Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
You missed Fernandez.
Her ride to the USO final was far more impressive than Radu's. YOu cannot mention Radu at the USO and leave out Fernandez. Huge misjudgment.
Neither the history books, nor the general public, concern themselves with runners-up.

The story of the year was Osaka’s hubris in buying into her own hype ahead of the Olympics and then tamely flopping to a barely top 50 player. Whose name I cannot remember because she finished second.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
You missed Fernandez.
Her ride to the USO final was far more impressive than Radu's. YOu cannot mention Radu at the USO and leave out Fernandez. Huge misjudgment.
And yet here we are, mentioning Raducanu's victory without mentioning her final opponent. Yes, Fernandez was the biggest story at that US Open until the final. But Raducanu left with both the trophy and the narrative.

It's almost like winning the title is a bigger accomplishment than reaching the final, even if the road to the final was far more difficult and impressive for Fernandez. Funny, isn't it?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I don't understand why topics 2 and 7 are even on your list. They shouldn't make the top 50 stories, never mind the top 10.

I would definitely include Ons Jabeur in the top 10 stories of the year.

What about Ana Konjuh's return to the top 100 after all her injury problems ?

Mayar Sherif making it into the top 100 ? Camila Osorio and Clara Tauson ? Perhaps one topic covering all the new names in the top 100.
I definitely think not having Venus and especially Serena on court was still a major story this season. I think it ties in directly to the “changing of the guard” mentality that the WTA faced this year. Adapting to a tour without the marketability and dominance of a player like Serena was a big problem (ie quotes from Flavia Pennetta and Lisa Raymond about the tour not being as “hard” as it once was) and it will continue to be a big issue for the WTA. Luckily new players like Emma, Iga are stepping up, but they are nowhere near the celebrity of a Serena yet.

Kim - fair, maybe not top 10…but I’m ALWAYS partial to a comeback, especially a former #1. I think that ties into the idea that someone like Kim still believes she can win with the current state of the tour.

My next episode our next week is Lisa Raymond and she talks about tour life today VS what she felt the tour was like when she played. Fascinating

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
You missed Fernandez.
Definitely. I think the younger players stepping up in general was a great storyline.

Maybe I’ll just change it to “the out of left field” 2021 all teenager US Open Final. 🤪🎾

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Barty on top for 3rd year in a row is the fake product you buy after a clever advertising. It should come with an asterisk.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Neither the history books, nor the general public, concern themselves with runners-up.

The story of the year was Osaka’s hubris in buying into her own hype ahead of the Olympics and then tamely flopping to a barely top 50 player. Whose name I cannot remember because she finished second.
Not if the runners up themselves become slam winners. I still think of the 1997 US Open as Venus’s breakout rather than Martina’s assertion of dominance that year.

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
In order of importance:

1. Raducanu's Cinderella run at US Open: A qualifier winning 10 matches to win the title.
2. Generation Z Osaka vs. Old School Media, a privileged story that hides behind mental health after failed attempt to pay your way out.
3. Maria, Serena, Venus are friends and cannot wait for Maria to come back sooner at the Met Gala.
4. A quiet Barty holding on #1 for the 3rd consecutive years in a row. Doesn't even need the Finals to keep it.
5. Peng claimed sexually assaulted by former Chinese leader and has since been censored and nowhere to be reached. WTA CEO Simon's comment may affect future tour operations in China.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

she was more than runner -up.
She was a teenager ranked in the 70s who took out #2, #3 & #5. who electrified the USO crowds, and their fav over whoever that other one was--Radu something or other-- who has done nothing but lose since the USO
If you can't remember her name because she finished 2nd at the USo, that speaks more to your lack of memory and cognition (but of course you do remember her name, you're just pretending not to, because you're trying to demean her, but all you do is reveal your own character) ((was that OK mods? Did I hit the right TF tone with that one?)) than her lack of significance.

LOL "The history books" you're quite the pompous one

·
Registered
38,232 Posts
she was more than runner -up.
She was a teenager ranked in the 70s who took out #2, #3 & #5. who electrified the USO crowds, and their fav over whoever that other one was--Radu something or other-- who has done nothing but lose since the USO
If you can't remember her name because she finished 2nd at the USo, that speaks more to your lack of memory and cognition (but of course you do remember her name, you're just pretending not to, because you're trying to demean her, but all you do is reveal your own character) ((was that OK mods? Did I hit the right TF tone with that one?)) than her lack of significance.

LOL "The history books" you're quite the pompous one
We get it. You like FERNANDEZ.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
TRUST ONLINE MINING SHOP

ORDER YOUR MINER TODAY

NEWS

Worldwide delivery of mining equipment №1

Order your miner today

Delivery DHL 3-7 days

Go away you