Tennis Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
... their fav over whoever that other one was--Radu something or other-- who has done nothing but lose since the USO ...
If you can't remember her name [Fernandez] because she finished 2nd at the USo, that speaks more to your lack of memory and cognition (but of course you do remember her name, you're just pretending not to, because you're trying to demean her, but all you do is reveal your own character)
Talk about a lack of self-awareness.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
she was more than runner -up.
She was a teenager ranked in the 70s who took out #2, #3 & #5. who electrified the USO crowds, and their fav over whoever that other one was--Radu something or other-- who has done nothing but lose since the USO
If you can't remember her name because she finished 2nd at the USo, that speaks more to your lack of memory and cognition (but of course you do remember her name, you're just pretending not to, because you're trying to demean her, but all you do is reveal your own character) ((was that OK mods? Did I hit the right TF tone with that one?)) than her lack of significance.

LOL "The history books" you're quite the pompous one
Hey there Leylah’s mom! :wavey:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sourpuss Osaka's spectacular blow up that was so off putting people were lashing out at Simone Biles during the Olympics due to their total contempt for Osaka's antics. The best part though was the kid that was trying to vulture a mixed doubles gold riding her more established partners coattails took destiny it into her own hands and won solo gold. The Olympic Cinderella's didn't get anything like the fanfare the USO teens got but the career arcs that led to that final were far more compelling than the cheap bolt from the blue narrative the USO produced.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I am very disappointed. There is a human being not to be found in the country known for crimes against humanity and people really think that qualifier winning a title is the discussion we should have.

Ather sports institutions and athletes already raised their voice against OG in China and why its important. But tennis world is on mute…:scratch:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
The fact that Venus Williams was by far the most glamorous individual at the Met. Sure this is not the place to discuss fashion, but hey Venus left everyone in the dust. Her career studying fashion paid off, and I thought she out shined EVERYONE at that event - hands down. Had to get that in.......

·
Registered
415 Posts
My top 5:
Osaka DRAMA + one of the faces of Tokyo and a 4th slam

The SF fields at FO and USO, particularly the latter culminating in that iconic final

Barty’s Wimbledon run was one of the most 😭 and proud slam wins I’ve ever experienced. That final was crazy too.

Peng Shuai, it’s mainstream news and quietly chilling

Quarantine drama at AO (whether you agree or disagree with the measures, it caused a lot of intrigue and discussion here) + general covid era experiences for players

HM: Ostapenko-Tomljanovic spat; Barty YE#1 hat trick; CSN comeback farewell; the top 10 new faces and plummet exits

The Op’s mention of the Williams absences and Clijsters comeback are completely irrelevant to me. I’d argue that even Haleps injuries (and marriage intrigue) overshadowed that a tad.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thank you on all on TF for compiling an amazing list of year end highlights.

We have our list finalized and we’re counting down the the top 10 tennis stories of the year this week on Fantastic Tennis.

From mice in Melbourne to Emma’s Cinderella run to the haunting story of Peng Shuai. We leave no stone unturned. I have also enlisted 3 members of Tennis Forum to join me and give their opinions on this crazy year. We also give out some fun awards that only huge tennis fans would ever think of lol.

I think this will be one of the most comprehensive 2021 recap shows you’ll hear, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!

🎙Free link to the show below.

Clothing Smile Product Happy Poster

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
One week on, I think I'd have to reorganize my 7 original picks as follows:

1. Osaka's media meltdown takes top spot, followed by...
2. Peng Shuai and the WTA's relationship with China, followed by....
3. Barty's continued cross-surface excellence (with a footnote about her 6+ month road trip), followed by...
4. Raducanu's fairytale run and subsequent overexposure, followed by....
5. The youth movement in the WTA (with 12 players under 21 in the top 100, plus a few just outside) followed by....
6. The emergence if the transitional generation (Jabeur, Sakkari, Kontaveit, etc.) in the top 10, followed by....
7. The downshift of top 10 mainstays Halep-Svitolina-Pliskova.

I think the Peng Shuai story jumps up to JUST behind Osaka's because it's caused an international media frenzy and might be the straw to break the camel's back. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a boycott of some sort of the upcoming 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, and while this isn't the sole cause, it's absolutely a contributing factor.

I also think the youth movement jumps up a bit when I started thinking back about the big moments this year - MCOS and Tauson and Fernandez and Raducanu winning their first titles, Kostyuk reestablishing herself as a prospect, and Gauff cracking the top 20 on the back of some VERY impressive results (esp. on clay), it's a really big deal, bigger than either the inevitable decline of aging top 5ers (Halep, Svitolina, Pliskova) or the emergence of middle-aged top 10ers (Jabeur, Kontaveit, Sakkari).

·
Registered
13,792 Posts
I see that Peng's story has now probably outshone, out dramatised, out shocked Osaka's media mental meltdown and subsequent performance.
I am not sure that our consistent numero uno until Jesus comes is something out of the ordinary, maybe had it been last year with the break.
As for Kim, the less said, the better.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I also think the youth movement jumps up a bit when I started thinking back about the big moments this year - MCOS and Tauson and Fernandez and Raducanu winning their first titles, Kostyuk reestablishing herself as a prospect, and Gauff cracking the top 20 on the back of some VERY impressive results (esp. on clay), it's a really big deal, bigger than either the inevitable decline of aging top 5ers (Halep, Svitolina, Pliskova) or the emergence of middle-aged top 10ers (Jabeur, Kontaveit, Sakkari).
Andreescu bombing and Swiatek having a "good" year that wasn't actually good were much bigger youth stories than everything except Raducanu winning the USO. People have memory holed that and somehow act like Tauson winning Luxembourg is a bigger than the fact the two players everyone was hyping to the sky the previous years feel so ordinary. Even Raducanu is brought down by them, people aren't thinking she's going to win 5 titles next year and have a Sharapova style year even if she doesn't win a slam, they are thinking she's going to at best at stabilise and at worst just flat out suck.

·
Registered
117,748 Posts
#1 story is the parity. 4 majors, Olympics, YEC with 12 different finalists
#2 is all teen US Open final
#3 is whatever is happening with Osaka
#4 is the current story with China, which has gone way beyond wta to global news

Reactions: pigeye23

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Andreescu bombing and Swiatek having a "good" year that wasn't actually good were much bigger youth stories than everything except Raducanu winning the USO. People have memory holed that and somehow act like Tauson winning Luxembourg is a bigger than the fact the two players everyone was hyping to the sky the previous years feel so ordinary. Even Raducanu is brought down by them, people aren't thinking she's going to win 5 titles next year and have a Sharapova style year even if she doesn't win a slam, they are thinking she's going to at best at stabilise and at worst just flat out suck.
Neither are part of the story, though. They already had their breakthroughs, in 2019 and 2020 respectively. But while we're on the topic....

Swiatek maintaining a top 10 ranking and having the most consistent year at the majors of any player is more than just "good", and double bageling a top 10 ranked former #1 and soon-to-be Wimbledon finalist in the final of a massive non-major tournament is more than just "good". It was almost the textbook definition of good: it was clearly not a great season, seeing as she didn't win a major, but I think you can only point to the four major titleists plus Sabalenka and Muguruza for find players who had better seasons. And you could argue at least one of the major titleists. You feeling she's "ordinary" says more about you than anything else - she was the 6th or 7th best player this season, and that's definitely not "ordinary".

And Andreescu is a full 18 months older than the next oldest player (MCOS) I brought up, so including her as part of this year's youth movement is doubly strange.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts