anything else - she was the 6th or 7th best player this season, and that's definitely not "ordinary".

And Andreescu is a full 18 months older than the next oldest player (MCOS) I brought up, so including her as part of this year's youth movement is doubly strange.
She was ninth best player, and I'm pretty sure all three players directly ahead of her (who you did not mention) would consider their seasons to be more successful considering they shattered expectations while Iga did not. I agree that she had quite a steady season — one of the better sophomore seasons we've seen in a while — but besides Rome it was pretty forgettable.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Neither are part of the story, though. They already had their breakthroughs, in 2019 and 2020 respectively. But while we're on the topic....
They fundamentally are. Hyping players who are doing worse than they did while they are having come down years at the same time is pure shiny new toy syndrome.

Swiatek maintaining a top 10 ranking and having the most consistent year at the majors of any player is more than just "good", and double bageling a top 10 ranked former #1 and soon-to-be Wimbledon finalist in the final of a massive non-major tournament is more than just "good". It was almost the textbook definition of good: it was clearly not a great season, seeing as she didn't win a major, but I think you can only point to the four major titleists plus Sabalenka and Muguruza for find players who had better seasons. And you could argue at least one of the major titleists. You feeling she's "ordinary" says more about you than anything else - she was the 6th or 7th best player this season, and that's definitely not "ordinary".
They aren't meant to just feel good, they are meant to feel extraordinary.

Swiatek didn't just fail to win a major, she managed a grand total of 4 QF's over the course of the year, 2 of which came at premier level. She beat who she should beat at slam level, which is more than be said for everyone else on tour and good from a development perspective but from a story perspective is utterly underwhelming.

For the record:
Swiatek: W: Rome | Adelaide SF: Ostrava QF: RG
Badosa: W: IW | Belgrade SF: Lyon | Charleston | Madrid | Guadalajara QF: RG | Olympics | Cincinnati
Bencic: W: Olympics F: Berlin | Adelaide QF: USO | Madrid | Cincinnati
Pliskova: F: Rome | Wimbledon | Montreal SF: Cincinnati QF: USO

She's 9th at best and that's only if you put winning Rome over a Wimbledon final. If Serena had Pliskova's year it would be easily better than Swiatek's but given Pliskova's career is littered with her failing to win anything it doesn't add to her lustre the same way.

And Andreescu is a full 18 months older than the next oldest player (MCOS) I brought up, so including her as part of this year's youth movement is doubly strange.
2021 was her first season following up 2019 after 2020 was a total write off and in any world where she had a great season she'd hyped as young kid taking the throne rather than being erased as a grizzly veteran having a mediocre season.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Pen Shuai!
Has anyone mentioned this???
It happened after the original Post I would say it's top 3 if not the biggest for sure, in terms of international significance--really Osaka not wanting answer press questions????? think about it. It's nothing compared to this.

·
Registered
11,952 Posts
Pen Shuai!
Has anyone mentioned this???
It happened after the original Post I would say it's top 3 if not the biggest for sure, in terms of international significance--really Osaka not wanting answer press questions????? think about it. It's nothing compared to this.
I actually think it is now the biggest story as it has crossed over into the main press, is affecting the Winter Olympics and diplomatic relations between China and the West. It also will have big repercussions on the WTA Tour in the future as the China events will be gone at least for a few years, I think.

·
Registered
117,748 Posts
I think the hard line Simon is drawing means top level wta tennis is gone from China
They have an Olympics soon and this is a potential huge problem, while tennis is small potatoes to China
But it could have happened anyway, since covid shut down tennis in China, they might have told the wta to get lost without this.
I still think #1 is the crazy parity, where anyone can lose early, anyone can be in the semis. Hard to promote stars in this atmosphere

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Thank you on all on TF for compiling an amazing list of year end highlights.

We have our list finalized and we’re counting down the the top 10 tennis stories of the year this week on Fantastic Tennis.

From mice in Melbourne to Emma’s Cinderella run to the haunting story of Peng Shuai. We leave no stone unturned. I have also enlisted 3 members of Tennis Forum to join me and give their opinions on this crazy year. We also give out some fun awards that only huge tennis fans would ever think of lol.

I think this will be one of the most comprehensive 2021 recap shows you’ll hear, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!

🎙Free link to the show below.

View attachment 201921
It is a good season analysis but i didn't like the way you discuss Djokovic.

It seemed to me that you have thoroughly decontextualized Novak's withdrawal from Olympics. First of all, he went to Olympics after a exhausting Wimbledon run and without giving a break in between and he said that he wouldn't go to Olympics due to tiring restrictions. It was a double edge sword for him. If he didn't go, this could have been found as selfish indeed and negated by the public in his country. He did a heroic sacrifice in this sense but i think he really wanted to break golden slam record as well. But he run out of gas during the semi-final, he was totally done before mixed doubles match and he played long match for bronze, it would have been a clear futile attempt and a lost cause to play against experienced Aussie XD team. Nina S. didn't share something negative about on this issue. Novak might have even promised her to play in 2028.

I also don't like Novak but not like typical ''western'' media that finds Novak selfish and snob only but not the other big 2 ( they are equally disgustingly selfish imo, remember Fed's inceptive years, racquet throws, insults) which indeed nurtures Novak and elevates him to a cult statue in Serbia. Indeed his selfishness is barely different than Federer and Nadal and can only be inverse symmetrical. Literally what makes the others less selfish? Novak founded PTPA to protect his collogues even.

It is true, i despise some of his behaviors and moronic anti-vax views. My distaste from him is rather like his neighbor living next door with the consciousness of being in the same boat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
It is a good season analysis but i didn't like the way you discuss Djokovic.

It seemed to me that you have thoroughly decontextualized Novak's withdrawal from Olympics. First of all, he went to Olympics after a exhausting Wimbledon run and without giving a break in between and he said that he wouldn't go to Olympics due to tiring restrictions. It was a double edge sword for him. If he didn't go, this could have been found as selfish indeed and negated by the public in his country. He did a heroic sacrifice in this sense but i think he really wanted to break golden slam record as well. But he run out of gas during the semi-final, he was totally done before mixed doubles match and he played long match for bronze, it would have been a clear futile attempt and a lost cause to play against experienced Aussie XD team. Nina S. didn't share something negative about on this issue. Novak might have even promised her to play in 2028.

I also don't like Novak but not like typical ''western'' media that finds Novak selfish and snob only but not the other big 2 ( they are equally disgustingly selfish imo, remember Fed's inceptive years, racquet throws, insults) which indeed nurtures Novak and elevates him to a cult statue in Serbia. Indeed his selfishness is barely different than Federer and Nadal and can only be inverse symmetrical. Literally what makes the others less selfish? Novak founded PTPA to protect his collogues even.

It is true, i despise some of his behaviors and moronic anti-vax views. My distaste from him is rather like his neighbor living next door with the consciousness of being in the same boat.
A great analysis. Thank you for listening and for sharing your sentiment & feedback. I would like to have some other voices - non Americans share their thoughts on future round tables….I’d especially like to hear Novak’s fandom and troubles with the press explained by someone in his fan base.

Thank you again. I appreciate the reply.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
she was more than runner -up.
She was a teenager ranked in the 70s who took out #2, #3 & #5. who electrified the USO crowds, and their fav over whoever that other one was--Radu something or other-- who has done nothing but lose since the USO
If you can't remember her name because she finished 2nd at the USo, that speaks more to your lack of memory and cognition (but of course you do remember her name, you're just pretending not to, because you're trying to demean her, but all you do is reveal your own character) ((was that OK mods? Did I hit the right TF tone with that one?)) than her lack of significance.

LOL "The history books" you're quite the pompous one
yeah.......listen girl....ease off the red bull....you are taking the bait WAY too easy......just saying. The part in bold?......no she wasn't ....she LOST. No one will remember who the runner up was in 2 or 3 years.....that's just the way it works.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
Genie's shoulder surgery (and impending return to the top) is definitely a top story of the year though. Plus all her fascinating off-court activity.
dude....the Genie fantasy is a little overdone.....BTW she has a boyfriend, and I think the dating the fan thing was a one off.....just saying.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
she was more than runner -up.
She was a teenager ranked in the 70s who took out #2, #3 & #5. who electrified the USO crowds, and their fav over whoever that other one was--Radu something or other-- who has done nothing but lose since the USO
If you can't remember her name because she finished 2nd at the USo, that speaks more to your lack of memory and cognition (but of course you do remember her name, you're just pretending not to, because you're trying to demean her, but all you do is reveal your own character) ((was that OK mods? Did I hit the right TF tone with that one?)) than her lack of significance.
Someone is salty.

Fernandez was absolutely the story of the US Open until the final. And then she lost - both the match, and the story.

That's no shame. The list of teenaged US Open finalists is short and impressive. It's very likely she'll have a very good career. But pretending she's somehow the real winner of that US Open in every way but the trophy is laughable, and all it does is turn neutral posters off of her.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts